Join Early Retirement Today

Run on the Bank??
Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Run on the Bank??

The following happened in a relatively short period and it was a little surprising to me, although not unexpected.

I live in soCal and am in a RE related field. A residential developer that I knew was in "distress" filed for BK last week. A local, mid-sized "community" bank held some of the paper and was impacted and also was near to filing (or had already fiked) their poor first quarter #'s. They stop trading the banks stock for a somewhat extended period last week & then announce more losses & the need for a bridge loan from another bank. Stock is tanking, closed at less than $2/sh on Friday.

I mention this to my DW whose family has a fair amount of CD's at the comm bank. I suggest she (who is pretty much the family matriarch), ask if the other family members understand the way the FDIC ins works for bank deposits.

Anyway, family checks and they have some incremental deposits above the FDIC limits. The local branch of the comm bank is right across the street from a main BofA branch. DW goes with fam members to help with the transfer and on the way to BofA branch, sees the local comm bank branch with a very full parking lot which is unusual. As she goes into the BofA she notices it is real busy (which is not that unusual). Turns out alot of folks were going from the comm bank branch right to the BofA with their transfers.

This was a bit of an eye opener to me. I hope it does not indicate what the future will bring.
shtg42012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow. Sounds a bit like the scene last week at my local Costco. The media reported that the price of rice is rising quickly and there was a run on the big bags of Costco's rice the next day! I asked one lady if she and her family ate a lot of rice and she replied "not really", but she saw others buying several bags and she figured she might as well too!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

DW mentioned the rice rationing at COSTCO and similar situation at Sams.

Regarding the local bank from my OP, their stock was down again today and FIL said several elderly folks at the sen facility where he lives (who still remember the really bad times) moved their funds. He said the sentiment was better to be safe than sorry.
shtg42012 is offline   Reply With Quote