Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So a restaurant should require financial records to see if you qualify for a 10% discount?
Hah! A business can do whatever they want (within the law). But you really don't see the oddity in assuming that age equates to needing a discount?

I could make parallels that would have people screaming that I'm a bad person. But it's OK to "pick on" old people.

But it was just a humorous sign, go with it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

What’s really bad is when the young clerk looks at you and asks if you want the senior discount
Old 12-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Nope. It's a World vs Mdlerth thing. Just as I approach being old enough to score the senior discount, they yank it away. Our national pastime isn't baseball, it's goalpost-moving.

My whole life I've watched as no end of privileges and special considerations got ladled out to everybody except me. I've learned to expect it. Today they pull senior discounts; in a few more years they'll partition medicare. When I'm ready to engage SS they'll means test it out of my reach.

But I'm not one to complain... sigh.
+1
The primary reason I am going for SS at 62 in 2018 is just because of this issue and what that sign is prophesying.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
What’s really bad is when the young clerk looks at you and asks if you want the senior discount
What's worse is when they look at you and just give it to you without asking.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Nope. It's a World vs Mdlerth thing. Just as I approach being old enough to score the senior discount, they yank it away. Our national pastime isn't baseball, it's goalpost-moving.

My whole life I've watched as no end of privileges and special considerations got ladled out to everybody except me. I've learned to expect it. Today they pull senior discounts; in a few more years they'll partition medicare. When I'm ready to engage SS they'll means test it out of my reach.
+1

I paid full price when young and stupid, now as an old fool I want my discount... or I'll go to where it is....

Maybe restaurants know old folks have the TIME and KNOWLEDGE of how to cook, so offer a discount or I'll stay home and eat healthier.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And some don't. That's the point - why base a discount on age rather than need?

OK, for a private business it's really an attempt to drum up business (I wonder if it has been well tested?), so they can do whatever they want (hey - left-handed discount day!). But it bugs me when a government does it, I don't have a choice on paying taxes, I have a choice on whether I use a certain restaurant, etc.

-ERD50
I thought just today you said you were going to deduct an expense you knew wasn't deductible but counted on the government to not come after you to collect it worth about $2,500 to you. Seems a double standard.....
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
Administrator

You get the senior discount because you're probably "living on a fixed income", unlike all those working joes who can simply go tell the boss "I want to go out to dinner more often, so you'll need to increase my paycheck."
Old 12-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
What's worse is when they look at you and just give it to you without asking.
I'm still getting carded when I try to buy wine. Barely sweet talked the lady into selling me a few bottles when DW didn't have her license with her and they thought I was buying alcohol for youngsters (or we have a ridiculously strict alcohol licensing board here??).
Old 12-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
I thought just today you said you were going to deduct an expense you knew wasn't deductible but counted on the government to not come after you to collect it worth about $2,500 to you. Seems a double standard.....
I probably won't do it, but it's besides the point. Other than moving, I'm stuck with my taxing bodies. You do see the difference between that and my restaurant choices in the same area, don't you?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Just a dumb joke, based on the rather accurate assumption that the older you are, the earlier you want to eat supper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Our imprisoned former Governor (Blago, I need to specify which one, as this is in Illinois)
Only State in the Union where the state penitentiary has a 'Governor's' wing.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I thought of that, too. It's OK to pick on old people because they won't fight back.

Quote:

I could make parallels that would have people screaming that I'm a bad person. But it's OK to "pick on" old people.

But it was just a humorous sign, go with it.

-ERD50
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm still getting carded when I try to buy wine. Barely sweet talked the lady into selling me a few bottles when DW didn't have her license with her and they thought I was buying alcohol for youngsters (or we have a ridiculously strict alcohol licensing board here??).
When someone asks for ID when buying booze I tell the person thanks for the complement since I am 67.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I don't like asking for a senior discount. Financially, I don't need it. I have an AAA membership and most of the time can get the same deals.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #35

Quote:
And some don't. That's the point - why base a discount on age rather than need?

OK, for a private business it's really an attempt to drum up business (I wonder if it has been well tested?), so they can do whatever they want (hey - left-handed discount day!). But it bugs me when a government does it, I don't have a choice on paying taxes, I have a choice on whether I use a certain restaurant, etc.

-ERD50
It's fair as we'll all get a chance for the senior discounts some day.Wouldn't bother me if they did away with it, though. I'm not old enough yet to get many.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
Especially if you're not old enough yet
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So a restaurant should require financial records to see if you qualify for a 10% discount?
How about using zip-code? Like age, it's easy to verify using state issued ID's.

Chuck, you live it the FIRE'd zip code - no discount for you.

Joe you live on the wrong side of the tracks - 10% off for you, and a free 12 oz beer.

Problem solved.

Now, about those student discounts that go mainly to young people under 30....

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #38

I guess it is a generational thing. Hey, if I hadn't spent so much money over all those years raising and educating those millennial kids, I wouldn't need the discount, I might even have had enough to own that damn restaurant!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #39

Quote:

But I'm not one to complain... sigh.
Man you got that right

Altho the senior discounts are for the benefit of the business not the senior, I have seen the same trend since I was 13
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Just a dumb joke, based on the rather accurate assumption that the older you are, the earlier you want to eat supper.
I've seen one of these, it was a joke. The whole place had tacky signs all over the place. Not all places have sr. discounts.

We have a place here, half the year they hand out loyalty cards, buy 10 entrees and the next is free. When tourists show up, no more loyalty. My loyalty went out the window with the card.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote