Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Of course, we usually call a park the day we plan to arrive, or perhaps the day before, just to make sure there is availability. It's been very, very rare that we haven't gotten what we wanted even without reservations.
I agree it doesn't happen often, but we've been shut out of two places in the last three months. And that's with trying to book a week or so in advance. It's probably the case that the North East is just more crowded, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to make plans the day of. Maybe when I get out west I can loosen up a little.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back in the day (late 60's/early 70's), we would go to parks without reservations and think nothing of it. Our favorite State parks in Florida got so popular we never try that anymore though. We've gotten caught in the area after a 300/400 mile trip (very tired) and couldn't find any place to stay. I guess enough years go by and everybody and their brother finds out about the havens. Of course I wasn't retired when it caught us by surprise. It might not bother me so much now cause I could take my time and move around without all the pressure and time restraints that I had while working. Anyway, when you have your heart set on staying at your favorite places it can be a bummer to be turned a way.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

I spent a bit of time doing some research about the kind of expenses we could expect with a Class B RV:

Insurance: $450-600 a year via progressive. I was pleasantly surprised there.
Storage (I don't think the RV would make it up our driveway, so it would have to be stored off-site): About $50 a month for an uncovered parking space, $75 a month for a carport and $250 a month for an indoor garage unit. DW favors the indoor garage for security reasons, but I find that a bit steep. Which storage solution makes more sense?

After spending some time in our sister RV forum, the fact that so many people call their RV "the money pit", be it affectionately, scares me a little bit. Between storage, insurance and maintenance, annual carrying costs could easily top $5K. It would only make sense if we used the RV extensively.

After further consideration, we seem to be converging towards the Roadtrek RS Adventurous as our RV of choice:

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #84

Firedreamer,
You already know my point of view.
You need it covered at the very least.
If you pump your hard earned money in one, protect it from the elements.
I learned this lesson the hard way.
Steve

PS. Not sure how bad/steep your drive is but most van types will do anything a regular van will do. If its low hanging limbs/trees you can always have them trimmed or removed (I guess).
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Firedreamer,
You already know my point of view.
You need it covered at the very least.
If you pump your hard earned money in one, protect it from the elements.
I learned this lesson the hard way.
Steve

PS. Not sure how bad/steep your drive is but most van types will do anything a regular van will do. If its low hanging limbs/trees you can always have them trimmed or removed (I guess).
Some people use a RV cover when parking their RV outside. Is that any good to protect the RV from the elements? Personally, I favor the carport storage option, but I do see the advantages of an indoor garage.

Our driveway is very steep and some pick-up trucks and vans can't make it up the hill (especially when loaded). At any rates, if we were to park the RV in our driveway, it would not be covered unless we had a carport put in, and I am not sure the city would let us.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #86

I think a carport would help a lot.
Most have enough cover hanging down the sides to work pretty good.
Anything will beat direct sun all day.
Steve

PS. I see a lot of campers at storage facilities and also different camp grounds. If you could find a place a short distance from a lake or river area you might get a better rate. Anyway, just get on the phone or look around, beat the bushes (hill billy for look and ask everybody you come across). You'll find a good deal somewhere.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Firedreamer, that's a nice looking van! How did you narrow it down to that particular model?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And refrigeration? and water (including bathroom facilities)?
We use a 5 day cooler with block ice.

Campground water supply when staying in an established campground. Five gallon jug and bottled water when out in the boonies.

Campground bathroom facilities with a porta-potti for those wee hour wee-wee issues When out in the boonies...well, where does a bear go

We did enough primitive camping in our younger days to find creative ways to make everyday tasks doable in any location.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Firedreamer, that's a nice looking van! How did you narrow it down to that particular model?
We looked at several models and we liked this one best for several reasons:
* The walls are pretty much straight up which opens up the cabin making it feel more spacious than other models.
* There are windows all around the cabin, which makes it brighter and, again, makes it feel more spacious.
* it comes with a permanent bathroom. You can shower in the bathroom with the doors closed while keeping the aisle open and clean.
* spacious enough for 2 people and 2 cats yet still small enough to be maneuverable.
* well appointed kitchen with microwave convection oven.
* warm wood tones, granite counter tops, etc... makes it feel homey.
* diesel engine with what I consider a very good gas mileage.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
When out in the boonies...well, where does a bear go?
Oh, yeah! I forgot... one of the most interesting books I have ever read.

Book Synopsis: How to **** in the Woods
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
We looked at several models and we liked this one best for several reasons:
* The walls are pretty much straight up which opens up the cabin making it feel more spacious than other models.
* There are windows all around the cabin, which makes it brighter and, again, makes it feel more spacious.
* it comes with a permanent bathroom. You can shower in the bathroom with the doors closed while keeping the aisle open and clean.
* spacious enough for 2 people and 2 cats yet still small enough to be maneuverable.
* well appointed kitchen with microwave convection oven.
* warm wood tones, granite counter tops, etc... makes it feel homey.
* diesel engine with what I consider a very good gas mileage.
What is the brand name/maker of the Chassis and engine?
Just curious,
Steve
Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
What is the brand name/maker of the Chassis and engine?
Just curious,
Steve
Mercedes-Benz. The Adventurous is based on Mercedes' Sprinter van, a widely popular van in Europe.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

When I was considering an RV based on the Sprinter chassis, I was attracted to the larger ones, such as the Winnebago View. It would give us a bit more room. I remember that some of these might be taxing the chassis, and their Cargo Carrying Capacity was somewhat limited. But then, it appears the Sprinter chassis has been updated, so the more recent models might not have that limitation. For example, the newer diesel engine is 3.0L and larger than the previous 2.6L.

PS. There are several similar models made by others, such as the Itasca Navion, the GulfStream Vista Cruiser, and the Forest River Solera.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I agree it doesn't happen often, but we've been shut out of two places in the last three months. And that's with trying to book a week or so in advance. It's probably the case that the North East is just more crowded, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to make plans the day of. Maybe when I get out west I can loosen up a little.
It does depend on the state and the season. If you want to enjoy a state park in Oregon in July, you better make a reservation - and you have to reserve a specific site. But we managed - just saw what was available and let that drive our trip, easily found places to stay in between. I checked often - every couple of days, and occasionally a several day spot would open up in a large enough site (another of our constraints).

Also - there are often late cancellations, we've managed to get some good spots that way too.

Audrey
Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Some people like to live on the wild side, some use belt and suspenders....
Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #96

Audrey, off topic but...

Since you are now a resident of Mission, does that make you Missionaries?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The way I figure it is you would need to stay in it four to five months a year to break even vs. a $50 motel room.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
The way I figure it is you would need to stay in it four to five months a year to break even vs. a $50 motel room.
This is an exercise in futility in my opinion.

If all you are seeking is a less expensive way to travel, an RV ain't it. Unless you full-time or go really low budget on your house on wheels, an RV will always be more expensive than the traditional travel route.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is an exercise in futility in my opinion.

If all you are seeking is a less expensive way to travel, an RV ain't it. Unless you full-time or go really low budget on your house on wheels, an RV will always be more expensive than the traditional travel route.
Yeah, this comes up about every 4 months or so and I agree. RVing is not cheap any more than taking a vacation is cheap. You get what you pay for, and everyone has to decide if it's worth it to them.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I have traveled quite a bit and we generally try to avoid the "pricey" hotels, so I am not really particular. But I can't think if too many $50 motel rooms I would stay in. Just saying.....
KM is offline   Reply With Quote