Safe Withdrawl Rate -- 6%

I really appreciate the effort you and CFB did to put together this list. It gives me something to think about.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Safe fuzzy withdrawal rate. :D

REWahoo! said:
TP, another less costly approach would be to spring for a new microwave (prices have come down a lot in the last 22 years), then hook the power supply from your old microwave up to your old computer.  Might help to fill it with 10W30, too. ;)
I'd fill it with butter, because he might be able to figure out a way to make popcorn just by laying the bag on top of the monitor and pushing the "F12" key.  TH's monitor might be a double-bagger.

Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Agreed. Gabe wants to play with my computer keyboard all the time, so I dug a 10 year old one out of the back closet.  Must weigh twice what my new one does, and he can throw it around without fear of immediate destruction.  So far so good.
Just wait'll he drops that quality IBM product on his foot.  Or your foot.

I was under the impression that it was a good idea to get rid of the older microwaves because they tended to emit a lot more 'bad stuff' (whatever the hell that might be). Anyone have any good non-anecdotal stuff about that?
Aaaaw, 2.4 GHz is just radio energy and the resonant frequency for heating anything in your anatomy that's based on an H2O molecule.  That's why the major airlines park the noses of their planes toward the passenger terminals-- it helps save on heating costs.

(For those of you who also read Justin's posts, the last sentence of the previous paragraph was a joke.  The next paragraph is not a joke.)

Submarine corpsmen were required to wave a portable RF detector in front of a microwave oven every month or so and record the results in their maintenance logs.  (Imagine our corpsman's embarrassment when he found out later that the microwave oven was supposed to be operating at the time.)  Even when the measurement was conducted properly he never detected any emissions.  Since the submarine's ESM suite was usually stuffed with cryptographic intercept experts who would immediately freak over 2.4 GHz in their vicinity, the detector was probably working OK.  Today those portable microwave energy detectors are sold at consumer prices.  It might be fun to take one of these to the microwave-oven aisle at an appliance store and start waving it around with a concerned look on your face.

Anyway the older microwaves were very well shielded (and very heavy) because those older magnetrons were made with higher-quality material in order to minimize leakage as well as achieve a higher power density.  Electronic advancements over the last 10 years have resulted in magnetrons that operate at much higher power densities with very cheap parts.  They tend to burn out before they get a chance to leak.  Six-sigma quality control also means that the shielding can be cut way back because those magnetrons weren't leaking when they left the factory!  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've noticed that of the half-dozen microwave ovens that have passed through our house in the last two decades, the only survivor is the 20-year old GE.

Seriously, though, unless the microwave's door is being held shut with duct tape, it's probably safe.  Unless of course your kids discover this guy's website.

I wouldn't waste money on an energy-efficient microwave.  It's tweaking from the 96th to the 99th percentile-- they barely use any energy to begin with, and it's far less than a stove burner or an oven.  Most people buy microwaves for their features, and I've been informed that the 20th wedding anniversary is not china or platinum but rather a convection microwave.

TH, how long do you think it'll take people to figure out how to read that post #76 of yours?

Good thing I remembered to take out the line item for sex toys, pudding and orange clogs
As long as no horses are involved. :D

Nords said:
TH, how long do you think it'll take people to figure out how to read that post #76 of yours?

15 seconds. Cut. Paste in word. Change font size.

ORANGE clogs:confused:

Crap Sheryl, its easier than that...just QUOTE the post and you'll get it in full size ;)

So its the reverse of what I thought. How unusual for THAT to happen?

Was looking at a really great house that was 2 lots over from a set of high tension power lines. Guy from PG&E came out with some kinda emissions meter. I forget what it was exactly, but the rough numbers were 90 under the wires, about 35 at the edge of the property, about 20 at the house and at other places far away from the lines. While the guy was there he put it in front of the microwave, the clock radio, and the heating pad in the water bed...all were well over 400 and something...

So if the emissions are dangerous, you'd be better off standing under the lines than lying in bed.

So if the emissions are dangerous, you'd be better off standing under the lines than lying in bed.
Yes, but 60 Hz electromagnetic energy only affects cows in Wisconsin.

Ooops. Never mind, forget I said that.

Good thing I remembered to take out the line item for sex toys, pudding and orange clogs

. . .

Was looking at a really great house that was 2 lots over from a set of high tension power lines.  Guy from PG&E came out with some kinda emissions meter.  I forget what it was exactly, but the rough numbers were 90 under the wires, about 35 at the edge of the property, about 20 at the house and at other places far away from the lines.  While the guy was there he put it in front of the microwave, the clock radio, and the heating pad in the water bed...all were well over 400 and something...

It's not really that simple. Assuming the guy had a broadband sensor and really knew what he was doing (don't bet on that). He was measuring very low frequency energy from the power line (High power, long distance lines do not transfer energy at 60Hz but at much lower frequencies). The microwave oven works at over 2GHz. The clock radio was probably putting off something on the order of 1MHz. You get the picture. The freuqncy of the various sources was more than 9 orders of magnitude different. This is important because different frequencies react with biological tissue in very different ways.

Having said all that, legitimate scientific studies have never been able to detect any biological effects caused from low frequency radiation typical of power lines until power levels get so high that they ionize matter. In other words, it won't happen from being underneath a power line.

:) :D :D

Crap Sheryl, its easier than that...just QUOTE the post and you'll get it in full size ;)

True - but then I would have had to reply to it.

So its the reverse of what I thought.  How unusual for THAT to happen?

Oh, Golly gee -  Like maybe ..... Always?? 
[Channelling Napopleon Dynamite]

I may have to start pouting if you guys keep making fun of me. The shrinking violet in me is starting to wilt.

SG - Yeah, I got the gist of the 'problem' before hand. Thing is, it was a helluva house and I wanted to buy it, but the live-in-girlfriend at the time was scared to death of the powerlines that were out of sight and that were to be buried in the ground in a few years. 3800 square feet on an acre, two master suites each with a large balcony overlooking Folsom Lake, absolutely every amenity you could plausibly imagine, $360k. This 'test' was pretty much just to 'prove' there wasnt a problem and resolve the objection. Even though its not clear there are any problems from standing under the things all day, every day.

The original homeowner resolved the problem by backing out of wanting to sell the house. He was in love with it. His wife on the other hand hated the house, the amount of upkeep, and the fact that when he wasnt at work (MD) he was tinkering with something in the house. Four kids. She wanted something smaller.

After he backed out, she solved the problem further by divorcing him, forcing the sale of the home for even less, and making sure he got to spend all of his time at the office. I'd already bought elsewhere. Bummer. That was a nice house.

I may have to start pouting if you guys keep making fun of me.  The shrinking violet in me is starting to wilt.

Aw, I'm sorry. :'(

You are my favorite fuzzy bunny. :-*

Come on...I'm your ONLY bunny :)

Maybe until Easter. Then I am hoping for a big white chocolate bunny that I can bite the ears off! :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom