Join Early Retirement Today

Safe Investment
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Safe Investment

I have a certain amount invested in retirement accounts as well as a separate stock market account. I decided to have a reserve of maybe $5000 to keep in a money market savings account. Where should I put the rest of the money so that I'll get the highest return, in a safe investment? I don't want to put any more into stocks than what I already have invested.

Thanks!
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buy some magic beans.

Seriously, if you do not want more equities and you want low risk, you choices and returns are more limited. CDs would be safest, but returns are pretty low. Bonds could be OK if you stay short and high quality, but your returns might actually be lower than CDs. Then there are a bunch of things that might qualify as low risk for a given definition thereof, stuff like MERFX, LCMAX, etc.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
in a safe investment? I don't want to put any more into stocks than what I already have invested.
When you use words like "safe", people have to assume that you're talking about FDIC-insured CDs.

They're not actually safe either, but they yield more than Treasuries and they have some sort of insurance on their principal that would eventually get it back to you.

Everything else you're thinking of in bonds & equities is riskier. They're not necessarily "unsafe", but they're certainly not "safe" in the sense that you'd be able to recover your principal.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Start investigating your local credit unions.
I'm currently a member of 3 very good ones.
One is tied to a municipality I worked for.
One is a U.S. postal service a family member worked for.
The other is PenFed which anyone can join.
I'm currently getting 3% on a money market fund in 2 of these.
My money is not tied up so I can go get it tomorrow if a better investment comes along.
They are as safe as the U.S. government and the green back as best I can tell.
Hope that gives you some help and thoughts.
Its all about who you know sometimes.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Where should I put the rest of the money so that I'll get the highest return, in a safe investment?
I keep the year's spending money in Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund (VBISX).
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #6

My credit union pays 4% on a checking account, but you have to have direct deposit going into the account so its not of much use if you are retired.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
My credit union pays 4% on a checking account, but you have to have direct deposit going into the account so its not of much use if you are retired.
What is the upper limit on which they will pay this?

Sometimes other direct deposits can be set up, including but not limited to SS payments.

Ha
Old 12-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer, Can you please expound on LCMAX, What is this animal and how does it generate that much yield? Thanks
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Buy some magic beans.
I'm stealing that for use in the spousal personal finance education tribulations series. The word safe has been almost completely eliminated from her vocabulary.

Brewer, what would you say is the relative definition of low risk for alternatives like MERFX et. al.?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Leonidas, you are welcome to all the magic beans your DW can handle.

MERFX: This is a merger arbitrage fund. Basically, company X offers to buy company Y for $50 in stock, but company Y is trading at $47. So MERFX evaluates the likelihood the deal will close and the likely timing and if they like the deal they go long X and short Y. When the deal closes, they net $3. Rinse and repeat. It can get a lot more complicated, but that is the basic idea. This strategy is known in the trade as "picking up nickels in front of an oncoming bulldozer," but if you do it diversified enough and you do not leverage, it is usually a low risk, low volatility strategy. Since the fundametal construction of the fund is long one stock, short another, exposure to the overall market is limited. The risk is that the manager loses their touch or their mind (see Bill Miller and maybe Bill Gross).

LCMAX: This is somewhat similar to a hedge fund. It is a long-short bond fund that puts on a lot of its positions via derivatives. The fund intentionally maintains little or no net exposure to bonds, but makes directional bets as the managers attempt to generate an idiosyncratic return. Ignore the yield: focus on total return.

I would never put more than 10% of a portfolio in an individual diversifier fund like MERFX or LCMAX, but they make nice, market neutral diversifiers that I would expect to generate high single digit returns over the long haul.

FWIW, MERFX has a direct competitor (ARBFX) that is currently closed. Given the choice, I would split money between the two.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is the upper limit on which they will pay this?

Sometimes other direct deposits can be set up, including but not limited to SS payments.

Ha
$50K
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Leonidas, you are welcome to all the magic beans your DW can handle.
Thanks, but it was more a case of needing to be persuaded that there is no such thing as safe. The next time she talks about a safe investment I'll use the magic bean comment.

Thanks for the intro on LCMAX and MERFX.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I keep the year's spending money in Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund (VBISX).
What has been the average return of this? Is it more than 3-4% that people are getting in credit unions?

Will definitely check out my local credit unions as I am getting about 1% from my bank right now, as well as MERFX.
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Brewer for LCMAX explaination.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #15

3% at a credit union? i looked at local cu online and they were paying a whopping 10 basis points up to (are you sitting down?) 50 bp. ally and ing are far better than this, where are these cu?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #16

Quote:
What has been the average return of this?
Performance numbers for VBISX are here.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #17

I keep a 45/45/10 (equity/bonds/cash) allocation in retirement. Cash is in a mix of bank account and CD ladder. Bonds are in VBISX and VBMFX and equities are in VTSMX and VGTSX. A KISS approach.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
3% at a credit union? i looked at local cu online and they were paying a whopping 10 basis points up to (are you sitting down?) 50 bp. ally and ing are far better than this, where are these cu?
Exactly....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a certain amount invested in retirement accounts as well as a separate stock market account. I decided to have a reserve of maybe $5000 to keep in a money market savings account. Where should I put the rest of the money so that I'll get the highest return, in a safe investment? I don't want to put any more into stocks than what I already have invested.

Thanks!
Highest return, safe investment or kind of an oxymoron.

Of safe from what? For example, money in a money market may be safe from stock market decline, but not safe from inflation. Likewise, money in stocks might stay ahead of inflation, but has the market decline risk.

Rather than have a set amount (as in your case, $5000), would break that down into percentages (asset allocation). So much held back in a money market as "chicken money", i.e., emergency fund. So much in fixed income, so much in equities, etc. All at levels you feel comfortable with.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Highest return, safe investment or kind of an oxymoron.

Of safe from what? For example, money in a money market may be safe from stock market decline, but not safe from inflation. Likewise, money in stocks might stay ahead of inflation, but has the market decline risk.
Intersting hypothesis, but in the last bigtime inflation that we experienced in the USA(1970s), money market funds and t-bills fared much better than either stocks or bonds.

Ha