Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Roth Contribution question
Old 10-24-2018, 03:11 AM   #1
gone traveling

Roth Contribution question

For the last 5 years before I retired, I had been happily taking advantage of the ability to put in $6500 to both DW and my Roth IRA accounts. This year, without thinking, I put in the same, then I realized (probably after reading something here), that with no W2 income I could not contribute. So I had Fidelity help me undo my contribution (DW will have about $12K of W2 income).

Next, two things happened. First, I remembered that I did receive a bonus check from my 2017 employment that will look like W2 income, in the amount of $3000. Next, we met with our Fidelity rep yesterday, and he said that I could have still done my $6500 because, since we file jointly, our total W2 income will exceed the $13K combined amount needed.

Does anyone else agree that this is the case? If so, I will put back in my $6500, but at a minimum, I will put in my $3000.

Thanks,

Bood
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 04:14 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoodaGazelle View Post
For the last 5 years before I retired, I had been happily taking advantage of the ability to put in $6500 to both DW and my Roth IRA accounts. This year, without thinking, I put in the same, then I realized (probably after reading something here), that with no W2 income I could not contribute. So I had Fidelity help me undo my contribution (DW will have about $12K of W2 income).

Next, two things happened. First, I remembered that I did receive a bonus check from my 2017 employment that will look like W2 income, in the amount of $3000. Next, we met with our Fidelity rep yesterday, and he said that I could have still done my $6500 because, since we file jointly, our total W2 income will exceed the $13K combined amount needed.

Does anyone else agree that this is the case? If so, I will put back in my $6500, but at a minimum, I will put in my $3000.

Thanks,

Bood
Yes ..... https://www.fool.com/retirement/2016...good-idea.aspx

https://www.rothira.com/one-job-two-roths
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Roth Conversion questions
Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
gone traveling

Roth Conversion questions

Thanks... just making sure!
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoodaGazelle View Post
.............................. So I had Fidelity help me undo my contribution (DW will have about $12K of W2 income).

.................................................. ....................

Thanks,

Bood
Yes, just make that you actually did undo the contribution (not just withdrew
$6500). You should have withdrawn $6500 + earnings for a valid undoing of this yrs contributions. If not done properly the 2nd contribution
could be an excess contribution.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I agree.... between your DW's $12k of earned income and your $3k, you can each make $6,500 contributions.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:30 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Could a mod fix the title? This is a Roth Contribution question, not conversion.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Could a mod fix the title? This is a Roth Contribution question, not conversion.
Thread title changed.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roth conversion