Yes, there will be one of me 7 17.95%
Yes, there will be two of us 0 0%
Yes, there will be more than two of us (please post details in the thread) 0 0%
I'm not coming 18 46.15%
I like pancakes 14 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would like to attend but that date won't work for me. Have fun.

Grumpy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Matchbox at 7pm works for me.

Secondcor21 - can you recap the attendees for us?

Karen

Old 09-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What name will the reservation be in? If they don't take reservations, where should we meet. I'm the gray haired guy
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #24

Just got off the phone with Matchbox. The closest they had was an 8:00 reservation, so I went ahead and made a reservation for that time under the name Art Vandelay. They did say it probably wouldn't be terribly busy, so I'll arrive at about 7:00 and wait for a table in the bar area on the first floor. I'm 5'10", 190#, very very short dark hair, and wear glasses. I'll probably be wearing business casual just because that would seem to fit in with the restaurant and the area.

kaudrey, I don't know who all is coming exactly; the poll shows 7 people showing up. Based on this thread, I'm guessing you, me, donheff, Ultimate Cheapskate, Walt34, MyOwnTime, and maybe some other folks.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #25

I will make the pilgrimage down from the hills of WV. Can't stay late though, have to be at work 12 noon the next day.

Assuming I can follow the GPS's directions. Normally I avoid DC like the plague since the first thing I normally do upon crossing the DC line is get lost.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Hey guys, take some pictures, OK?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry I didn't reconfirm earlier, but I've been traveling.

If it's still OK, I'd like to attend, even though I checked the menu and my WAD (Wallet Anxiety Disorder) is already flaring up.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'll be there (though I'll regret not being able to use my $20 Zaytinya gift certificate!)
Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, after the latest drop in the market today, the balance in my 401K should just about cover a small pizza (one topping only).

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #30

Well, good intentions and all of that. With the market the way it is, things are going a bit crazy at my office. I have to prepare a presentation to our executive director that we have to give tomorrow at 8am. I'm going to try to make it, but I may get stuck at the office pretty late. If I don't make it, SORRY! I'm really bummed.

Karen
Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Actually, after the latest drop in the market today, the balance in my 401K should just about cover a small pizza (one topping only).

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
I may be late - I get off work at six, out the door here at 6:30, depending on the source (GPS, Google Maps) it'll take between 1.5 hours to almost two hours.

So barring a fireball on I-270 I'll be there.

Haven't been to the Big City in a while, and will get a reminder of why we left.

Sharing Jeff's WAD attack too.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #32

Sorry about the prices, guys!

This will be the one time a year when I eat out not at Carl's Jr.

Oh, I'll be in jeans and a green checkered shirt instead.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #33

I was almost there. I had mentioned to DW that I was going, but neglected to tell her that I planned to take the car, so she was out when I got home from work. "No problem" I thought, "I'll just take the truck".

That was a problem. I made it to the 700 block of H street but there was absolutely no prayer of finding any place to park it. There were a couple of parking garages, but the truck is too big to fit in one of those. Drove around a bit a couple of blocks in each direction, near gridlock as far as the eye could see.

It took 10 minutes to go two blocks. Why people choose to subject themselves to those living conditions is incomprehensible to me. Gave up, told the GPS "Home, James" and headed for the hills.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #34

Sorry, I won't be in D.C. that week. My lobbying efforts for early retirees aren't scheduled again until later in the month.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I was almost there. I had mentioned to DW that I was going, but neglected to tell her that I planned to take the car, so she was out when I got home from work. "No problem" I thought, "I'll just take the truck".

That was a problem. I made it to the 700 block of H street but there was absolutely no prayer of finding any place to park it. There were a couple of parking garages, but the truck is too big to fit in one of those. Drove around a bit a couple of blocks in each direction, near gridlock as far as the eye could see.

It took 10 minutes to go two blocks. Why people choose to subject themselves to those living conditions is incomprehensible to me. Gave up, told the GPS "Home, James" and headed for the hills.
Try taking the metro next time. It's much, much cheaper than finding parking in DC. We absolutely refuse to Drive in DC unless it's on Sat or Sun mornings.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I apologize to everybody. I somehow had this on my calendar for next Thursday. I was up in Pennsylvania on a bike trip yesterday and today. When I got back I saw KAudrey's message and realized I was off a week.

Once again - sorry. I really wanted to attend this event. I hope it went well.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #37

Walt34, we were wondering what happened to you!

It ended up being me, UltimateCheapskate, and MyOwnTime. We had a fun time and it was interesting to get to know everyone better. TAl, I have a picture to post but will probably do that when I get back home.

2Cor521
Old 09-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #38

Sorry I didn't make it! I was at work until almost 9pm, and by then I was exhausted. SecondCor - definitely let me know next time you are back in town!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #39

kaudrey,

Will do. If you're still working where you were working last year, I figured it would be a busy week for you given the events of last week.

2Cor521
Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hey guys, take some pictures, OK?
MyOwnTime, me, and Ultimate Cheapskate, respectively.

2Cor521