Join Early Retirement Today

Rolling TIRA accounts to 401K, small change remaining
Old 01-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rolling TIRA accounts to 401K, small change remaining

We have total 4 TIRA accounts that we are in the processing of rolling over to our 401K accounts. When we are done, we will have just Non-deductible IRA and we will convert them to Roth. By year end of 2020, we will have $0 balance for TIRA accounts so no pro-rata rule applies, except we have small change remaining now.

Two TIRA accounts have small interest amounts remaining after we rolled over all cash into 401K. One with $2.33, and one with $0.24. I plan to roll over again the one with $2.33. But the one with $0.24, I wonder if it is necessary to do anything since TurboTax seems to drop all small cents after full dollar amount.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did something similar ~ 10 years ago. If I were in your shoes, I would just leave the interest in the TIRAs and when you do your Roth conversion you will pay tax on a few dollars of interest.

If I am not mistaken, you will have to file IRS form 8606 either way. Hopefully you should be an old pro by now with form 8606 if you have made non-deductible IRA contributions along the way, having submitted an 8606 each year you made a non-deductible contribution.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I rolled a TIRA from Fido to Schwab a couple of years ago and ended up with a Fido balance of a few cents. I assumed it was interest that had not been credited when the transfer happened. Like you I wondered what to do with it. The next time I looked it was gone and my Schwab account had the few cents of credit. I don't remember the elapsed time. Maybe a week or two after the initial transfer?
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I suspect this is why I have $1.18 in an old Roth account in Vanguard, which I mentioned in another thread about Vanguard. Funny thing is I only see it in the paper end of year account statement. I can't see it anywhere online, nor did the Flagship rep I asked about this. They say they are checking further into it after I scanned and PM'd them with the paper statement.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote