Join Early Retirement Today
RV lot investing
Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
RV lot investing

Does anyone have experience investing in RV spots/pads inside campgrounds in Florida, south Texas, or other warm winter spots? I like the fact of low or no insurance necessary, and a large supply of pensioned snowbirds coming down south to rent a space every winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

John467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Somebody has divided up a trailer park / campground into "condos" available for sale?

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
LOL.... really...

I know they sell boat slips as my now deceased BIL had bought 3 at a dockominium.... yep, like a condo for boats....

Sis just sold her last one... yes, she has a gain, but it would have been double or triple if she had invested in the market.... so, a $10K gain might look good, but she could have had $70K more....

I would not invest in them unless you are looking for some tax write offs... that is the only thing that was good about the investment.... but still, not good enough IMO....

OHHHH, and she was not looking for seasonal renters.... she had it rented 12 month out of the year... for many years...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
I think RV camp investment is a neat idea. I'd go camping and buy a fifth wheel, except nearly every campsite I see is hideously crowded. I feel like I'd have more privacy if I camped in my neighbor's backyard.

I hope in twenty years, deluxe, acre+, campsites will be a more typical thing. But it's going to take a bunch of investment for this. Please, please do this. I figure you have at least a 10% of making profit.
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I'd go camping and buy a fifth wheel, except nearly every campsite I see is hideously crowded. I feel like I'd have more privacy if I camped in my neighbor's backyard.
That's exactly why we seek out state parks, Corps of Engineer parks and similar camping venues. Focus on those and you'll have far more privacy and elbow room, plus they are usually less expensive than commercial parks.
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
IMHO they are great for those who prefer a$$hole to bellybutton living. They remind me of Ft Jackson basic training barracks, 1967, 40 men to a room in double decker bunks.

There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote