Join Early Retirement Today

Safe deposit boxes
Old 07-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Safe deposit boxes

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/b...box-theft.html
"There are an estimated 25 million safe deposit boxes in America, and they operate in a legal gray zone within the highly regulated banking industry. There are no federal laws governing the boxes; no rules require banks to compensate customers if their property is stolen or destroyed."

Apparently banks are on the hook for very little if contents disappear to bank's negligence. Im surprised by this. Did y'all know this? Disclaimer: I don't have one
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How is the bank supposed to compensate someone for the unknown contents of the box? Are they going by the honor system? Because if they are I had $25 million in my box.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #3

I love having a safe deposit box. Any important papers I can put there and not worry where they are. Many years ago I sold my car, and only then realized I could not find the title. It took a lot of hoops to jump through before I got a replacement title. That was when I got a safe deposit box. I don't keep valuables there, just papers.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
How is the bank supposed to compensate someone for the unknown contents of the box? Are they going by the honor system? Because if they are I had $25 million in my box.
In at least some states they are required to inventory the contents of the box when opening it.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Many years ago I sold my car, and only then realized I could not find the title. It took a lot of hoops to jump through before I got a replacement title.
Two years ago we bought a replacement car for DW and gave the dealer her old car as part of the contract. That night we searched the house but couldn't find the title. Went to local DMV office first thing the next morning, paid the fee, was in and out in 10 minutes with new title. Easy peasy.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps some people do not want the bank knowing what is in the safety deposit box nor might they not want an inventory on record with a third party.

The bank is hardly going to agree to be liable for an undetermined amount on a $30. annual safety deposit box rental. Nor should they.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #7

we’ve had a safety deposit box for nearly 50-yrs in every bank we’ve ever done biz with...8-10 in all. contents ranged from papers to items of sentimental value only to items of actual value. we’ve never lost anything or had an issue.

a few months back when i asked about the availability of a larger box i was told that many banks are abandoning the 2-key vault SD boxes and going to 1-key SD boxes in their lobbies. no privacy. anyone experiencing this?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Perhaps some people do not want the bank knowing what is in the safety deposit box
I always have to laugh when I need to get in my safe deposit box at the bank. They take my royal key and the key of the kingdom to open the forbidden door and remove the sacred box. The servants place the box on a pedestal in the royal viewing alcove and retreat from the vault or turn their back to me as I open my secret treasure...

HA! It's just a bunch of old photo negatives, our passports, and my backup hard drives. There's absolutely nothing secret or valuable in there, it's just a safe secondary location other than our house. I try to tell that to the tellers, but they have their little protocol they do anyway, even though I say it will only take me two seconds to pull out the old backup drive and put in the new one. Oh well, it makes me feel important, if only for a minute.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
House safe instead of bank?
Old 07-20-2019, 05:03 AM   #9

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
House safe instead of bank?

My parents have always had a safety deposit box - DS and I are on the signature / identify card and know where the key is located in the house.

OTH - DW and I have used a fire resistant box for important papers and have insured some jewelry.

Currently contemplating on installing a small house safe.

Any recommendations?
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Currently contemplating on installing a small house safe.

Any recommendations?
My only recommendation is that you make sure said safe is securely attached to the structure, where ever you put it.

We had a local police talk a few years back, and the cop endorsed the idea of a safe as long as it was attached. This is because most robberies around here are smash, grab, and run. But, he said a lot of the small safes get carried away, safe and all. So, attach it. Remember, "small" may mean a 100lbs for a strong, young crook. Basically, a safe up to the size of a dorm fridge is easily carried off by a smash and grabber.

One of the simpler ways this is done for cheaper safes is to drill from the inside and secure to wall or floor with bolts of some sort. I used 3" lag bolts for this purpose, hitting structural timbers. There are other more secure methods. For our papers, good enough.

I recently moved it and found that the wet putty fire retardant that I drilled through dried out. So, I may not have much of a fire safe anymore.

Short story:
  • Securely attach your safe
  • Investigate best methods to do this
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't understand the "No Federal Laws" portion of the original posting. Isn't it against the law to store cash in a Safety Deposit Box? If so, that must be a Federal Reg.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I don't understand the "No Federal Laws" portion of the original posting. Isn't it against the law to store cash in a Safety Deposit Box? If so, that must be a Federal Reg.
No federal law or regulation against having cash or storing it in a safe deposit box at a bank.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:57 AM   #13

from the google machine:

"it suggests that you are trying to hide money from the IRS, and that can lead to serious legal problems down the line. While it's true that keeping cash in a safe deposit box is not illegal, many banks have adopted policies that forbid the practice outright."
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Against the law to put cash in a safe deposit box?! That's crazy.

I guess that would make me a criminal.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
from the google machine:

"it suggests that you are trying to hide money from the IRS, and that can lead to serious legal problems down the line. While it's true that keeping cash in a safe deposit box is not illegal, many banks have adopted policies that forbid the practice outright."
Reminds me of Washington Mutual. I opened an account with them only to find they did not provide any type of notary services and wouldn’t take a 3rd party check that had been signed over to me. They did have safe deposits boxes, but the agreement said no cash, no coins, limited collectibles. I asked the branch manager why they even bothered to offer the boxes with that restriction, and her response was she really didn’t want that business, it brought nothing to the bank but a bunch of old people.

As I looked for another bank they went under and were absorbed by Wachovia.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post

OTH - DW and I have used a fire resistant box for important papers
+1

Ours is fire proof and file folder size.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We use ours frequently. We keep a backup disk of our photos in the box. We put any valuable jewelry in the box prior to a trip. And of course the usual papers. Some coins that have value and a few bank notes.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'd be tempted to get a safe to use as a decoy. The bad guys find it, think they hit the jack pot, and run.

It would have a surprise waiting for them. A stink bomb, dye spray?

Maybe include this video on a flash drive marked "PASSWORDS", or maybe use a corrupted flash drive that had nothing of value on it, and let them try to recover the data?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We had one for a number of years, but nothing of monetary value really stored there (old pictures/documents/etc). Now, we have a F-5 rated tornado shelter installed and keep a couple of fire boxes in it. Is it 100% safe in there? Probably not...but it's about as safe as you can get in your own home, plus if the apocalypse heads our way, the stuff that is most important to us is already in the shelter.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #20

We have a fire-proof box that locks and is bolted to the floor using a concrete anchor bolt in the slab. It's in the back corner of a spare closet concealed by clothes and other stuff. We keep a few valuables in it but mostly just passports, car titles, and other important papers. There's also a flashdrive containing wills and related documents along with some financial/tax files. All other PC files are backed up locally and in the cloud for offsite backup.