Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
You could dig a hole in the back yard and bury a jar with your money in it. :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
That assumes our society, political system and economy are still intact. Digging up a jar full of Confederate notes that great grandma buried in the backyard in Alabama wouldn't do you much good today!
Good point! I guess you'd have to bury gold bullion(sp?), instead!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I had no idea there was that much in the fund!
So, $1 in surplus for every $45 in CD's...........

Plus, the Treasury has up to 99 years to repay you if the banking system fails and they have to play "catch-up"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

There are many risks, some visible - loss of principal, others not so visible - inflation, etc.

Trying to mitigate one risk based on "current" conditions will probably unintentionally expose you to another risk which will occur in the future.

Your best bet is to join the asset allocation thread and learn to build an allocation that is acceptable for the long haul unless you have so much money that you can avoid all risks but credit risk. Then buy US treasuries, gold bullion, and food/ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
That assumes our society, political system and economy are still intact. Digging up a jar full of Confederate notes that great grandma buried in the backyard in Alabama wouldn't do you much good today!

Actually it would probably be great to have that jar from a collectors view as long as they are still in good shape. Wonder what the return is for the last 150 years?

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So, $1 in surplus for every $45 in CD's...........

Plus, the Treasury has up to 99 years to repay you if the banking system fails and they have to play "catch-up"..........
It's kinda not reassuring if one looks too closely behind the curtain, through the fog and mirrors and see the system is built mostly upon trust, psychology and 1 cent on the dollar in solid backing.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think a lot of people have the same question. Why your concerns are dismissed as laughable is a mystery to me.

With the caveat that I am not an investment professional and do not purport to have any special expertise that could reasonably be relied upon, my own approach has been to keep the majority of my portfolio in cash or cash equivalents (including commercial money market funds, treasury money market funds, short-term treasury bills, and some foreign hard currencies), and the rest in a mix of funds that I consider to be pretty good bets in the face of a falling dollar and a floundering stock market: foreign-denominated treasury bonds, gold/silver ETFs, and balanced stock/bond funds concentrated in the consumer staple and natural resource sectors. I also devote a small allocation to BEARX (a predominately short fund).

Here are a few of the funds that interest me at the present time:

Permanent Portfolio (PRPFX)
Vanguard Wellesley Fund (VWINX)
Vanguard Wellington Fund (VWELX)
Vanguard Life Strategy Income (VASIX)
Prudent Global Income Fund (PSAFX)
U.S. Global Investors Global Resources Fund (PSPFX)
T. Rowe Price New Era Fund (PRNEX)
PIMCO Commodity Real Return Fund (PCRDX)
Hussman Strategic Growth Fund
Lehman International Treasury Bond Fund (BWX)
Hussman Strategic Total Return Fund (HSTRX)
Vanguard Consumer Staples (VDC)
Currency Shares Swiss Francs Trust (FXF)
Currency Shares Canadian Dollar Trust (FXC)
Merk Hard Currency Fund (MERKX)

That should give you some things to look at.
emilylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #26

Thank you emilylynn.
Your investment mix makes sense and is very agreeable to me right now.
Appreciate you sharing the list of ideas - that will keep me occupied and my mind off the markets.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilylynn View Post
Why your concerns are dismissed as laughable is a mystery to me.
My reading of the thread shows no dismissal of his concerns and posters laughing with Danny, not at him.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

Actually it would probably be great to have that jar from a collectors view as long as they are still in good shape. Wonder what the return is for the last 150 years?
If the situation has detiorated to the point where only items buried in the backyard have value, I wouldn't count on "collector's value!" I can see it now........... A mean lookin' guy with a 12 gauge approaches you, his starving family standing in the background, and demands your food. "No way!" you say. "But here, take this Rembrandt, it has lots of collector value!"

Let's hope things don't move off in that direction. It makes spending old age in a nursing home sound good.....!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #29

I think Wahoo and the guys are more worried than I am, but are trying to show a brave front to steady me so I don't scare anyone else. Helps to have a chuckle while my knees buckle also.

Still I think emilylynn's mix is a good posture for the coming bad times ahead.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If the situation has detiorated to the point where only items buried in the backyard have value, I wouldn't count on "collector's value!" I can see it now........... A mean lookin' guy with a 12 gauge approaches you, his starving family standing in the background, and demands your food. "No way!" you say. "But here, take this Rembrandt, it has lots of collector value!"

