Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I just completed my maiden voyage in my new-to-me Sprinter van RV. I tallied up my expenses for the trip which included 3461 miles of travel over 4 weeks, 2 of which were spent at relatives so that wasn't really traveling. Including gas, food, pet food/litter, etc, I only spent $900 on the trip and that includes some restaurant tabs I picked up for the relatives. I spent another $1000 on one time equipping expenses (things like dishes, silverware, electrical cords & water hoses, hooks, velcro, etc.). So while that does not include the cost of the van, the actual traveling was very cheap.
Quote:
I just tallied up all my costs during the trip without regard to what I would be buying at home anyway. So yes, it was cheap.
You do realize that

$900 x (52 weeks/year)/(2 weeks) = $900 x 26 = $23,400/year

That's not very expensive! Sounds like you could do a lot of traveling in your RV if you want to, without worrying about the cost. I'm sure there is maintenance and other costs, but still.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Isn't it great when it all comes together like that! A lot can go wrong in a "maiden voyage".

Wow - my Jeep Liberty doesn't even get your gas mileage. grrrrrrrr!

Audrey

Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Grats on your awesome rv, and your successful shake down cruise.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like you had a great maiden voyage in your new to you RV. Hope you have many more and enjoy your new RV on many more trips.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

It isn't all that cramped for cats. Much more so for people . They were more nervous about a new place and moving than the van. They quickly looked at the van as their safe haven and had no interest in leaving it until the end of the trip. They liked the wells formed by the step and closed door - until I opened the door and they had a sudden exposure. I had each of them spend some time in the van parked with me before the trip so they would know it some before we took off. Both wore harnesses and leashes the whole trip.

These two enemies have drawn blood so to my surprise, the most aggressive thing the evil male did was park himself in front of the female and stare at her. I stopped that in short order and he didn't do it again. On the way back, the male was up on the counter (hard to stop that in such a small space) and the female wanted to look out the window. She jumped up there right next to him, looked at him and hissed then calmly sat at the window and looked out (as if to say to him: " I still hate you!"). He did nothing.

Both of these cats have a history of hating to be confined in crates. I started with the female in a crate and the male loose. I intended on trading crate time between the 2 but she seemed pretty calm so I let her loose too. The male spent most of the driving time on my lap or a step well and sometimes on the dash. The female liked a different step well and the back benches/bed. The 2nd day was when we had the litter-box troubles. After that, the female rode in the crate the rest of the trip. I took her out for walks on the leash. They both spent some time looking out the windows then slept.
Thanks Tesaje. I am so glad to hear that cats can adapt pretty easily to the RV lifestyle. There is hope for mine, I think, as all they do all day is look out the windows and sleep anyways...

Your Sprinter van is beautiful too!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

I see a LOT of cats traveling in RVs. The few that come outside tolerate harness-style leashes. I think the "cosiness" of an RV does appeal to many cats. It's amazing how many can handle a vehicle in motion, but I've also heard of sailboats with cats, so apparently enough cats make good travelers. I suspect many of the cats "hide" somewhere safe when the vehicle is moving, but that otherwise it is not a stressful experience.

Many cats seem to LOVE perching in an RV window, watching the goings-on in a campground safely behind glass. It's so cool, and you see this fairly often.

Our cat couldn't tolerate being confined in a carrier (we could hold her) or any type of vehicle motion, so taking her with us on the road was never an option. But with everything I have seen RVing, I've tend to believe that she was an exception in that respect.

Audrey
Old 08-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Buffalino: Squeezing A Lot Into A Tiny RV

cornelius comanns: bufalino

While it appears possible to do laundry and cook, there is no information regarding washroom and toilet facilities. I, also, didn't see pricing anywhere.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #148
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RVing in real style

Volkner Mobil Bus
Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
RVing in real style

Volkner Mobil Bus
Style costs too much money. Also, it is too big for ease of boondocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Buffalino: Squeezing A Lot Into A Tiny RV

cornelius comanns: bufalino

While it appears possible to do laundry and cook, there is no information regarding washroom and toilet facilities. I, also, didn't see pricing anywhere.
That 3-wheeler looks like a version that is sold in some countries, by the same Italian company I believe, to haul merchandise or passengers. Some even had a smoky 2-stroke engine.

The way the stock market is going, I wonder how long until we sell the house and live in our class C. Perhaps I can get that 3-wheeler for my son. He can park innocuously on college campus and use the bathroom facilities there.

And if one needs a toad to go with that 3-wheeler, I have a suggestion that I have posted earlier: Car To Solve US Energy Problems
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Here's the Mini Mate, advertised as a motorcycle-towable trailer.

And for bicyclists with strong legs, there's this.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

'That 3-wheeler looks like a version that is sold in some countries, by the same Italian company I believe, to haul merchandise or passengers.'

My daughter said there were truckcycles all over Italy.

RV wise, I'm trying this
Viking RV - Folding Campers - Epic Campers&Series=Epic

We used to tent camp some, but my wifes MS makes that impractical. So I bought a used Viking tent trailer late last year with AC to keep her cooler and inside toilet so she won't have to walk at night. Plus my existing 4 cylinder S10 can tow it.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Thanks Tesaje. I am so glad to hear that cats can adapt pretty easily to the RV lifestyle. There is hope for mine, I think, as all they do all day is look out the windows and sleep anyways...

Your Sprinter van is beautiful too!
We were pretty worried about how our cats (now just cat) would adapt to a nomadic lifestyle. But she's doing far better than we ever expected. She doesn't like moving day, but seems to settle in very quickly once we stop.

Of course all creatures are different, so it's impossible to tell how any one specific critter will react. But cats do seem to travel better than I thought they would.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

If cats can live in semi-trucks (and yes, I've seen it!) then I'm sure they can manage RVs.

For my taste, I may try one of those school bus conversions some year. They give you a heavy duty rig, so you can get in and out of most places that normal RVs might not be able to manage. Some of them are very pretty, too - you can't even tell they started life as old yellow kid-haulers.

I could definitely see myself and my wife cruising around the country for a while after I retire. We could rack some motorbikes on the back for local transportation, put our burdens possessions in storage, and go on tour for a few years.

Josh
Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's the Mini Mate, advertised as a motorcycle-towable trailer.

I've seen these used in state parks. Looked like they worked great. Pretty cool!

Audrey
Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
For my taste, I may try one of those school bus conversions some year. They give you a heavy duty rig, so you can get in and out of most places that normal RVs might not be able to manage. Some of them are very pretty, too - you can't even tell they started life as old yellow kid-haulers.
I'm not convinced that a regular size school bus is any smaller than our 37 foot DP. They don't look that maneuverable to me.

Audrey
Old 08-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm not convinced that a regular size school bus is any smaller than our 37 foot DP. They don't look that maneuverable to me.
Well, some people get the short busses.

It's not so much the size as it is the construction. They are designed to go down rambling dirt roads, plow through snowbanks, and operate in rural areas. They have suspension systems on them that are very rugged. So, no, they may not be able to maneuver that much better than an average RV when it comes to things like squeezing into parking spaces, but they're more durable and better powered.

Besides, used busses are cheap, and I know I'd get a lot of satisfaction out of the project of building it. Once you get out the seats, you basically have a great big chunk of floor space that you can use to build whatever layout you want and install any kind of equipment that you feel you'll be likely to desire. If I want a full size bathtub instead of just a shower, or a compartment to store solar power generation equipment, or anything else I fancy, it'll be there from day one instead of requiring difficult remodeling.

Josh
Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Once you get out the seats, you basically have a great big chunk of floor space that you can use to build whatever layout you want and install any kind of equipment that you feel you'll be likely to desire. If I want a full size bathtub instead of just a shower, or a compartment to store solar power generation equipment, or anything else I fancy, it'll be there from day one instead of requiring difficult remodeling.
You may want to look at the floor plans for Class B RVs, Class C's w/o Slides, and even boats and private jets to see efficient use of "all that floor space" before you start construction. You may find that, however much space you have, it will be insufficient to the "want" department -- a full size bathtub takes up an incredible amount of area.

And I agree with Audrey, even the shortest School Buses seem quite awkward to me.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #158
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...but they're more durable and better powered.
Josh, I don't want to dissuade you from what might be a great DIY project, but I believe your above statement to be inaccurate.

A school bus is essentially a big box of seats sitting atop a conventional truck chassis. Don't take my word for it - here's a Wikipedia quote:

Quote:
Type C ("conventional") school buses have a GVWR of over 10,000 pounds, typically between 23,000 and 29,500 pounds. These are constructed from a bus body mounted to a cowled medium-duty truck chassis usually supplied from another manufacturer.
The construction of a chassis (engine, transmission, axles, frame, steering gear, etc.) for a truck, a school bus or a Class A is essentially the same - nothing significantly different about the engines, transmissions or any other chassis component. The only real difference is what sits atop the chassis.

One additional point regarding reliability - most used RV's have relatively low mileage as they spend a significant portion of their lives parked. Not so with a used bus. Those things are usually worked to death before being sold and have some serious wear and tear.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Josh, I don't want to dissuade you from what might be a great DIY project, but I believe your above statement to be inaccurate.

A school bus is essentially a big box of seats sitting atop a conventional truck chassis. Don't take my word for it - here's a Wikipedia quote:

The construction of a chassis (engine, transmission, axles, frame, steering gear, etc.) for a truck, a school bus or a Class A is essentially the same - nothing significantly different about the engines, transmissions or any other chassis component. The only real difference is what sits atop the chassis.

One additional point regarding reliability - most used RV's have relatively low mileage as they spend a significant portion of their lives parked. Not so with a used bus. Those things are usually worked to death before being sold and have some serious wear and tear.
Yeah, but think how many cheap laughs you would get from pulling up in front of the in-laws with the "short bus" and taking them off for a ride with the neighbors watching...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

That said, anyone who has spent time in Central America has seen the thousands of old US school buses that form the basis of their transportation system. The old girls still have a lot of life in them and are infinitely repairable. In general, old RVs don't wear out, they rot out. Buses tend to be overbuilt to protect their passengers and are actually crash worthy as opposed to a conventional RV which disintegrates in an accident. I'm sure a bus would get worse fuel economy though, due to the added weight of the robust body.