Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
No. It is not stated as such.

"A beneficiary (other than a surviving spouse) must take the money in a single payment within five 5 years after your death. "

I am awaiting further clarifications; IRS rules allow a distribution to a stretch ira, plan wording is quoted above however vague. Many estate planning books/research suggest that I rollover to ensure the stretch ira, my attorney wants to see my written plan to make a final determination.
Technically, a full lump sum rollover to an inherited IRA satisfies that requirement.

Try to see if you can find a document 402(f) Notice of Special Tax Rules on Distributions for your plan.

hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
Talked to my 401 k (Fidelity) administrator today.

First question :
I want to withdraw about $20K in 2016,. What is the process?

For withdrawals after termination or retirement, you can:
a) get a lump sum payable in cash
b) direct rollover to IRA
c) partial rollover to IRA and rest in cash

I do see this is stated in the fine print on page 52 of one of my many 401 k documents; well there was one more option but it's not meaningful to me.

I didn't ask any more questions because this answer is a problem for me.

This appears to be a major issue with my 401 k plan. I had thought to withdraw 2-3% from the 401 k as needed for several years/decades. Apparently this is not possible. Correction: unless I wait till 70 1/2 and go with the MRD/RMD distributions.

This pretty much forces me to rollover the 401 k when I start needing the money.

The rep told me this policy is common for many or most 401 k plans.

I wonder what else I don't know.

DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW's plan only allows withdrawals 90 days apart. Not something I was expecting. I guess this is something everyone needs to look at.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
DW's plan only allows withdrawals 90 days apart. Not something I was expecting. I guess this is something everyone needs to look at.
I would be very happy with a withdrawal permitted every 90 days; actually once a year withdrawal from the 401 k would be fine.

I took a much closer look at costs yesterday, 401 k, Vanguard and Fidelity. For my current portfolio, 401 k investment expenses are 0.09%, and the equivalent Fidelity investment expenses are 0.22%. It's not a huge percentage difference, until I multiply it by the portfolio value and then multiply by 40 years.

The Vanguard investment expenses are comparable to the 401 k expenses.

The 401 k has management costs of $34 per year. Fidelity IRA has no annual fee. Vanguard IRA has no annual fee (assuming large investments in any fund).

DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote