Rude awakening at the early buffet

And some don't. That's the point - why base a discount on age rather than need?

OK, for a private business it's really an attempt to drum up business (I wonder if it has been well tested?), so they can do whatever they want (hey - left-handed discount day!). But it bugs me when a government does it, I don't have a choice on paying taxes, I have a choice on whether I use a certain restaurant, etc.

-ERD50

I thought just today you said you were going to deduct an expense you knew wasn't deductible but counted on the government to not come after you to collect it worth about $2,500 to you. Seems a double standard.....

You get the senior discount because you're probably "living on a fixed income", unlike all those working joes who can simply go tell the boss "I want to go out to dinner more often, so you'll need to increase my paycheck."

What's worse is when they look at you and just give it to you without asking.

I'm still getting carded when I try to buy wine. Barely sweet talked the lady into selling me a few bottles when DW didn't have her license with her and they thought I was buying alcohol for youngsters (or we have a ridiculously strict alcohol licensing board here??).

I thought just today you said you were going to deduct an expense you knew wasn't deductible but counted on the government to not come after you to collect it worth about $2,500 to you. Seems a double standard.....

I probably won't do it, but it's besides the point. Other than moving, I'm stuck with my taxing bodies. You do see the difference between that and my restaurant choices in the same area, don't you?

-ERD50

Just a dumb joke, based on the rather accurate assumption that the older you are, the earlier you want to eat supper.

no-senior-citizens-discounts-you-have-had-twice-as-long-29684366.png

I thought of that, too. It's OK to pick on old people because they won't fight back.

I could make parallels that would have people screaming that I'm a bad person. But it's OK to "pick on" old people.

But it was just a humorous sign, go with it. :)

-ERD50

I'm still getting carded when I try to buy wine. Barely sweet talked the lady into selling me a few bottles when DW didn't have her license with her and they thought I was buying alcohol for youngsters (or we have a ridiculously strict alcohol licensing board here??).

When someone asks for ID when buying booze I tell the person thanks for the complement since I am 67.

I don't like asking for a senior discount. Financially, I don't need it. I have an AAA membership and most of the time can get the same deals.

And some don't. That's the point - why base a discount on age rather than need?

OK, for a private business it's really an attempt to drum up business (I wonder if it has been well tested?), so they can do whatever they want (hey - left-handed discount day!). But it bugs me when a government does it, I don't have a choice on paying taxes, I have a choice on whether I use a certain restaurant, etc.

-ERD50

It's fair as we'll all get a chance for the senior discounts some day.Wouldn't bother me if they did away with it, though. I'm not old enough yet to get many.

So a restaurant should require financial records to see if you qualify for a 10% discount?

How about using zip-code? Like age, it's easy to verify using state issued ID's.

Chuck, you live it the FIRE'd zip code - no discount for you.

Joe you live on the wrong side of the tracks - 10% off for you, and a free 12 oz beer.

Problem solved.

Now, about those student discounts that go mainly to young people under 30....

Last edited:
I guess it is a generational thing. Hey, if I hadn't spent so much money over all those years raising and educating those millennial kids, I wouldn't need the discount, I might even have had enough to own that damn restaurant! :LOL:

Nope. It's a World vs Mdlerth thing. Just as I approach being old enough to score the senior discount, they yank it away. Our national pastime isn't baseball, it's goalpost-moving.

My whole life I've watched as no end of privileges and special considerations got ladled out to everybody except me. I've learned to expect it. Today they pull senior discounts; in a few more years they'll partition medicare. When I'm ready to engage SS they'll means test it out of my reach.

But I'm not one to complain... sigh.

Man you got that right

Altho the senior discounts are for the benefit of the business not the senior, I have seen the same trend since I was 13

Just a dumb joke, based on the rather accurate assumption that the older you are, the earlier you want to eat supper.
I've seen one of these, it was a joke. The whole place had tacky signs all over the place. Not all places have sr. discounts.

We have a place here, half the year they hand out loyalty cards, buy 10 entrees and the next is free. When tourists show up, no more loyalty. My loyalty went out the window with the card.

So a restaurant should require financial records to see if you qualify for a 10% discount?

Thank You Terry. The 10% thing is really there to draw seinor business anyway. It's not gonna break the bank. Go somewhere else.

+1

Sadly, I must agree. There seems to be a number of people and organizations who thrive on instigating conflict.

There also seems to be a number of people who thrive on becoming outraged at everything.

There also seems to be a number of people who thrive on becoming outraged at everything.

My mother used to tell me that if I went looking for things to be offended by, I would always find them.

What's worse is when they look at you and just give it to you without asking.

What is worse is when they automatically give it to me, still a few months short of qualifying, and do not give it to DW, who has to show ID to prove that she qualifies.

On the other hand, having a younger looking wife... why am I complaining?? :LOL:

Senior discounts play no part in my eating, lodging or transportation plans.

I thought it was funny, though it would have been useful if the OP had provided some context. Did you take the picture, Onward, or was it something you found on the internet? Anyway, no need to overthink this. Am guessing it was probably in a restaurant that had a bunch of other equally irreverent jokey signs.

Context was missing. I get it now. Sadly, there's a lot of crap going on out there so anything is believable these days.

The 5 Man Electrical Band had it right.

Last edited:
WE actually get better deals on the happy hours in restaurants that we can now take advantage of because we are not at work.

I agree with those who think the pic in the OP was meant tongue in cheek.

I also agree that I could have used discounts more when I was in my forties with 2 kids and college tuition in the future.

I always ask for my 10% discount these days and then normally put it in the tip jar (at Dunkin Donuts) or otherwise add it to the tip. That lets me get the discount but lets someone who may need it more get the benefit.

I also agree that I could have used discounts more when I was in my forties with 2 kids and college tuition in the future.

I recall when we were younger with kids afoot, a number of restaurants would have discounts such as kids under a certain age eating free, or a kids menu at a lower price, or a "family buffet" price regardless of the number of kids. DW was good at finding those for us.

Back
Top Bottom