Join Early Retirement Today

Saving a few bucks on cable bill
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Saving a few bucks on cable bill

We have Brighthouse for TV, phone, and cable. Last month the monthly bill went from $130 to $140. Bill and previous bill in hand, I went to the local Brighthouse office and asked what happened. The customer service guy started playing around on his computer as customers backed up behind me. After a few minutes, he looked up and said "I think you're going to like this. I found a deal for you." Bottom line: my new bill is $105 a month. I guess they really want to stop losing so many customers. Moral of the story - if you don't like what they charge you, don't be afraid to ask for a better deal. They won't give you a break automatically.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've found that out too, so I now back to my cable company every so often to check the latest promotion deals, but still, I cannot believe I pay so much for cable when I don't watch TV all that much.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, I tried that with Time Warner. They hiked the price yet again, so I called and they said that's the best price they offer (unless of course you're a new customer, which are charged considerably less than if you're a loyal long term customer). So I'm now looking into the best alternatives to cable, which will be some combination of OTA, streaming, and a DVR.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a recent article from Business Insider: about the decline in cable subscribers.

Quote:
All the major TV providers lost a collective 113,000 subscribers in Q3 2013. That doesn't sound like a huge deal — but it includes internet subscribers, too.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
Here's a recent article from Business Insider: about the decline in cable subscribers.
I can believe it. When there is free TV and $7.99 a month Netflix, it's hard to justify the high cost of cable TV.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I can believe it. When there is free TV and $7.99 a month Netflix, it's hard to justify the high cost of cable TV.
Cable is cheaper than a divorce lawyer.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ditto for phone service. If you don't ask, you won't get a discount.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Cable is cheaper than a divorce lawyer.
Probably so. That's something I don't have to worry about.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #9

My MIL has Brighthouse in Spring Hill, FL, and we jokingly call it Dimbulb.
Slow, complicated to use, and frequent problems.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #10

My "free" tv is just not working out for me anymore. My antenna is only picking up 5 stations unless I move it to get 4 diff stations and lose the picture on the first batch. I'm ready to sign up for cable (FIOS actually) for the first time in my life but you guys have me scared.
They are advertising 99.00 for phone/internet/tv.Add the taxes they don't mention and it will be about $40 more then I am paying for now-phone and internet. Worth it I guess for the aggravation relief .
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
My "free" tv is just not working out for me anymore. My antenna is only picking up 5 stations unless I move it to get 4 diff stations and lose the picture on the first batch.
could you have two antennas?

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #12

Two antennas? I don't think so. I think I only have one connection outlet.
I am going to put a second tv in the living room downstairs anyway and I'm pretty sure the reception is even worse down there.
I don't know why I put this rant in the thread that is saying how to save money, sorry for sidetrack.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #13

I was on Comcast the first 2 years we were here. I told them at the end of the contract that we would be moving to someone else if their prices (which had just jumped again) weren't lowered. We went to Directv. When cancelling....Comcast THEN offered a lower rate. Too late. I knew at the end of this 2 years that it will be the end of cable for us. I only want to pay for what I use.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Dawg52,
I'm doing the same thing. My cable TV bill slowly ramped up from $75 to close to $125/month, and there wasn't that much to see.

I still buy internet access from the cable company, and it is working out very well.

The big downfall to this strategy:
I don't get ESPS or the local baseball games. I miss that. I listen to football and baseball on the radio while working in the garage or around the house. I'm more productive, and I think I like it better. A football game is about 50% commercials anyway.

Take care,

JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As my internet/cable bill moved up to $120. I started investigated options. I signed up for Direct TV, it would be cheaper for the first couple of years, but after that it would be a only slightly cheaper.

I called up the cable company told them "I am switching to Direct" viola my bill dropped to $95/month and they threw in a free on demand movie a month.

I had to call the cable company up a remind them about the free movie when they tried and charged me.

Interestingly enough the Direct TV was at Costco the last couple of months and when I told them my cable price, they said they could not help me. I said, oh but you already did "you saved me $25 me a month"
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My (broadband only) cable bill went from $50 to $55 p/month about a year ago. Not sure how much leverage I have with them.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
My (broadband only) cable bill went from $50 to $55 p/month about a year ago. Not sure how much leverage I have with them.
Keegs,
Mine is only $40/month, but I haven't looked for a while. It has probably jumped to $60 by now.

They kind of have me on this. It is really fast problem free service, and I like the wireless router/modem setup that communicates with my laptop and Blue Ray players.

I can save $10/month by buying my own modem, but if I have problems they can blame my modem, so I've hesitated on doing that. I think nice ones are about $100.

JP
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Keegs,
Mine is only $40/month, but I haven't looked for a while. It has probably jumped to $60 by now.

They kind of have me on this. It is really fast problem free service, and I like the wireless router/modem setup that communicates with my laptop and Blue Ray players.

I can save $10/month by buying my own modem, but if I have problems they can blame my modem, so I've hesitated on doing that. I think nice ones are about $100.

JP
Thanks JP... I'm getting about 15mbps with this cable and regarding service, they're much better than the local phone company. No Fios or other cable services in my area either and DSL is a bit slower, so this is the best bet I think.

I use internet access for the phone (Vonage) and I connected the TV to a small PC (running Windows Media Center) for streaming Charlie Rose, Comedy Central, Hulu and such.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Dawg52,
I'm doing the same thing. My cable TV bill slowly ramped up from $75 to close to $125/month, and there wasn't that much to see.

I still buy internet access from the cable company, and it is working out very well.

The big downfall to this strategy:
I don't get ESPS or the local baseball games. I miss that. I listen to football and baseball on the radio while working in the garage or around the house. I'm more productive, and I think I like it better. A football game is about 50% commercials anyway.

JP
That is the main downside. No ESPN or Golf Channel. Actually I won't be without cable totally. I'm planning on buying a condo around Orange Beach, AL soon and the condo fees include cable. It will just be when I'm home here in MS that I will be without cable. I certainly won't be able to justify cable living just part time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
I pretty much have to use cable broadband too as At&t's internet in my subdivision is slow. They only offer the slower version here. But if I end up spending the majority of my time on the coast, I may just opt for the cheapest and slowest service just to have something while I'm here.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #20

Keegs,
I just checked. My Comcast internet service is $40/month. This includes the taxes and fees.

JP