RV Expenses

Significant RV Expenses in 2010

Last year turned out to be an expensive RV year for us. We ended up replacing the AC unit and the fridge. Even as an ardent do-it-yourselfer I just did not have the time or the equipment to replace these units. Instead we shelled out the $$ to have somebody else do the work. That more than doubles cost. If I had taken time to do it I would have been faced with disposing of the old units.

By the way... I checked into repairing the units but it seems the cost to repair is nearly as much as a new unit.

So the RV $$ saga continues. We love camping/traveling with our trailer but it has not been inexpensive.

We're one month shy of a full year on the road, but comparing our expenses the last twelve months with the previous twelve, we spent $600 less on the road than we did staying at home working. However, we replaced our car in the last twelve months; something I hope we won't have to do every year. Another caveat is that we're still paying for all of the upkeep on our condo while traveling, only we're getting rental income now that we didn't have before. Backing out the new car and the condo expenses, we'd have spent 30% less.

Our bottom line is that 52 weeks of "vacation" that took us to nearly as many destinations cost us no more than staying at home would have. Inexpensive? It is to us.

Back
Top Bottom