Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The guy really knows how to stand out in a crowd...
Yeah, he's the guy with money left in his pocket.

The camping version of the millionaire next door...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Significant RV Expenses in 2010
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #202
Full time employment: Posting here.

Significant RV Expenses in 2010

Last year turned out to be an expensive RV year for us. We ended up replacing the AC unit and the fridge. Even as an ardent do-it-yourselfer I just did not have the time or the equipment to replace these units. Instead we shelled out the $$ to have somebody else do the work. That more than doubles cost. If I had taken time to do it I would have been faced with disposing of the old units.

By the way... I checked into repairing the units but it seems the cost to repair is nearly as much as a new unit.

So the RV $$ saga continues. We love camping/traveling with our trailer but it has not been inexpensive.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're one month shy of a full year on the road, but comparing our expenses the last twelve months with the previous twelve, we spent $600 less on the road than we did staying at home working. However, we replaced our car in the last twelve months; something I hope we won't have to do every year. Another caveat is that we're still paying for all of the upkeep on our condo while traveling, only we're getting rental income now that we didn't have before. Backing out the new car and the condo expenses, we'd have spent 30% less.

Our bottom line is that 52 weeks of "vacation" that took us to nearly as many destinations cost us no more than staying at home would have. Inexpensive? It is to us.