Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 116

If you are 62 w/social security, is there a way move from IRAS to a Roth IRA without loosing your shirt ?

bobbee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Roth
Old 02-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,619
Re: Roth

I assume you mean tax deferred IRA's to a ROTH. Kind of hard as you will have to pay the taxes due to move it to ROTH. Several are moving just enough to stay within the same tax bracket each year on an annual phased basis. You probably will move more of you SS into taxable income (up to the 85% limit) which, I think, you are getting at by your OP.

An alternative may be to just apply to the SS Administration to withdraw your SS application and repay them any benefits you have received. If you are just 62 and started the benefit it will not be a large repayment. Any repayment of benefits can be deducted as a above the line credit for the tax year you actually make the repayment. After this is done you could then be in a better tax and taxable income position to convert your TIRA to ROTH. The form you will want to use is a SSA-521 which is available from the SS site. (

Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Roth or not to Roth Helen FIRE and Money 3 02-07-2007 12:00 AM
Roth IRA & Timber Rights/Tree Farm terminator FIRE and Money 6 07-16-2006 04:09 PM
Not eligible for Roth IRA - conversion? Lusitan FIRE and Money 9 02-23-2006 11:00 AM
Roth 401k - Coming January 2006 Roth401k Other topics 12 06-16-2005 05:59 PM
Tax Deferred to Roth Strategy mccl FIRE and Money 10 06-09-2004 12:08 PM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.