Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Safe Withdrawl Rate -- 6%
Old 03-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

TH, how long do you think it'll take people to figure out how to read that post #76 of yours?
15 seconds. Cut. Paste in word. Change font size.

ORANGE clogs

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Crap Sheryl, its easier than that...just QUOTE the post and you'll get it in full size

So its the reverse of what I thought. How unusual for THAT to happen?

Was looking at a really great house that was 2 lots over from a set of high tension power lines. Guy from PG&E came out with some kinda emissions meter. I forget what it was exactly, but the rough numbers were 90 under the wires, about 35 at the edge of the property, about 20 at the house and at other places far away from the lines. While the guy was there he put it in front of the microwave, the clock radio, and the heating pad in the water bed...all were well over 400 and something...

So if the emissions are dangerous, you'd be better off standing under the lines than lying in bed.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
So if the emissions are dangerous, you'd be better off standing under the lines than lying in bed.
Yes, but 60 Hz electromagnetic energy only affects cows in Wisconsin.

Ooops. Never mind, forget I said that.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 PM   #84

Quote:
Good thing I remembered to take out the line item for sex toys, pudding and orange clogs
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #85

Quote:
. . .

Was looking at a really great house that was 2 lots over from a set of high tension power lines.* Guy from PG&E came out with some kinda emissions meter.* I forget what it was exactly, but the rough numbers were 90 under the wires, about 35 at the edge of the property, about 20 at the house and at other places far away from the lines.* While the guy was there he put it in front of the microwave, the clock radio, and the heating pad in the water bed...all were well over 400 and something...

It's not really that simple. Assuming the guy had a broadband sensor and really knew what he was doing (don't bet on that). He was measuring very low frequency energy from the power line (High power, long distance lines do not transfer energy at 60Hz but at much lower frequencies). The microwave oven works at over 2GHz. The clock radio was probably putting off something on the order of 1MHz. You get the picture. The freuqncy of the various sources was more than 9 orders of magnitude different. This is important because different frequencies react with biological tissue in very different ways.

Having said all that, legitimate scientific studies have never been able to detect any biological effects caused from low frequency radiation typical of power lines until power levels get so high that they ionize matter. In other words, it won't happen from being underneath a power line.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #86

Quote:
Crap Sheryl, its easier than that...just QUOTE the post and you'll get it in full size
True - but then I would have had to reply to it.

Quote:

So its the reverse of what I thought.* How unusual for THAT to happen?
Oh, Golly gee -* Like maybe ..... Always??*
[Channelling Napopleon Dynamite]
Old 03-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I may have to start pouting if you guys keep making fun of me. The shrinking violet in me is starting to wilt.

SG - Yeah, I got the gist of the 'problem' before hand. Thing is, it was a helluva house and I wanted to buy it, but the live-in-girlfriend at the time was scared to death of the powerlines that were out of sight and that were to be buried in the ground in a few years. 3800 square feet on an acre, two master suites each with a large balcony overlooking Folsom Lake, absolutely every amenity you could plausibly imagine, $360k. This 'test' was pretty much just to 'prove' there wasnt a problem and resolve the objection. Even though its not clear there are any problems from standing under the things all day, every day.

The original homeowner resolved the problem by backing out of wanting to sell the house. He was in love with it. His wife on the other hand hated the house, the amount of upkeep, and the fact that when he wasnt at work (MD) he was tinkering with something in the house. Four kids. She wanted something smaller.

After he backed out, she solved the problem further by divorcing him, forcing the sale of the home for even less, and making sure he got to spend all of his time at the office. I'd already bought elsewhere. Bummer. That was a nice house.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #88

Quote:
I may have to start pouting if you guys keep making fun of me.* The shrinking violet in me is starting to wilt.
Aw, I'm sorry.

You are my favorite fuzzy bunny.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Come on...I'm your ONLY bunny
Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #90

Quote:
Come on...I'm your ONLY bunny
Maybe until Easter. Then I am hoping for a big white chocolate bunny that I can bite the ears off!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

After last months vasectomy extravaganza, I'm glad its just the ears you're out to bite off...
Old 03-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #92

My real name's not Lorena.