Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm not convinced that a regular size school bus is any smaller than our 37 foot DP. They don't look that maneuverable to me.

Audrey
Around here most school buses are driven by houswives as part time. The seem preatty good at getting around the town square and narrow town roads.

Here is a sample. Not mine. In Maryland craigslist. Sure can't beat advertised price.

By the way if any part of this violates forum rules mods are welcome to delete all or any part of it. I did delete the posted phone number and reply to link.

RV Converted Full-Size Bus - $2200 (Cumberland, MD)

Date: 2010-08-08, 6:05PM EDT

1991 International Thomas Bus. 7.3 Diesel Engine, Allison Automatic Transmission. Current tags. Wired for electric. Everything inside goes with the bus: electric heaters, couch, TV, microwave, etc. New stereo/ CD player and speakers. Outside motion flood lights, both rear and side of bus. A rear deck with steps that you may back into so it is at door height is included (not pictured). Perfect for hunting, NASCAR, birthday parties, camping, and just about anything. Many new parts. There is a crack in one passenger side window, but it is still fully intact. Serious inquiries only please. Must sell. Call: Ray

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

$2,200? Looks like the scrap value would be at least that much.

Josh, you see this? Why build your own when someone else has already done it for you...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #163

I love that the bus has a real couch and armchair, and all the windows make it very open, but there'd be a lot of shades to pull down at night.

If I was going to do the RV thing it would definitely be a fuel efficient
Class B.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
If I was going to do the RV thing it would definitely be a fuel efficient
Class B.
You could put the $30,000 you saved toward gas. At 5 MPG that is 55,000 miles
Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
$2,200? Looks like the scrap value would be at least that much.

Josh, you see this? Why build your own when someone else has already done it for you...
Josh really REALLY wants to make one himself....
Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

The ad said 7.3 diesel engine. No explicit mention that it actually runs.

Until recently, I had not bought used cars for 30 years. When shopping for a used car to use as toad, saw an ad that said "icy cold AC". My ass!

We took it for a test drive around one block and had to turn back immediately, because it was 110 outside, and perhaps 130 inside that car that had been parked in the sun. Perhaps all it neeed was Freon, but such blatant false description.

So much BS out there, and such a waste of time I don't see anyone but a retiree (or a semi-retiree ) can have time to shop for used cars like that.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The ad said 7.3 diesel engine. No explicit mention that it actually runs.

Until recently, I had not bought used cars for 30 years. When shopping for a used car to use as toad, saw an ad that said "icy cold AC". My ass!

We took it for a test drive around one block and had to turn back immediately, because it was 110 outside, and perhaps 130 inside that car that had been parked in the sun. Perhaps all it neeed was Freon, but such blatant false description.

So much BS out there, and such a waste of time I don't see anyone but a retiree (or a semi-retiree ) can have time to shop for used cars like that.
Yea, I be the couch is lumpy, too.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
After seeing the prices for good used Class B motor homes (30k +)...
I don't know when the Sprinter-based RVs were introduced to the market, but guess that it was within the last few years. Hence, the used ones on the market are still relatively new, and command fairly high prices. In addition, the good fuel mileage of the diesel engine appears to help them hold the values.

Just now, looking at rvtraderonline.com, I saw that the lowest asking price is $39K for a 2005 model with 57K miles. Next, there are only 6 within the price range of $40K to $50K. The next ranges are as follows.

43 in the range $50K-75K
76 - from $75K to $100K
61 - from $100K to $125K

They are not cheap!

For class Bs with a gas engine, there are many models older than 2005, hence at lower price ranges.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Josh really REALLY wants to make one himself....
Yeah... but $2,200 would still not be a bad price. I'd probably be willing to pay that for one that ran decently and just had the seats removed! That's the biggest pain (among several) of these conversion jobs. With that already out of the way, I could get right to re-designing the interior, and it doesn't look like this one had any interior partitions built or much in the way of utilities installed, so I wouldn't really have to break anything down to get started.

If only I wasn't in Germany right now...

Later!

Josh
Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #170

Joshua,
These really crazy (and I know crazy, believe me) folks we know that live way out in the country where you drive past six no trespassing signs that get more ominous the closer you get to the house, have various somewhat illegal firearms, and are possibly militia types, you get the idea--showed us their modified school bus when we went out to the compound for a birthday party.

This bus was fitted out for Nascar races and had 5 bunks, a fridge and small cookstove, a stand up shower, and a toilet inside. It had a rack on the back for water and generators, and on top was a full stem-to-stern deck and race-viewing platform upon which were mounted stripper poles and privacy screens for the dancers they apparently sometimes brought with them to the races to help defray costs. Charming. I think there was also a small plastic kids pool.

Despite such stellar features, I thought the retrofit was poorly done and would have rather put the money into an older RV that needed work, like our 1976 Airstream Argosy. But I've seen some fabulous band bus conversions at the music festivals.

I do think that when you return you will be able to find some dirt cheap partially completed conversions in which people just lose interest in the project.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Joshua,
It had a rack on the back for water and generators, and on top was a full stem-to-stern deck and race-viewing platform upon which were mounted stripper poles and privacy screens for the dancers they apparently sometimes brought with them to the races to help defray costs. Charming.

This reminds me of my BIL's RV. He converted the back room to a dancing pole with couches around it. Yeah, he's a character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ric's RV 004.jpg (187.1 KB, 4 views)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I went to look at a used pickup several years ago, which was described as having a "straight" body. Straight from about two gallons of body filler...

And you could see the ground through the hole in the floorboard where a shifter had been installed.

I passed on that gem...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
.........And you could see the ground through the hole in the floorboard where a shifter had been installed..................
It is nitpickers like you that give used car buyers a bad name.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #174

simple girl, that is awesome! LOL! And here I thought having one in my kitchen was racy.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And here I thought having one in my kitchen was racy.
Nah. Racy would be on the deck... on the 19th floor.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #176

I went to a RV show yesterday and decided against a Roadtrek and PleasureWay. I liked them, but realized there wouldn't be any room for backpacking equipment, blow up boats, etc. What I'm now thinking is getting a used Sportsmobile and taking out the stove, sink and maybe the back bed. Instead we'd have room for things in storeage bins and could have a blow up mattress if we want to do stealth camping. We'd carry a camp stove that we'd use outside of the van and maybe a cooler with block ice. I can not fix things if they break so I would like to start with something simple.

This looks fun, simple and easy to drive - and, without the kitchen there would be room to bring things:

Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #177
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I can not fix things if they break so I would like to start with something simple.
If this is the case then I think your idea of a gutted Sportsmobile - or maybe even less expensive, a basic cargo van (no need to remove anything) - is the way to go. The more "stuff" in your RV, the more maintenance, tinkering and repairing needed. If you have to hire someone else to do it, it can get very expensive in terms of both money and time/frustration.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Just another thought: if memory serves, Sportsmobile will take your vehicle and do whatever mods you want at a price. So if all you want is a pop top and one or two other odds and ends, you could just get them to do this stuff to your van (new or used).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Just another thought: if memory serves, Sportsmobile will take your vehicle and do whatever mods you want at a price. So if all you want is a pop top and one or two other odds and ends, you could just get them to do this stuff to your van (new or used).
Yes, Sportsmobile will do parts or a full buildout of a van. They have several minimal floorplans with cargo areas to look at too. Insulation and the roof fan add a lot to the comfort of the vehicle even if it is a minimal cargo/camp vehicle. Look at cheaprv for more minimal ideas.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I went to a RV show yesterday and decided against a Roadtrek and PleasureWay. I liked them, but realized there wouldn't be any room for backpacking equipment, blow up boats, etc. What I'm now thinking is getting a used Sportsmobile and taking out the stove, sink and maybe the back bed. Instead we'd have room for things in storeage bins and could have a blow up mattress if we want to do stealth camping. We'd carry a camp stove that we'd use outside of the van and maybe a cooler with block ice. I can not fix things if they break so I would like to start with something simple.

This looks fun, simple and easy to drive - and, without the kitchen there would be room to bring things:

So you really wouldn't consider a small trailer? Then pull it with a good-sized SUV that can carry tons of gear including boats on top. That's how we handled our camping plus gear needs. Then you can leave the trailer at the campground while you run around in your SUV with your other gear.

Audrey