Join Early Retirement Today

Sad Story
Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sad Story

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. Wanted to share this story because Iíve seen a pattern along this theme from posts on this site and others. Went into work today to find out one of my coworkers retired 67-year-old father in-law unexpectedly died and he all of a sudden had a new truck. Death is always a traumatic family experience but especially during the holidays when stress levels is already high. I found out about his new truck (a 2005 Ford XLT) that was owned by his father in-law. Turns out he did not have any life insurance and the spouse cannot afford the payments. So he is ending up with this very nice truck along with the ďniceĒ payments until he can sell. I sympathized with the situation but didnít make any additional comments. Seems he left his wife financially dependent on family when a used truck without payments and some life insurance could have at least lessened the burden.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sad Story
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Indeed a sad situation however, both he and his wife brought this upon themselves. A retired husband who can not control his "need" for a new truck, and his wife going along with it, seems to be the formula for disaster.

I'm sorry for your co worker's loss in this holiday season.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't understand why the truck became the co-workers problem. If the father was the creditor on the truck and he died, they can't force the son-in-law to make the payments...just let them repo the stupid thing.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

soupcxan,

I assume the car loan was made in both names. But good question. I'll ask when it seems more appropriate. He has taken over this loan and possesion of the truck as a favor to his mother in law. He was not lible or forced to do it. Hopefully he can do better selling it for his mother in-law then letting it get reposesseded but Fords depriceate quickly and the loan may be for more then the car is worth.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I don't understand why the truck became the co-workers problem. If the father was the creditor on the truck and he died, they can't force the son-in-law to make the payments...just let them repo the stupid thing.
More than likely that it was in both their names... and if it was repoed and sold for a loss they might still come to collect the difference....

The SIL is just being a 'good' family memeber for his wife who does not want to stress about her mother having to pay for that truck..
Old 12-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy
Hopefully he can do better selling it for his mother in-law then letting it get reposesseded but Fords depriceate quickly and the loan may be for more then the car is worth.
I'd say some Ford depreciate quickly. Mine hasn't moved more than $2,000 in the last 3 years.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #7

Seems odd this happened so unexpectedly and already the truck payments are an issue? Any chance the coworker wanted the truck anyway? I would imagine the family has much larger issues than the payments on the truck !
Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 AM   #8

Stupid question, why is a 67 year old man taking out a loan to buy a new truck ? That said, why didn't he get the death pay-off feature in the loan ? Something seems amiss here.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:47 AM   #9

I've been seeing a great number of these types of stories on this and other financial/retirement boards, and finally feel compelled to give my two cents.

I'm not so cold-hearted that I can't see helping out an "innocent" family member truly in financial need for a short time until s/he can continue on unaided. That said, I haven't worked and saved for ER just to bail out someone who chose not to do so. In the vast majority of cases, all I'd be doing is enabling the bad behavior that caused the problem in the first place, and my assistance would prevent an important lesson from being imparted. Likewise, ignorance of saving for retirement, or relying on someone else to do it for you, are not viable excuses. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that there is no excuse for not taking charge of your own financial affairs. This applies particularly to married couples where one spouse often leaves financial planning and investing solely up to the other. Doing so is simply willful ignorance, which is contrary to being "innocent" of any wrongdoing.

If you don't take charge of your financial future, you can only blame yourself when you don't have one.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

All good comments. Something was defiantly amiss with the in laws and the SIL had no obligation other then ďits family.Ē I posted this as a warning even if it is preaching to the choir. I have many friends and unfortunately some family members, which are completely oblivious to financial issues. Some What if itís your mother, father, daughter, son that need significant financial assistance. What do you do? I sure many of us can think of real life examples. How can you plan for unknown events?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy
How can you plan for unknown events?
In the case of your co-worker's MIL, it's called an emergency fund of 6-12 months of expenses. Likewise, you can plan for most contingencies -- known or unknown. Even health issues can be anticipated and planned for, although most people don't want to even consider the possibility that they ever could be in worse health than they are today. That would mean retirement won't be as rosy as financial companies, senior living magazines, etc... make it out to be.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If that situation occurred around here, tomorrow the co-worker would be driving the truck down H-1 with a big tinted sign on the cab window reading, in foot-high flowing script,

In loving memory of [insert decedent's name here]

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote