Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Over the last 2 days my girlfriend & I ate up all the caviar, 2 dozen fresh oysters and (2) 14 oz lobster tails. Washed it down with icy chilled vodka, a couple of absinthes, a few beers and a bottle of Rombauer chardonnay.

The tally came to $600. Not bad for a couple of "home cooked" meals eh?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
If retirees do not have enough money for travel for family visits (or basics like groceries, medical care, cancer treatments, housing, helping out family members, or hobbies, etc.) then they probably haven't reached their "certain point" part yet.

There's the oft debated and quoted $75K per year number to be happy. That is over twice the $31,742 the AARP says the average 65+ household income was in 2012, so the $75K number should leave some headroom for visiting the grandkids and other trips. I don't know if there is a universal number for happiness, but most research seems to show people get used to material possessions and at some point buying more and more consumer goods doesn't lead to greater and greater happiness.
We have had this discussion many times. Other studies have found that happiness continues to increase with wealth but at a much slower rate after the basics are covered. This has been my personal experience.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #63

For us, money is no longer important.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I just walk out my front door and pull the crab traps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schmidt sunrise.jpg (702.1 KB, 38 views)

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I too have been reluctant to spend, although I definitely can and should....I'm single, no kids, live in a low COL area, and have a pension that covers everything and retiree medical benefits....

Why can't I loosen the purse strings There's nothing I really want right now, that's part of it..

I used to lecture my frugal Mom about spending more of her money ( on herself) while she was alive.....but she did not....

I will NOT die with the crumbs of day old bread on my lips!!!!!!!!!!!

I just have to learn to spend more I guess!!!!!

I too want to die with .01 in the bank!!!!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Over the last 2 days my girlfriend & I ate up all the caviar, 2 dozen fresh oysters and (2) 14 oz lobster tails. Washed it down with icy chilled vodka, a couple of absinthes, a few beers and a bottle of Rombauer chardonnay.

The tally came to $600. Not bad for a couple of "home cooked" meals eh?
No, not bad at all.

But where's the Dom Perignon to wash the caviar down, followed by Louis XIII Cognac after dinner and a Cuban cigar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
I too have been reluctant to spend, although I definitely can and should....I'm single, no kids, live in a low COL area, and have a pension that covers everything and retiree medical benefits....

Why can't I loosen the purse strings There's nothing I really want right now, that's part of it..

I used to lecture my frugal Mom about spending more of her money ( on herself) while she was alive.....but she did not....

I will NOT die with the crumbs of day old bread on my lips!!!!!!!!!!!

I just have to learn to spend more I guess!!!!!

I too want to die with .01 in the bank!!!!
You should buy a big boat, or a 2nd home. These will manage to spend the money for you.

My 2nd home is also giving me a workout, redoing my deck. Yes, I am still working on it, and only about 1/3 done. But these top-grade Trex boards turn out so nice, who needs stinkin' real wood that still rotted, splintered, cracked, and shrank despite the annual staining?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
I just walk out my front door and pull the crab traps.
Nice!

For a long time, my dream was to get a waterfront home on the Puget Sound, preferably on Bainbridge Island facing Seattle across the water. It is so that I could row my canoe out to check my crab trap, and haul it in for dinner. Dungeness crab is sooo good.

And on a cloudy, rainy, and cold day, I would stay inside drinking coffee laced with rum, watching the ferry carrying the poor workers to/from Seattle.

Yes, money can buy a bit more happiness, I think. Or not. I need another $1M to find out. Oh wait. After paying for such home, I would need another $1M or perhaps more in order to generate the WR to sustain such house.

OK, enough of this dreaming non-sense. Back to the deck building.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

If saving a surplus grants you peace of mind that you wouldn't have without the surplus, it is not "too much" but rather is just right.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
... 10 years into retirement, I figure we can spend even more. Not sure what though, other than gifting. Still working on it however, new boat, expensive sporty car, expensive first class trips with family or friends? I don't know. Boy life is good!!
Here you go: Falkland Islands & South Georgia Tour | National Geographic Expeditions

DW has this one on her list--although we won't be in a position to take family and friends!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If retirees do not have enough money for travel for family visits (or basics like groceries, medical care, cancer treatments, housing, helping out family members, or hobbies, etc.) then they probably haven't reached their "certain point" part yet.
Just curious, how go you budget for cancer treatments?
As someone who has been touched with the big "C" I couldn't possibly see how that could be budgeted for or considered "basics". My brush with cancer cost just under $500K from diagnoses through treatment. If it weren't for insurance I have no clue how it would have been paid for.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Just curious, how go you budget for cancer treatments?
As someone who has been touched with the big "C" I couldn't possibly see how that could be budgeted for or considered "basics". My brush with cancer cost just under $500K from diagnoses through treatment. If it weren't for insurance I have no clue how it would have been paid for.
Okay, then if you want a more detailed answer insurance premiums, co-pays, out of network charges, medical travel and deductibles needed for cancer treatments and disability insurance premiums if still working. We have a family member needing surgery this year (not cancer related but still a big expense) and I've budgeted an extra $10K in related expenses over and above insurance premiums.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nice!

For a long time, my dream was to get a waterfront home on the Puget Sound, preferably on Bainbridge Island facing Seattle across the water. It is so that I could row my canoe out to check my crab trap, and haul it in for dinner. Dungeness crab is sooo good.

And on a cloudy, rainy, and cold day, I would stay inside drinking coffee laced with rum, watching the ferry carrying the poor workers to/from Seattle.
You've got the Dungeness, I'll bring the Blue and we'll meet in Kansas City for some BBQ. Wishful thinking. Oh well. For some reason houses on the Chesapeake Bay (well, actually the Potomac River) can be less expensive than one would think. I am actually surprised my house isn't worth double. Great when I bought. Not so great when I sell.

I decided on two more years so I'm not into my SWR yet. We are starting on the declutter stage so anything material we would buy would defeat that purpose.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Here you go: Falkland Islands & South Georgia Tour | National Geographic Expeditions

DW has this one on her list--although we won't be in a position to take family and friends!
Thanks, been to the Falklands , OK An Antarctic cruise is on our list. But family issues will keep us close to home for a while.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Okay, then if you want a more detailed answer insurance premiums, co-pays, out of network charges, medical travel and deductibles needed for cancer treatments and disability insurance premiums if still working. We have a family member needing surgery this year (not cancer related but still a big expense) and I've budgeted an extra $10K in related expenses over and above insurance premiums.
Got it, makes sense now.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Open up a restaurant seems to be the most popular way of taking care of your problem. I recommend a pizza place.

Retired July '11 investments 60/40 in very low cost index and mutual funds, balance once a year at best.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Didn't you own an airplane at one time? That, my friend, is NOT a necessary expense!

I know...I owned one. It was one of the funnest things money could buy (that's legal) but yeah, it could never be considered frugal!

Well, maybe not strictly frugal, but it wasn't always a rich man's game either. (And I think Walt34 and I talked about that awhile back.) This got me wondering so I looked at what I paid for my first airplane - adjusted for inflation to date. Comes out to $13,572 or about half the price of a new Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yes, I did own a Piper Tri-Pacer for a couple of years. Took every spare nickel I had to run but it sure was fun!

Ask pilots who fly both R/C and full-size and most will say that R/C is every bit as challenging, if not more so, than full-size....

I've never flown R/C but I've always wondered if that's not the case. Having to flip your brain a 180 every time your craft is flying toward rather than away from you can't be all that intuitive. One advantage though - the penalty for a major error in judgement is a lot easier to live with.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
The caviar order gave me pause.

I really miss big Chesapeake Bay hard shell crabs. There's a place in MD that ships them FedEx and about twice a year I go as far as filling in the online order form, but when the shipping charge of $75 or so shows up, I don't place the order because it seems like too much $$. But it's actually cheaper than going out to a nice restaurant, so there's really no good reason not to do it. Resolution made - when we get back from our upcoming RV trip, we're having a crab feast!

Thanks, RobbieB!

How much do the crabs run? I'm finding it impossible to convince DW it's ok to pay $100/dz for jumbos instead of $25/dz for #1 males. We don't have to pay for shipping!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #78

Bummer dude.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #79
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post

These National Geographic trips are definitely on my bucket list for when we save way too much and have to blow through some money. Don't think it will happen, but I still dream about it.

Same with Viking River cruises.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #80

I've got 3 dozen of these clams arriving tomorrow for some steamers with crusty bread!