Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
When we head overseas we're thinking about RVing in Europe too. As I understand it, most of the major cities have nearby campgrounds serviced by public transportation. And what better way to see the countryside than with a motor home?

So maybe our North America excursion will end up being a trial run for doing something similar in Europe or even South America. I'm not sure I would try it in Asia or Africa, but who knows.

So much to do, so little time.
Actually, I have way more experience RVing in Europe than I do in the US. RVing is probably the single best way to explore Europe in my opinion.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dreamer, didn't mean to under estimate your camping background.
Actually I'm happy to know you have a good idea what you are getting into.
What kind of price range, model is your neighbor selling?
I will need to do several repairs on the one I have. Might be interested if price/condition is very right.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RV Expenses.....

How about hats?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #44

Things forgotten.
Its always something.
I think the can opener might be number one forgotten item.
Steve

PS. Its tough opening those cans with a pocket knife but I've done it.
I'm pretty good at opening beer bottles with my imagination too !!!
Trailer and Tow Vehicle - Not Cheap
Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #45

Trailer and Tow Vehicle - Not Cheap

My wife and I went the route of a trailer and tow vehicle. We bought both used and have been able to use the rig 30 - 40 nights per year for the last eight years.

It's certainly not cheap but we would not have it any other way.

Our cost to purchase, maintain, repair, store and upgrad is just over $69k during that time. This includes every little thing we buy for the rig - tea kettle, broom, area rugs, flashlights, chemicals, etc. I suspect our cost will level off now but who knows. We've done some substantial upgrades like removing carpet and replacing with hardwood floors. We've recently had to replace the air conditioner. For us, cost of ownership has been high. We hire somebody to do almost all the work as I don't typically have time and tools to do the specialized maintenance.

The above value does not include fuel, campground fees, insurance, or vacation type expenses such as entry fees, food, etc. If we had it to do over again we probably would follow the same path.

Airstream Forums - Airstream Owners Community
Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

well i am on my way to buying one for fulltiming and the best i can tell the cost of living in one fulltime is about the same as living in a sticks and bricks home... FWIW
Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
well i am on my way to buying one for fulltiming and the best i can tell the cost of living in one fulltime is about the same as living in a sticks and bricks home... FWIW
I agree, but I don't think Firedreamer is considering full timing.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
My parents had a pop-up camper when I was a kid and one thing I do know is that they would be too spartan for my wife's taste. She is not high maintenance, but she does enjoy some basic comforts.
Pop-ups have come a long way in the last decade or so.

We decided to get our butts off the ground while base camping on paddling trips and got ourselves an Aliner. We still tent it when canoe trips involve multi-day distances. But back at base camp, having the little Aliner with all the basics (comfortable beds, furnace, air conditioning, workable kitchen, etc.) is a blessing for us aging outdoors types. Yet, it's small, light and extremely easy to tow and to put up. And there is NO canvas.

But, it is camping, not RVing, as most describe RV'ing here. I'm planning on expenses being close to negligible and pull it with an existing vehicle which also serves as a daily driver at home. Depreciation will be $1.2k/yr if I keep it 10 yrs and throw it away.

http://www.aliner.com/design/
Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #49

The Aliners look neat.
I've never seen them before.
Do you have much trouble getting the panels lined up and in place during set up? Seems to me I heard people complain about the trailer having to be almost perfectly leveled on some hard sided pop ups. This was not the Aliner brand though.
Just happens to be a dealer up your way firedreamer. Of course they appear to have lots of other campers to look at.

2008 ALiner Aliner Classic HIGHWALL Folding Pop-Up Campers at Bankston Motor Homes Huntsville Alabama Bankston Motor Homes
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I'm pretty good at opening beer bottles with my imagination too !!!
It's best to use yer imagination instead of yer teef.....
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
The Aliners look neat.
I've never seen them before.
Do you have much trouble getting the panels lined up and in place during set up? Seems to me I heard people complain about the trailer having to be almost perfectly leveled on some hard sided pop ups. This was not the Aliner brand though.
Just happens to be a dealer up your way firedreamer. Of course they appear to have lots of other campers to look at.

2008 ALiner Aliner Classic HIGHWALL Folding Pop-Up Campers at Bankston Motor Homes Huntsville Alabama Bankston Motor Homes
I added a link to the factory site in my post above.

Set up is a breeze. They claim 30 seconds, but I think that's optimistic unless you're other job is on the pit crew of an Indy car team. I'd say 3 - 4 mins if we're staying connected to the TV (just stopping for a meal or to catch some sleep). And maybe 10 minutes if we're unhooking from the TV and leveling the Aliner independently.

Aligning the walls is pretty much automatic. The end walls (the ones that are at an angle) are on torsion bars and rise into place with only a little urging once unlatched. You push up the side walls to vertical to attach to the end walls and, so far, everything always goes exactly where it needs to be. Everything is very solid, no wobbling or jiggling involved.

While we intended the Aliner to be used for base camping while paddling and maybe a few short sight seeing excursions, we discovered the owners club and many folks that use them for longer trips. So we're going to try a 2 week trip to New Hampshire in October with some other club members to see how that goes.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's best to use yer imagination instead of yer teef.....
Especially now that this poor retiree doesn't have dental insurance.

Being from the south east I have seen it done that way but not with this hill billy's teef.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

FD....this may be too small for y'all, but I had to post the link since it said Frugal......

If you like the idea of the frugal adventure RV lifestyle that I describe on this site and you’re looking for an RV that best fits the bill to take you to the places I’m suggesting, then I recommend you look for a small motorhome.

A Small Motorhome Is Your Best Choice
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
FD....this may be too small for y'all, but I had to post the link since it said Frugal......

If you like the idea of the frugal adventure RV lifestyle that I describe on this site and you’re looking for an RV that best fits the bill to take you to the places I’m suggesting, then I recommend you look for a small motorhome.

A Small Motorhome Is Your Best Choice
Actually bbbamI, the RV I have been looking at is pretty much an updated version of the one pictured in your link. Not much larger, if at all.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

That is just adorable! I wonder if you could rent one and see if it will fit well in your plans....
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That is just adorable! I wonder if you could rent one and see if it will fit well in your plans....
I would definitely try to rent one if possible. But I am shocked at RV rental rates!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #57

Well Firedreamer, as you can see we've been keeping this thread running.
I think we have placed you in everything from a sleeping bag to a Greyhound bus.
Steve
Old 07-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually bbbamI, the RV I have been looking at is pretty much an updated version of the one pictured in your link. Not much larger, if at all.
Perhaps you missed the photos of our Roadtrek a couple weeks ago.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post956158
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Actually, I have way more experience RVing in Europe than I do in the US. RVing is probably the single best way to explore Europe in my opinion.
FD, can you elaborate? Cost wise, I would think that the high gas prices would put a serious damper into RVing in Europe. I suppose the distances are relatively shorter than in the States.

I'm assuming that European RVers stay on the outskirts of cities? Wouldn't it be difficult to park the RV a good distance away from sights/city centers? Some of the interesting small towns have such small streets that I had trouble getting through with even a sub-compact!

I can understand the benefit to not eating out every single meal, especially when you have kids. However, we just came back from a 3.5 week vacation and really enjoyed trying out different restaurants. In my case I think I would probably eat out the vast majority of the time, especially in culinary destinations such as many European countries.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
FD, can you elaborate? Cost wise, I would think that the high gas prices would put a serious damper into RVing in Europe. I suppose the distances are relatively shorter than in the States.

I'm assuming that European RVers stay on the outskirts of cities? Wouldn't it be difficult to park the RV a good distance away from sights/city centers? Some of the interesting small towns have such small streets that I had trouble getting through with even a sub-compact!

I can understand the benefit to not eating out every single meal, especially when you have kids. However, we just came back from a 3.5 week vacation and really enjoyed trying out different restaurants. In my case I think I would probably eat out the vast majority of the time, especially in culinary destinations such as many European countries.

This was a typical summer vacation for my family when I was a kid:

1) Pick a location, usually a campground in a small village with a few amenities such as a supermarket or weekly open-air market, post office, bank, bar/restaurant. This location should be central to the region's main attractions.

2) Once the trailer is set at the campground (travel trailers are more popular in Europe than motor homes), use bicycles or the tow vehicle to explore the area. Usually, we would use the trailer as our base and organize day trips to visit nearby cities or attractions.

3) Once the area has been thoroughly explored, just move the trailer to a new location, rinse and repeat.

It's a fairly cheap way to travel in Europe (I would say it's the middle class' way of vacationing in Europe). Note: Europeans do not eat out nearly as much as Americans do. We would only eat out once or twice a week to enjoy some local specialty.