Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's similar to my situation with DirecTV. The annual hassle to get a better deal combined with ever diminishing returns on our entertainment dollar finally reached the breaking point. When I called to cancel this morning I was pleasantly surprised they didn't put up a bigger fight to try to talk me into staying.
What?!?!? You object to paying $4 to $5 a month for ESPN??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
When I upgraded from a relatively slow 4mb to 25mb...

My upgrade was from 1.5mb to 5.5mb. 25mb is science fiction out here in the sticks.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The whole cable deal has turned into an annual or semi annual task that DW goes through to keep our cable and internet cost in line for two properties. Just like coupons constant vigilance is required.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
The whole cable deal has turned into an annual or semi annual task that DW goes through to keep our cable and internet cost in line for two properties. Just like coupons constant vigilance is required.
Thankfully, that's no longer true for us.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My upgrade was from 1.5mb to 5.5mb. 25mb is science fiction out here in the sticks.
Ah but you get to live in the sticks! Clean air, less traffic, no noise, and greatly reduced stress and rushing about.

In my case, the faster service was $5 less per month than the slower one.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I split the difference.

It is a large antenna designed for outdoor use, but our attic was big enough to allow me to install it there. I tried an indoor antenna but it was hit or miss and too susceptible to weather problems.
Sounds like a good approach.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #67

Where I am going to live I will have to have Hughsnet for internet. $70 a month for 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up. 10Gbytes of data a month. They also have a deal where you can use more data between 2 am and 8 am. May be able to download some movies then. No cell service and phones don't work over satellite internet. They do have old fashioned land line phone service. I may get that. I don't think I will get TV service. I may do Netflix through the mail, but I have to go to town to get the mail. No mail service. But I do have great UPS service!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #68

I don't want to get into the politics of this decision or sound alarmist, but this is a ruling which (if upheld) could undermine the cost-effectiveness of "cable-cutting" and "dish-ditching":

'Net neutrality' ruling will turn Internet into cable TV, critics say - CSMonitor.com

What does it mean? Cable operators (who are increasingly the main players in the broadband Internet provider business) who are seeing their customer base erode because of video streaming providers like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime can, in theory, charge a lot more for their traffic than for other traffic that goes through their network, or "meter" their usage -- thus eliminating most or all of the cost advantages for ditching their cable TV services. That would be like UPS buying the Interstate Highway System and charging FedEx MUCH higher tolls than anyone else.

It's premature to say that will happen (or when), but this ruling would, if upheld, open the door to allow it. It's just another thing to consider and keep in mind that down the road, it *could* happen.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

It not only could happen, it is likely to happen unless the FCC acts to change rules it wrote earlier.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #70
Confused about dryer sheets

Locked in @ 120/month for 36 months for cable,internet,and alarm system with Comcast X1. Alarm saved about 7% on property insurance. I'd rather invest that 1,440 a year but it keeps the wife and kids happy. Happy wife equals happy life, just not rich.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't want to get into the politics of this decision or sound alarmist, but this is a ruling which (if upheld) could undermine the cost-effectiveness of "cable-cutting" and "dish-ditching":
I don't spend much time downloading movies or You Tube videos so I don't think I would mind having a choice to not pay for those services. Seems to me it would work something like data plans on cell phones. You choose the amount of data you want.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #72

Quote:

'Net neutrality' ruling will turn Internet into cable TV, critics say - CSMonitor.com

What does it mean? Cable operators (who are increasingly the main players in the broadband Internet provider business) who are seeing their customer base erode because of video streaming providers like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime can, in theory, charge a lot more for their traffic than for other traffic that goes through their network, or "meter" their usage -- thus eliminating most or all of the cost advantages for ditching their cable TV services. That would be like UPS buying the Interstate Highway System and charging FedEx MUCH higher tolls than anyone else.

It's premature to say that will happen (or when), but this ruling would, if upheld, open the door to allow it. It's just another thing to consider and keep in mind that down the road, it *could* happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
It not only could happen, it is likely to happen unless the FCC acts to change rules it wrote earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I don't spend much time downloading movies or You Tube videos so I don't think I would mind having a choice to not pay for those services. Seems to me it would work something like data plans on cell phones. You choose the amount of data you want.
For those interested in this subject there is a thread discussing the "net neutrality" decision here: Net neutrality is dead. Bow to Comcast & Verizon.

Saving a few bucks on cable bill
Old 01-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

Saving a few bucks on cable bill

I cut my cord in Mar 2013. Will never go back. Besides TV being a massive waist of time, I love not paying At&t or DirecTV $110 a month. I'll be honest and tell you that fall sports season was a challenge. But I survived watching most ESPN games via my brother's att acct on my IPad. The networks broadcast pro football so you don't miss much there. Cut the cord.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If they raise prices to much, people will go back to the 2 or 3 disks at a time plan offered by Netflix.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If they raise prices to much, people will go back to the 2 or 3 disks at a time plan offered by Netflix.
Back?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #76

I recently switched from Directv to ATT Uverse. Same channels plus boosted internet from 12 to 18 Mbs and saved $20/month. They advised me to call them after 12 months (special pricing) to keep the bill from going up.