Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
This will be interesting to watch. It appears cable and satellite providers are heading for trouble. As they lose subscribers, they jack up rates, which causes them to lose more subscribers to cheaper alternatives. It's becoming a circular ride on a lawn cigar.

Sounds like a death spiral.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yeah, the post office is in the death spiral ...

Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

The cable companies and other internet service providers are fully aware of Hulu, Netflix, etc., and are working on a way to increase internet fees based on data usage.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

just be aware who owns what in the "new" streaming world.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Comcast, and I've heard this isn't true for every cable provider, but works great for me.

I think if I have internet with no cable TV, it's $70/month. When I add the most basic cable TV package (like 20 channels) it saves me $10, so it's $60/month. However, they usually get you with the various fees:

$10 for HD service
$10 for cable box rental

And perhaps others. However, it turns out that cable cards are super cheap to get from Comcast, I think it's $2 for the first, free for any after that. So, you can do a few things, one of which is pretty cheap:
1) Build your own HTPC that runs Windows Media Center (for nerds like me)
2) Buy a TiVo off of Craigslist for $35 and don't pay for the subscription

If you do #2, you get a cheap Cablebox with almost no extra fees or overhead. I have a cheap TiVo as my 2nd cablebox in my house, and it saved me $30 to do that instead of picking up an actual 2nd cable box or DTA from Comcast.

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I would cut the cable (actually satellite in my case) if I could get my locals OTA but were are in a rural area at the bottom of a high ridge between us and the transmitters so no antenna for us. I think the internet streaming from the locals is advancing bit-by-bit so it may be a viable option for me in a year or two.

That said, I'm fairly happy with the satellite service and the cost. Here is ours:

Dish satellite w/DVR and 3 tvs - mid level package 65
DSL internet (sufficient for our needs) 50
Ooma phone 14
Two cell phones (Airvoice wireless $10 plan) 20
Total 149
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

>SNIP<

That was the sound of me cutting the cord.

I just got off the phone with DirecTV - canceled our satellite service. We've paid their ever increasing monthly bill for the past 15 years, but no more. Thanks to our property's location high on a hill, we have excellent OTA reception from the local TV towers 40 miles to our southeast. And thanks to a 'smart' TV in the family room, a Wii in the grandkids playroom, and a new Roku in DW's hobby/craft/laundry room, we still have access to 90% or more of what we normally watch.

Our monthly cost reduction from cutting the cord isn't huge - only $30 or so, because we had to upgrade our internet service. That, plus the cost of Netflix (we already had Amazon Prime and the associated instant video streaming) ate into our net savings, but our broadband connection is now 3x as fast as before. However, the fact I no longer have to fight with DirecTV for discounts and suffer heartburn from their annual rate increases is icing on the cake.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #48

The faster internet connection can be a real benefit.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those cable-cutters with internet only plus an antenna, you may want to check with your ISP to see if they offer internet+local TV. My experience has been that these offerings are actually cheaper than internet alone, and save you the hassle and expense of an antenna. It also typically includes 20-30 additional channels (like WGN and the Weather Channel), plus the local networks are crystal clear 1080p with 5.1 SS... which is difficult to achieve OTA for those of us living in the suburbs of a major city.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We cut the cord 3 years ago. Have survived without pain getting OTA providers, CBS,ABC, NBC,FOX and ION plus their assorted side channels and use huluplus to get the few independent channel shows we used to watch. Use a dedicated pc as our dvr - can record 3 shows at a time if needed - Internet + taxes + huluplus = $58/mo - 1 time cost for HTPC was a total of $300
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

And when we have friends over and we watch something on the tv they all want to know how we get such a great HD picture!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
And when we have friends over and we watch something on the tv they all want to know how we get such a great HD picture!
+1

The HD quality of OTA transmissions is impressive, especially if all you've known is cable/satellite HD.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

To save with Comcast you have to call them and get through the phone maze until you get to the person that handles cancelations. Tell them you have hit hard times and need to chop your expenses. Tell them you are thinking of cutting the tv or internet or phone maybe 2 things or just stop all bus. with them but you have to cut something soon....you be surprised what will happen....I saved over 100 dollars (two homes) and got free blast speed.

I plan to call them again soon. They will not call you, you have to call them. There is no risk you can always say maybe you will just let it be for awhile.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

before we left comcast 3 years ago I was paying $115 and they went to $65 without cutting out anything but we cut the cord anyway as i was tired of fighting with them every 12 months. Even though it only saved me $7 a month - ie, $65 vs the $58 we pay now i haven't regretted the decision
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #55

Quote:
before we left comcast 3 years ago I was paying $115 and they went to $65 without cutting out anything but we cut the cord anyway as i was tired of fighting with them every 12 months. Even though it only saved me $7 a month - ie, $65 vs the $58 we pay now i haven't regretted the decision
That's similar to my situation with DirecTV. The annual hassle to get a better deal combined with ever diminishing returns on our entertainment dollar finally reached the breaking point. When I called to cancel this morning I was pleasantly surprised they didn't put up a bigger fight to try to talk me into staying.

Meanwhile, DW is busy binge-watching her favorite shows on Netflix...

Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's similar to my situation with DirecTV. The annual hassle to get a better deal combined with ever diminishing returns on our entertainment dollar finally reached the breaking point. When I called to cancel this morning I was pleasantly surprised they didn't put up a bigger fight to try to talk me into staying.

Meanwhile, DW is busy binge-watching her favorite shows on Netflix...
Sounds like you have a good set up going. For your OTA antenna, did you go outdoor or indoor?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Sounds like you have a good set up going. For your OTA antenna, did you go outdoor or indoor?
I split the difference.

It is a large antenna designed for outdoor use, but our attic was big enough to allow me to install it there. I tried an indoor antenna but it was hit or miss and too susceptible to weather problems.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in my second and final year of my contract with Direct TV. I'm paying 157 per month. I'm definitely going to shut it down when my contract is up.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

The faster internet connection can be a real benefit.
Very true. When I upgraded from a relatively slow 4mb to 25mb, I noticed that Netflix started offering me more HD shows, and the blocky pixelation effect has disappeared.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

It amazes me how my friends with cable think my picture is so much better when all I have is OTA free TV, and a 720p screen. Of course, my TV is a plasma, no small advantage.