Join Early Retirement Today

Safest way to pay tax owed
Old 03-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Safest way to pay tax owed

E-filed this year and owe minimal tax payment to a State. I have always been leary of paying with a personal check and writing my SSN on it, fearing that if stolen, they would get my SSN and bank account number.

Is this fear unreasonable? What do you think is your most secure way of paying taxes owed? I was considering using an Official Bank check or money order; but, how would I prove it has been cashed?

Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

At least here in Indiana we can pay via the states website.

wmc1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

etransfer. Cannot remember the last time that we wrote a cheque to anyone.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
At least here in Indiana we can pay via the states website.
Thanks. The state involved in my case also has that avaialbe; but, then I have to put my SSN on-line with my computer.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
etransfer. Cannot remember the last time that we wrote a cheque to anyone.
Thanks. What is "etransfer"?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Why are worried about your SSN getting out there?
Equifax already gave it away.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I mail in a check with my SSN # on it. Thanks to a former insurance company and now Equifax, my personal data have been out in the wild for years.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
E-filed this year and owe minimal tax payment to a State. I have always been leary of paying with a personal check and writing my SSN on it, fearing that if stolen, they would get my SSN and bank account number.

Is this fear unreasonable? What do you think is your most secure way of paying taxes owed? I was considering using an Official Bank check or money order; but, how would I prove it has been cashed?
A true "youngster" would not have such trepediations.

On my state tax dept website when I get on to pay taxes it is a secure site (https rather than http).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #9

The risk of ID theft from a paper check is less than entering your info into a browser. Either way the data is in a DB somewhere at the end.
Aerides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #10

I don't put my SSN on the check. They still cash it.
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Delusions of security
Old 03-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Delusions of security

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
my state tax dept website when I get on to pay taxes it is a secure site (https rather than http).
https://scotthelme.co.uk/ssl-does-not-make-site-secure/
"Unfortunately, using SSL/TLS doesn't mean that a site is secure."
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

There have been so many comedy of errors with the Revenue Department in my state.

I pull out my dusty checkbook and mail the check to them so there is proof it was received and applied to my account.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I owed both the IRS and Louisiana some money this time. So, I let TurboTax send money to both electronically, directly from my checking account.

I don't know what the most secure way to pay might be, but I have never had problems handling payments this way.

Now, one can also pay through EFTPS (for the IRS), or through Louisiana's equivalent to the EFTPS. That would leave TurboTax out of the loop. But TurboTax already has my SSN in order to file my tax returns, so I didn't bother.
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post

I use the electronic tax payment system eftps.gov which schedules payments to the IRS by ACH. They pull it from one of my online savings accounts. I donít have to worry about checks in the mail, deadlines, etc.

You could always have a separate checking or savings account if you were concerned about the IRS having access to your funds and messing something up. Itís easy to open and find online accounts.

Iíve used it for well over a decade with never a problem. Big businesses use it as well as us individual peons.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
https://scotthelme.co.uk/ssl-does-not-make-site-secure/
"Unfortunately, using SSL/TLS doesn't mean that a site is secure."
Yup. I've noticed lately more and more sites are switching back to http from https, or at least providing ordinary content via either method.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Most Secure Method of Paying Taxes Owed?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most Secure Method of Paying Taxes Owed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngster View Post
what do you think is your most secure way of paying taxes owed?
Most secure? Schlep your state taxes owed into one of these buildings. There's probably one just like it in your state.

AZ DOR.png
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.Ē

Mark Twain
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #17

I assume you were not comfortable providing your account number info when you efiled and you're not comfortable providing SSN on a check. I would use an obscure checking or better yet savings account and that should limit your exposure. If it's too late for that I would use priority mail or certified. Priority mail costs $6. Use a money order or bank check if you like.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #18

etransfer.

I either go to my bank account, the pay bills section, and transfer money electronically to the tax dept, to my various credit cards, etc.

For personal, I simply long into into my on line bank account and do an etransfer to someones email account. They accept it and the monies get deposited in their account. Did it yesterday for a belated wedding gift to a nephew who was married whilst we were away.

The only cheque that I have written in the past year was to the City for a photo radar ticket. This is because those dopes actually charge $5. extra from me to pay electronically. It should be the other way because of the cost of handling the mail, the payment, and entering into their system. That's local Government for you.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I don't put my SSN on the check. They still cash it.
Yeah - but they might not credit your IRS payment to your SSN.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #20

Youngster -- Yes you seem a bit more cautious/concerned about identity theft than is warranted IMHO in the year 2018 - in the 1980s this would be a different story.

Do you have security freezes (ie the ones you have to pay for) at all three credit bureaus? If not, get on this asap.

Do you check your accounts at least monthly for fraudulent activity and know how to contact the firm if you find a transaction that you didn't authorize?

Do you have multiple separate bank accounts and credit card accounts so that if one gets compromised, you won't have a cash flow crisis in the interim until the fraud transactions are reversed?

Do you avoid clicking on attachments/links that you receive via email?

If you can say yes to all of these, I don't think you have much to worry about.

-gauss
p.s. I use to worry about this stuff, then I learned about all the measures described above. I sleep fine at night now.

gauss is offline   Reply With Quote