Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Two antennas? I don't think so. I think I only have one connection outlet.
I am going to put a second tv in the living room downstairs anyway and I'm pretty sure the reception is even worse down there.
I don't know why I put this rant in the thread that is saying how to save money, sorry for sidetrack.
Check out this thread - maybe the stations you are trying to get are VHF? This requires a VHF (generally larger) antenna unless you are in a very strong signal area.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Two antennas? I don't think so. I think I only have one connection outlet.
I am going to put a second tv in the living room downstairs anyway and I'm pretty sure the reception is even worse down there.
I don't know why I put this rant in the thread that is saying how to save money, sorry for sidetrack.
All it takes is to bring the cables from your two antennas into a splitter/combiner and the common tap then goes to your tv. This was commonly done back in the day, when OTA was the only solution. Radio Shack should have one for about 15-20.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is there any way I can get my cable TV provider to stop sending me junk mail every week or two trying to get me to add services such as internet and phone, followed by phone calls from them trying to do the same? Why can't they STOP doing those wasteful things and cut my bill a few dollars a month? Also, my cable TV provider has as part of their basic cable a channel (the YES network) which includes a $3 monthly charge I cannot get out of. I on't watch the YES (sports) network but I am being charged for it as if it were a premium channel like HBO but unable to opt out of it without sacrificing nearly all of the remaining cable channels. I told one of their aforementioned telephone flunkies about this but all he wanted to do was to sell me MORE services in the name of "saving" me money.

On the flip side, I get lots of junk mail from my phone and internet service provider (Verizon) trying to get me to sign up for cable TV service and higher speed internet service. At least they don't call me all the time but between these two companies I get half of my junk mail which wears out my paper shredder and wastes my time disposing of it all. Can't they stop spending money to print and mail this garbage and cut my rate a few dollars a month?

How can I opt out of this endless stream of junk mail from both companies?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
My (broadband only) cable bill went from $50 to $55 p/month about a year ago. Not sure how much leverage I have with them.
Just received a notice from my cable company that my internet rate was going up from $40 to $47 a month. Called and switched to their lowest tier plan $32/month. I really don't see any difference when Internet surfing but it is noticeable when downloading big files. What little video streaming I do seems to be OK. My cable company has been regularly increasing the speeds for each of their plans so the lower tier plan is actually where the mid tier plan was about 2-3 years ago.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #25

My basic cable is 26/mo plus 8 for Netflix. I buy the least amount of internet speed that I can get by on. I would have to be house bound 24/7 to spend 140/mo for cable tv.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had a real hard time getting reliable internet service on the island. I did a little research and found that the U.S. Is lagging behind in this area too, ranking 35th worldwide. It's also much more expensive. Go figure.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Internet connection 25 down/10 up is $40 a month.
Add approximately $27 a month for Netflix streaming with one disk at a time and Hulu Plus.
Less than half the price of cable.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #28

Little bit funny ... when a similar thread was started 2 years ago I called Comcast and got my bill dropped $45/mo by asking for the introductory offer (even tho I was a existing customer). Now upon seeing this thread I looked at my cable bill and saw that the intro rate "expired" ... so I called again ... same result (bill back down to the intro rate).

THANX!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Internet connection 25 down/10 up is $40 a month.
Add approximately $27 a month for Netflix streaming with one disk at a time and Hulu Plus.
Less than half the price of cable.
$40 a month for high speed internet.
$23 a month for Hulu Plus, Netflix streaming, and Amazon Prime.
Half the price I paid for cable.
never going back!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

TWC started charging $5.99/month for a modem lease (previously it was free) so I optained a modem for around $60 and advised them to lower my bill that they had just increased. (what a racket!)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
TWC started charging $5.99/month for a modem lease (previously it was free) so I optained a modem for around $60 and advised them to lower my bill that they had just increased. (what a racket!)
Yep, I'm within days of cutting the cord - at least I think I am. The only thing standing in the way at the moment is getting confirmation from my wireless internet provider that their highly sophisticated OTA two-way broadband carrier pigeon system can reach me out here with a higher speed connection than I currently have.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #32

I currently pay $30 for TimeWarnerCable Internet, $4 for Ooma (phone), $0 for TV, and $0 for icefilms content (on the rare case there's something that can not be found on a web site somewhere).

I do have a bit invested in DVR technology (I Need a New OTA DVR (again)).
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #33

Normally I just plod along every month getting the Verizon bill, grind my teeth and then just pay the bill. Got our latest bill today and I'm pissed. These guys don't know a good customer when they see one and just keep gouging you. Tomorrow I'm on the phone to get this bill lowered. Here's my breakdown:

$30.00 Unlimited digital phone.
78.00 FIOS Ultimate HDTV (just upped from $70). Ultimate includes Golf,
NFL and college package.
39.99 Internet 35/35
19.99 HBO (package includes Showtime)
5.99 Digital Adapter (in addition to 3 free ones)
16.99 HD DVR rental (Also get a 2nd cable box free)
-10.00 12 month promotion HBO

$180.96 Sub Total
22.51 Taxes and fees

$203.47 GRAND TOTAL PER MONTH (plus $8 for Netflix)

A year ago this bill would have been $175. They just keep digging away at you. Really, this is our only entertainment so $2400 per year isn't bad I guess.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Normally I just plod along every month getting the Verizon bill, grind my teeth and then just pay the bill. Got our latest bill today and I'm pissed. These guys don't know a good customer when they see one and just keep gouging you. Tomorrow I'm on the phone to get this bill lowered. Here's my breakdown:

$30.00 Unlimited digital phone.
78.00 FIOS Ultimate HDTV (just upped from $70). Ultimate includes Golf,
NFL and college package.
39.99 Internet 35/35
19.99 HBO (package includes Showtime)
5.99 Digital Adapter (in addition to 3 free ones)
16.99 HD DVR rental (Also get a 2nd cable box free)
-10.00 12 month promotion HBO

$180.96 Sub Total
22.51 Taxes and fees

$203.47 GRAND TOTAL PER MONTH
On the good side, you do have Fios, which has a better reputation than TWC, you do have Golf, NFL, and College, you do have HBO and Showtime, and you do have a DVR and digital adapter. Are the sports and HBO worth maybe $125 or so/month to you?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Let's see... I'm at about ...

$20/month - DSL Internet (not the fastest, but price hasn't increased at all)
$45/month - landline unlimited nationwide calling (yep, landline)
$0/month - OTA TV (of course, just bought the OTA DVR and antenna I'm happy with, so $0 from now on)
~$10/month - tracfone prepaid that I load minutes once a year
-----
$75/month total
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
On the good side, you do have Fios, which has a better reputation than TWC, you do have Golf, NFL, and College, you do have HBO and Showtime, and you do have a DVR and digital adapter. Are the sports and HBO worth maybe $125 or so/month to you?
Wait while I ask my wife. She said yes. Just about a year ago we bought a new TV so she could see it better. Big reason was she could better read the on-screen guide. Worked somewhat. Of course we did this just in time for the super bowl last year. It's a 70" Visio smart TV with Netflix built right in. We love it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Keegs,
Mine is only $40/month, but I haven't looked for a while. It has probably jumped to $60 by now.

They kind of have me on this. It is really fast problem free service, and I like the wireless router/modem setup that communicates with my laptop and Blue Ray players.

I can save $10/month by buying my own modem, but if I have problems they can blame my modem, so I've hesitated on doing that. I think nice ones are about $100.

JP
I bought a reconditioned modem for my mom and one for me when our cable company started charging monthly rent on theirs. I bought on Amazon and I think they were both under $30 each. Brighthouse had a list of 'approved' models so I made sure I bought one of those. We have had no issues over the last year. Money well spent.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

This will be interesting to watch. It appears cable and satellite providers are heading for trouble. As they lose subscribers, they jack up rates, which causes them to lose more subscribers to cheaper alternatives. It's becoming a circular ride on a lawn cigar.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a series of videos on YouTube called "cord cutters" that has some good ideas for saving money on your cable bill, or shutting it off entirely. It has hosts that talk about the pros and cons of different setups and review new equipment. Sometimes too they play videos people send in of their home setups. In addition, just viewing these brings up tons of amateur videos in the "recommended" sidebar uploaded by Dick and Jane.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #40

OK, like a lot of people, we just recently "cut the cable," so I'll add my numbers to the discussion:

Internet: $69/mo for FiOS 50/25 (I could go cheaper, but we need the bandwidth)
TV: $8/mo for Netflix (local channels included with FiOS, no antenna needed)
Home phone: $0 use Goggle Voice with an Obi100 VoIP device

We also use a PC connected to the TV for free Hulu and other streaming content. And we use XBMC with a bunch of "content aggregator" add-ons that get us virtually anything else we can't find... and for DVR functionality on the local stuff.

We were previously paying FiOS around $200/mo for TV/internet/phone, plus HBO and a bunch of boxes. No more. We get everything we want for less than $80.