Join Early Retirement Today

ROTH 403b and 457b with the Legend Group
Old 12-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

ROTH 403b and 457b with the Legend Group

Hi, my employer is offering a 403b, ROTH 403b plan and a 457b plan with this investment company called the The Legend Group. Has anyone heard of them or have experience with them? They offer some Vanguard funds that Im looking into so Im kind of partial with them. Another group Im looking at is GWN securities, does anyone have any experience with them? Also Im new with 403b's and ROTH 403b's and 457b plans, can anyone explain the difference between them and a 401k or a IRA? Should I take a ROTH 403b and a 457b plan? What are the advantages or disadvantages of doing so? How can I utilize such plans to retire early (age 45, Im currently 30)? Im new to all this, so I am willing to learn. Thank you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcast5000 View Post
Also Im new with 403b's and ROTH 403b's and 457b plans, can anyone explain the difference between them and a 401k or a IRA? Should I take a ROTH 403b and a 457b plan? What are the advantages or disadvantages of doing so?
This is information that would take a page to explain with any amount of detail, depends somewhat on your personal circumstances and is readily available by Googling.

Perhaps, for this part of your question, you should do some basic research and reading for an hour or so and then come back with more specific questions based on your gained understanding.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You're in luck. The 403b and 457b have separate contribution limits so you can save up to $18,000 each in tax advantaged accounts plus an additional $5,500 in IRA. The 457b also doesn't have a 10% early withdrawal penalty as long as you're separated from service so prioritize that over the 403b (after any matching on 403b of course).

If you plan on retiring at 45, I probably wouldn't bother with a Roth 403b unless you're already in the 15% bracket or something. You can reach FI more quickly by deferring taxes. You can easily do a Roth conversion upon retirement anyway.

The biggest thing that you can do in order to reach super early retirement is reducing your expenses. Not only will this allow you to save more, lower expenses means you need a smaller nest egg as well as lower taxes.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The 457 is a great early retirement tool as it's tax deferred and you can withdraw without penalties as soon as you leave your job. So I'd fund the 457 first and then the 403b. If you also have a 401a you might be able to save over $50k tax deferred.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you guys for your response. Someone recommended to me 403bwise.com and its a great resource so far. Im learning as much as I can before I start contributing. Thank you again.