Join Early Retirement Today

Roth conversions and tax brackets
Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Roth conversions and tax brackets

Hello all; looking for some verification / advice if I am on the right track with my thinking.

I am currently working PT (making $50k/yr) and am considering full retirement next year as I will be 55 and gives me the option of penalty free w/d from 401k. DW is retiring this summer at 51, but hopes to get hired back as a contract employee for a year or three. She will receive pension of $40k pretax (COLA'd), if she gets the contract job it will pay between around $70k a year.

we also net out about $15k a year in rental income

Even if I quit I think we'll be in the 22% bracket as she will not be able to contribute to employer 403b plan once she is contract employee, so no way to defer any comp to get to 12% bracket (77,400 MAGI).

40k pension
+ 70k contract pay
+ 14k rental income
- 24k personal deduction
= $100k

I have 50k in 457b non-governmental that I'd like to get out of employer sooner rather than later as non-governmental 457 is considered an asset of the employer. Not that I think there is much risk of them going under, but would feel better getting it off their balance sheet and on to mine.

One of my goals is to do some Roth conversions using my 457b money as a starting point - the crux of my problem (not that it's a bad problem to have) is that I don't see much advantage to doing Roth conversions at 22% or even possibly 24% bracket. To make it most advantageous seems like I'd want to do it at the 12% bracket.

My game plan unless any of you that are smarter than I have some wisdom to share - is to hold off on drawing my 457b money and also hold off on any Roth conversions until DW stops the contract job and try to stay under the 77,400 MAGI / 12% bracket. In the interim save $ in after tax accounts to stock up for taxes on Roth conversions.

I'm just not super jazzed about converting at the 22% bracket, our spending forecast in full retirement is $50k, and could be a bit lower if the SHTF. Hope this all makes sense. Sorry for the brain dump - I tried to just include the pertinent facts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have provided only part of the equation. Impossible to answer without the full picture. What is your expected tax rate once you have to take MRDs on that tax deferred money? And is there going to be a gap before then where you won't have that contract income and will be able to convert most or all of the deferred at 12%?

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If she gets hired back as a self-employed contractor, then she is eligible to open a self-401K where she could make deductible contributions, and of course deduct self employment expenses.

She could also in the 401K have both a regular and a ROTH 401K.

https://investor.vanguard.com/what-w...ndividual-401k

Note: it takes about 30 days to open due to mailing back and forth and you have to open it within the actual year if you want to make deductible contributions after the year has passed for the previous year.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

running bum;
RMD's should be in the $60k per year neighborhood for our personal tax deferred accounts, given current age / balance and assuming 6% return. I do expect to inherit a sizable ($300k+/-) IRA that will require RMD's on the inherited IRA schedule - no way to tell for sure when that would happen. As I am 54 and DW only plans on contract work for 3 years max still leaves lots of time between now and RMD's. So tax rate at RMD time using today's tax table would still be 22%.

The inherited IRA is one of the reasons i'd like to shift $ to Roth so i don't have to take large RMD's on personal IRA.

edit : inherited IRA should be $300k - total inheritance estimate is $1MM, i mistakenly said IRA was the full $1MM
Old 04-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Can she leave her employer but not start taking pension benefits until later (IOW would her pension get larger later if she deferred starting it)? If so then between that and perhaps deferring some of her consulting income you might be able to Roth convert that $50k of 457b money over a couple years at 12%.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If she gets hired back as a self-employed contractor, then she is eligible to open a self-401K where she could make deductible contributions, and of course deduct self employment expenses.

She could also in the 401K have both a regular and a ROTH 401K.

https://investor.vanguard.com/what-w...ndividual-401k

Note: it takes about 30 days to open due to mailing back and forth and you have to open it within the actual year if you want to make deductible contributions after the year has passed for the previous year.
I opened and contribute to SEP-IRA when contracting. Opened one with VG. I would advise you look into that, and understand $55k is the contribution limit.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me if you are looking at deferring compensation than it makes no sense to also convert. I still don't have the whole picture, but it sounds like there will be quite a few years where you can convert at 12%. If you don't think you can get it all then, I'd probably convert up to the top of 22% now. There may be other reasons to limit income later, like ACA subsidies or the medicare income test as you get within a couple of years. I don't think that 22% rate is going to get any better, and it's scheduled to revert back to 25% unless the new tax brackets are extended.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Seems to me if you are looking at deferring compensation than it makes no sense to also convert. .....
I tend to agree since it nets out to nothing, but in this case the OP would be able to get out of that 457b plan that has credit risk associated with it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I tend to agree since it nets out to nothing, but in this case the OP would be able to get out of that 457b plan that has credit risk associated with it.
I was going to make some comment about whether one account is better, but I don't know much about 457b plans. Can they not be rolled over to a tIRA?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Seems to me if you are looking at deferring compensation than it makes no sense to also convert. I still don't have the whole picture, but it sounds like there will be quite a few years where you can convert at 12%. If you don't think you can get it all then, I'd probably convert up to the top of 22% now. There may be other reasons to limit income later, like ACA subsidies or the medicare income test as you get within a couple of years. I don't think that 22% rate is going to get any better, and it's scheduled to revert back to 25% unless the new tax brackets are extended.
While converting at lower tax tiers makes sense, waiting for many years for that may not, should there be an opportunity to convert during a market meltdown. 2009/10 was a great year, our situation today and into the future is better because of opportunistic conversions. Probably do a combination, some now, a lot more opportunistically and some more at a lower tax rate.
free2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for the responses thus far. I do know her pension formula is such that deferring it will not increase the payment

I will have to look into the self-employed Ira option that may have some great potential.

I also like the idea of watching for Market meltdown and buying then rather than worrying about tax implications, may be more advantageous.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Also missed the question on rolling 457 into traditional IRA. Yes it can be done.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2020 View Post
While converting at lower tax tiers makes sense, waiting for many years for that may not, should there be an opportunity to convert during a market meltdown.
A good point and one I hadn't considered.

Even after years of ROTH converting - and a number of years to go - there is always something new to consider.

THANKS

mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote