Join Early Retirement Today

Roth IRA Contribution Mishap
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Roth IRA Contribution Mishap

So my accountant aka dad called me tonight after he finished doing my taxes on the computer. My 2006 earned income was $3335. Not a problem except for the fact that I opened a Roth in Jan and contributed 4k to it. The account is at Vanguard.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? My first thought was to call Vanguard tomorrow and see if they can change $695 from a 2006 contribution to a 2007 contribution since the account was opened in 2007. Does this plan sound feasible? Any other suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Roth IRA Contribution Mishap
Old 02-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes you can fix it.... I don't know the rules, but I would think you would have to remove it from the account along with the income... but I am sure someone who REALLY knows will chime in..

Since it was a ROTH, no harm done as it was not deducted from your return anyhow...

Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You need to fix it before April 15. Vanguard has forms for you to fill out to undo the excess contribution, give them a call.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
You need to fix it before April 15. Vanguard has forms for you to fill out to undo the excess contribution, give them a call.
Yup. I just made the same mistake for 2007 contributions (got a little overenthused) and couldn't cajole Fidelity into deleting the electrons.

You'll get a 2006 1099-R reflecting the return of the excess contribution (no penalty) but the interest/gains (if any) that's returned to you as part of the process may boost your taxable income a bit.

Plenty of time to fix it if Vanguard doesn't fumble the customer service, but it's also not too early to think about a filing extension. And boy, are you going to owe your accountant big-time for this save!

My lesson from this is that I'm going to hold off spouse's future Roth contributions until the income has actually been banked. OTOH we're opening our kid's Roth IRA this week and will probably contribute ahead a bit (2006 and 2007) to make T. Rowe Price's minimums.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got off the phone with Vanguard. I kept the $695 in the account but it goes against my 2007 contribution. The earnings on the $695 are subject to a 10% penalty. So its gonna cost me a grand total of $2-3. I guess that is my "stupid tax."
Old 02-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt
Just got off the phone with Vanguard. I kept the $695 in the account but it goes against my 2007 contribution. The earnings on the $695 are subject to a 10% penalty. So its gonna cost me a grand total of $2-3. I guess that is my "stupid tax."
Well, I guess that's one of your options, but I thought the earnings on the $695 were part of the contribution reversal. I didn't realize there'd be a penalty for it...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, I guess that's one of your options, but I thought the earnings on the $695 were part of the contribution reversal. I didn't realize there'd be a penalty for it...
I guess it's not being "reversed", just deferred. Since the $695 went in before 2007
contributions are allowed (if I understand correctly), the earnings on them are in some
sense illegitimate - since they occurred on monies that went in too early. In the
extreme, imagine giving them $20K and saying, oh yes, sorry, that was for 2007, 2008,
2009, etc. Then you'd be way ahead because those $5K chunks are earning tax-free
income all that time.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Since the $695 went in before 2007
contributions are allowed
Actually thats the part that I didn't understand. The 4k was invested on 1/4/07 so it was after 2007 contributions were allowed, but the lady at Vanguard said I still had to pay a penalty due to it being labeled an 06 contribution. I'll just pay the $3 and not do it again.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt
I guess that is my "stupid tax."
LOL....most of us have paid that tax in one way or another.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM
LOL....most of us have paid that tax in one way or another.
I'm in a higher stupid tax bracket. I think my stupid marginal rate is about 55%.

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ira