Let's hope things don't move off in that direction. It makes spending old age in a nursing home sound good.....!
Anyone else read Cormac McCarthy's The Road? Now there's a fun read.

Violence, in McCarthy's postapocalyptic tour de force, has been visited worldwide in the form of a "long shear of light and then a series of low concussions" that leaves cities and forests burned, birds and fish dead and the earth shrouded in gray clouds of ash. In this landscape, an unnamed man and his young son journey down a road to get to the sea. (The man's wife, who gave birth to the boy after calamity struck, has killed herself.) They carry blankets and scavenged food in a shopping cart, and the man is armed with a revolver loaded with his last two bullets. Beyond the ever-present possibility of starvation lies the threat of roving bands of cannibalistic thugs. The man assures the boy that the two of them are "good guys," but from the way his father treats other stray survivors the boy sees that his father has turned into an amoral survivalist, tenuously attached to the morality of the past by his fierce love for his son. McCarthy establishes himself here as the closest thing in American literature to an Old Testament prophet, trolling the blackest registers of human emotion to create a haunting and grim novel about civilization's slow death after the power goes out
Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Violence, in McCarthy's postapocalyptic tour de force, has been visited worldwide in the form of a "long shear of light and then a series of low concussions" that leaves cities and forests burned, birds and fish dead and the earth shrouded in gray clouds of ash. In this landscape, an unnamed man and his young son journey down a road to get to the sea. (The man's wife, who gave birth to the boy after calamity struck, has killed herself.) They carry blankets and scavenged food in a shopping cart, and the man is armed with a revolver loaded with his last two bullets. Beyond the ever-present possibility of starvation lies the threat of roving bands of cannibalistic thugs. The man assures the boy that the two of them are "good guys," but from the way his father treats other stray survivors the boy sees that his father has turned into an amoral survivalist, tenuously attached to the morality of the past by his fierce love for his son. McCarthy establishes himself here as the closest thing in American literature to an Old Testament prophet, trolling the blackest registers of human emotion to create a haunting and grim novel about civilization's slow death after the power goes out
Danny, did you forget to take your vitamin P?

Ha
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Danny, did you forget to take your vitamin P?

Ha
This forum is my prozac

I don't recommend The Road - it was kind of depressing.
Not as entertaining and cheery as No Country For Old Men
I'll take the lows and highs of the markets for my everyday kicks- I know there's a chance of a happy ending...
Old 12-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

You want depressing, read some of this survivalist forum stuff:

Collapse

The guy writes pretty well actually.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post

Collapse

Wow! Interesting reading! I don't explore the web very much. This board, my brokerage house site, a few other financial sites, and vacation-travel-fishing-outdoorsey info, and that sort of thing. That's about it. So, I'm not very familar with this sort of thing...... I went and couldn't tear myself away for a good half hour.

Some days I don't feel like drinking and spend the entire evening stone, cold sober. But now I have a cure for that malady! Go to "Collapse" and then go to the liquor cabinet.........
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Some days I don't feel like drinking and spend the entire evening stone, cold sober. But now I have a cure for that malady! Go to "Collapse" and then go to the liquor cabinet.........
ROFL!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #36

I vote for gold bars.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

You guys are scary. I feel like have 3 -6 months of canned goods and water stored in the basement. And an arsenal on the wall.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post

Collapse

I could not stop laughing. I have never seen anyone who sees so many negative things coming from
so many directions. I kept expecting to come across :

"Adopting a puppy can be a cold, thankless task. . ."

"Having a steak and a fine red wine for dinner is a sign of major disruptions to come . . ."

"You are never so alone as when having sex with someone you love . . ."
Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
You guys are scary. I feel like have 3 -6 months of canned goods and water stored in the basement. And an arsenal on the wall.
Seriously, maybe not 3-6 months and an arsenal, but have you considered what kind of emergency contingency plans you should have?

In a hurricane/ice storm/earthquake/etc., there could well be disruption of normal services and looting for a period of a week or two. Having enough food and water for two weeks and a firearm to persuade looters to go elsewhere for easier pickings is not a bad idea.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #40

I'm actually thinking there are some over sold stocks out there that may be a safe place to put some money right now, but I'm not in a huge hurry, I would like for them to be put on clearance.