Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A mix of pension and/or annuity plus investment portfolio is a very good idea, and I don't recall seeing it recommended in any of the literature on investing.
Milevsky's "Are You a Stock or a Bond?". Otar also recommends it for certain marginally-capitalized portfolios that are skating too close to the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Agreed. I don't think people of modest means living on CPI-linked income streams feel like they've come close to "keeping pace" with the cost of the essentials they buy. Sure, the cost of big screen TVs and cruise vacations are falling (which help lead to a "flat" CPI), but if most of what you are buying is food, energy, health care and education, the CPI is a joke.
I dunno. Every year I need fewer calories to do my daily routine, so I'm buying less food. Wal-Mart and Costco have put vicious price pressure on even the commissaries. Some years our property's fruit & veggie production is way too much, other years we're buying fruit from the stores.

As energy prices rise, people spend more money on insulation & conservation. Our photovoltaic array paid for itself late last year and we don't have to worry about "energy inflation". If you looked at our energy bills you'd think the price of oil had collapsed.

Health care (for the military) has been flat the last 15 years. This is an area where inflation would make it a lot easier to keep a doctor interested in treating Tricare patients.

Education... perhaps, but how long do people stay in school?

The biggest changes to our CPI have been interest rates and electronics, both of which have collapsed far more than my COLA pension has risen. Other big influences on our CPI have been ER (no more commuting expenses, healthier lifestyle) and becoming empty nesters (no more commuting expenses, healthier lifestyle!). In other words, for the last nine years of ER our expenses overall have been a big drop. Who cares what the CPI is?

I think it's really really hard to maintain an unchanging lifestyle for (1) long enough to be able to calculate a personal CPI and (2) long enough for it to become an issue when compared to pensions & budgets.

I agree that there are issues with healthcare expenses. It just hasn't been our personal history.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Milevsky's "Are You a Stock or a Bond?". Otar also recommends it for certain marginally-capitalized portfolios that are skating too close to the edge.

I dunno. Every year I need fewer calories to do my daily routine, so I'm buying less food. Wal-Mart and Costco have put vicious price pressure on even the commissaries. Some years our property's fruit & veggie production is way too much, other years we're buying fruit from the stores.

As energy prices rise, people spend more money on insulation & conservation. Our photovoltaic array paid for itself late last year and we don't have to worry about "energy inflation". If you looked at our energy bills you'd think the price of oil had collapsed.

Health care (for the military) has been flat the last 15 years. This is an area where inflation would make it a lot easier to keep a doctor interested in treating Tricare patients.

Education... perhaps, but how long do people stay in school?

The biggest changes to our CPI have been interest rates and electronics, both of which have collapsed far more than my COLA pension has risen. Other big influences on our CPI have been ER (no more commuting expenses, healthier lifestyle) and becoming empty nesters (no more commuting expenses, healthier lifestyle!). In other words, for the last nine years of ER our expenses overall have been a big drop. Who cares what the CPI is?

I think it's really really hard to maintain an unchanging lifestyle for (1) long enough to be able to calculate a personal CPI and (2) long enough for it to become an issue when compared to pensions & budgets.

I agree that there are issues with healthcare expenses. It just hasn't been our personal history.
While what military personnel have paid has remained the same for the past 15 years, cost increases have been incurred and merely rolled into the US budget deficit. In actuality military healthcare is rising for the past 10 years at a 10 percent annual rate far in excess of the CPI. It just that the recipients have not had to share in the additional costs.

Military's health care costs booming - USATODAY.com

Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
While what military personnel have paid has remained the same for the past 15 years, cost increases have been incurred and merely rolled into the US budget deficit. In actuality military healthcare is rising for the past 10 years at a 10 percent annual rate far in excess of the CPI. It just that the recipients have not had to share in the additional costs.
I suppose we could just ask the military personnel to chip in a reasonable copay.

"Well, Private, it looks like that IED took off both legs at the knee. The field care and initial surgery comes to $34,000. Each C-leg prosthetic will be about $45,000 for your particular case, or you can go with the basic limb for $2,500. Your twenty percent copay and deductible comes to $24,400 for the C-legs, or $7,400 for basics."

Yeah, that'll work. That's four and a half months of base bay for basic prosthetics, or a year and a half of pay for something that might let him walk again with sticks.

The additional cost will, as always, act as a free market incentive to discourage over-use of medical treatment and facilities, encouraging our soldiers to take better care of themselves and avoid getting blowed up.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #84
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I suppose we could just ask the military personnel to chip in a reasonable copay.
Or we could ask the rest of the free world who benefit from our boys being on the front lines to chip in a bit. It used to be you get spoils from war, now all we get is bills.

Maybe next war the EU can send their boys in while we sit at home.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

C'mon, guys, don't get trolled off topic. Plenty of other threads where that's already being discussed.

How 'bout that market today?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM View Post
Or we could ask the rest of the free world who benefit from our boys being on the front lines to chip in a bit. It used to be you get spoils from war, now all we get is bills.

Maybe next war the EU can send their boys in while we sit at home.

Ah, yes, the "benefits" of our imperial military adventures: dead children, shattered economies, destroyed infrastructure,Agent Orange, spent uranium shells, never-ending conflict, sectarian wars, etc. I cannot imagine why the recipients of our largesse aren't more forthcoming with monetary support.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #87

YouTube - ‪Country Joe McDonald - "Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die"‬‏
Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Ah, yes, the "benefits" of our imperial military adventures: dead children, shattered economies, destroyed infrastructure,Agent Orange, spent uranium shells, never-ending conflict, sectarian wars, etc. I cannot imagine why the recipients of our largesse aren't more forthcoming with monetary support.
I wonder if the 6 million plus that died in German concentration camps would have felt a bit different if our largesse had stopped Hitler a few years sooner.

Sometimes you actually have to step up and do something to stop bad people doing horrible things to those around them.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM View Post
Sometimes you actually have to step up and do something to stop bad people doing horrible things to those around them.
Which is exactly what every jihadist, guerilla, freedom fighter, etc. has running through their minds as they resist 'Merkin troops.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
C'mon, guys, don't get trolled off topic. Plenty of other threads where that's already being discussed.

Market today? Yup, it was up pretty dang good. But hey, don't bother folks while they're gettin' all negative and stuff. We remember walkin' a mile to school in the snow..and we liked it..we loved it!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #91

Quote:
I dunno. Every year I need fewer calories to do my daily routine, so I'm buying less food. Wal-Mart and Costco have put vicious price pressure on even the commissaries.
But where is this "price pressure" coming from? Largely from increased unemployment (as more stuff is made in cheap-labor markets) and thus putting downward pressure on wages. It feels like a race to the bottom and I don't know the market in the long term (or publicly-traded businesses in general who are more obsessed on this quarter than the long term) will be the better for it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #92

Quote:

Yes, it has become somewhat meandering. And I'm not talking just about the market.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I smell bacon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porky.jpg (8.3 KB, 109 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread