Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Roth conversion question - I'm confused
Old 01-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Roth conversion question - I'm confused

After running i-ORP, results say I should convert as much as $80k per year until all of our t-IRA is converted.

But when I run calculators to determine whether converting is in our best interest financially long-term every one of them say no.

I also read that when your future tax rate is significantly lower than current it doesn't make sense to convert. We're currently at about 33% and future is estimated to be 15% since we have 60% of our investments in after after tax investments.

Am I missing something in my analysis of whether we do conversions or not?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You state you future tax bracket is expected to be 15%, but I'd guess that's without the IRA's RMDs. Those RMDs could push you into a bracket higher than 15%.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, I can't think of a good reason to convert IRAs at a 33% tax rate when you'll be in the 15% bracket in retirement. Don't know why I-ORP is telling you otherwise... admittedly I've never used it before but that seems like common sense planning to me.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
After running i-ORP, results say I should convert as much as $80k per year until all of our t-IRA is converted.

But when I run calculators to determine whether converting is in our best interest financially long-term every one of them say no.

I also read that when your future tax rate is significantly lower than current it doesn't make sense to convert. We're currently at about 33% and future is estimated to be 15% since we have 60% of our investments in after after tax investments.

Am I missing something in my analysis of whether we do conversions or not?
Read this post by the developer of i-ORP:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1449169

What he's saying is that the tool ignores your tax situation and the tax law when it gives tax advice.

It assumes you have no other income from your taxable investments and looks only at the ROTH conversion amount to determine current tax liability.

There's little doubt in my mind that this tool has seriously damaged many of the people who have used it.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

iORP does the same for me. Maybe it knows something about future tax rates and required withdrawals that I don't know. In any case, I convert to the top of the 15% bracket as best as I can estimate it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I agree that paying 33% today is not smart when you have to pay 15% later...

But, paying 15% today might be smarter than paying 15% later... first, you have to pay on any gains if you do not convert... and you might have to pay taxes on SS.... that would make your rate higher than 15%....

Of course, if you make enough that SS is fully taxed anyhow then this does not apply...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I could never make any sense out of i-orp results. Makes no sense at all to convert if one is in the 33% bracket in most cases I can think of.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:20 AM   #8

I would only convert up to the 15% income level if possible. Roth conversions are ideal for those with nondeductible T-IRAs and no other IRAs who are in low tax brackets. For everyone else, it is a coin flip at best.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #9

It could be that I-orp is estimating the returns on the Roth conversions - the 'sooner' they are converted the 'longer' they have to compound, your future RMDs will be lower because more deferred accounts will now be in Roths and that money will then be tax free when drawn on later.

Not sure though....
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote