Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Ask vanguard if they have a way that you can move shares. Also check to see how to set the withholding before you do. For my case I set it to no withholding. Moving share that have cleared previous transactions should be quick
I did ask to move the shares.

The withholding may be the difference. I asked for 20% to be withheld.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
For ETFs, if you do the conversion during market hours, what price is used? Closing price, average price for the day, market price at the time of transaction, or something else? Is this governed by IRS rules or is up to each brokerage?
Market price. I look at what the price is just before doing the move and determine the number of shares. After doing the move I check the value in the new account. I forget when I did this last year if there was a transaction listed online of the move just after. I recall talking with my Schwab rep who told me the price at which the shares were transferred. So you don't have to wait to sort out exactly the size of the conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post

I can't speak for Vanguard as to the slow response. Check if they have an automated method. If you are using mutual funds, I would expect the transfer to happen at the end of the day as that is the time that the mutual funds will be priced. ETFs and stocks should be able to be move during market hours.

Schwab and Fido (based on other replies) has this all online. This years conversion will be done at Fido.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Quote:
For ETFs, if you do the conversion during market hours, what price is used? Closing price, average price for the day, market price at the time of transaction, or something else? Is this governed by IRS rules or is up to each brokerage?
Market price. I look at what the price is just before doing the move and determine the number of shares. After doing the move I check the value in the new account. I forget when I did this last year if there was a transaction listed online of the move just after. I recall talking with my Schwab rep who told me the price at which the shares were transferred. So you don't have to wait to sort out exactly the size of the conversion...
Interesting. I called Fidelity yesterday and posed this same question. They said that in-kind conversions (even for individual stocks and ETFs) are valued at the closing price on the day of conversion, not the market price at time of transaction. He also said this was a Fidelity policy and that other brokerages might handle it differently. He recommended doing the transaction right before market closing if you are targeting a specific dollar amount.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post

If you are younger than 59 1/2, won't you pay the 10% penalty on this?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Fido said I could convert into a nearly identical SP500 and it would be same day.
Were you converting less than $10,000? If so, this sounds like just a change in share class.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREchief View Post
Were you converting less than $10,000? If so, this sounds like just a change in share class.

I think that is correct. This would have been funds from 401k (class k co-mingled pool) to whatever retail class I would qualify for. An exchange between tIRA and Roth would be same class. I don't think the dollar value matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #27

Quote:

I think not but the withholding cannot be part of the amount converted.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Interesting. I called Fidelity yesterday and posed this same question. They said that in-kind conversions (even for individual stocks and ETFs) are valued at the closing price on the day of conversion, not the market price at time of transaction. He also said this was a Fidelity policy and that other brokerages might handle it differently. He recommended doing the transaction right before market closing if you are targeting a specific dollar amount.
That's my experience as well. Essentially the conversion happens after market close. Always the closing price.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I think that is correct. This would have been funds from 401k (class k co-mingled pool) to whatever retail class I would qualify for. An exchange between tIRA and Roth would be same class. I don't think the dollar value matters.
It can matter. As an example, if somebody has $50K in tIRA Fido S&P 500 premium class, and Roth converts $8K of it, the $8K in the Roth will drop to investor class shares until it grows to $10K.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I think not but the withholding cannot be part of the amount converted.

Example: 40 year old does a 100% Roth conversion of a $50K tIRA, but requests 20% withholding. In reality, only 80% of the withdrawal is a Roth conversion and the other 20% is a taxable withdrawal. Since they are under 59 1/2, the 20% is subject to the additional 10% penalty from the IRS.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, no penalty on Roth conversions since you never see the money and it is still restricted.

Not sure about withholding but it may apply on that... I never do any FWT on conversions but build it into my estimated payments for the year.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Example: 40 year old does a 100% Roth conversion of a $50K tIRA, but requests 20% withholding. In reality, only 80% of the withdrawal is a Roth conversion and the other 20% is a taxable withdrawal. Since they are under 59 1/2, the 20% is subject to the additional 10% penalty from the IRS.

As I mentioned you need to use other funds for withholding (or just settle up at tax time depending on your personal circumstances).

Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #33

Quote:
It can matter. As an example, if somebody has $50K in tIRA Fido S&P 500 premium class, and Roth converts $8K of it, the $8K in the Roth will drop to investor class shares until it grows to $10K.

You may be correct but as I understand this they aggregate accounts. The difference is not significant to me so maybe I just never paid much attention.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No, no penalty on Roth conversions since you never see the money and it is still restricted.

Not sure about withholding but it may apply on that... I never do any FWT on conversions but build it into my estimated payments for the year.
It is only the withholding that I was referring to. I thought that was clear from the context, but evidently not.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
You may be correct but as I understand this they aggregate accounts. The difference is not significant to me so maybe I just never paid much attention.
They do not aggregate amounts between accounts.