Join Early Retirement Today

Saving too Much
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saving too Much

Well, I guess we officially have a problem a this forum.

"The people who are most effective for saving for retirement — who live frugally and manage to save a big piece of their income — get that so ingrained into their behaviors that by the time they retire with their healthy nest egg, they can’t turn the switch,” said Kitces. “They end up underspending that dollar amount all through their retirement, compounding growth takes hold, the wealth starts to build up, and they die with much, much larger nest eggs and find out that not only could they have spent more in retirement, but they could have spent more during their accumulation years.”"

How saving too much can make your retirement less satisfying - MarketWatch
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup. I'm making more dough than I can spend just sitting here on my butt eating caviar and drinking champagne.

I'm upgrading the caviar to the $100/oz stuff.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Such a problem is easier to fix than the opposite savings situation.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

Anecdotally I would say people around here support this idea as many have stated they retired at 3-4% and now have much more than they started with, some taking out less than 2% a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Most of these articles imply that spending more money equals more retirement happiness, but the topic is certainly debatable, especially after a certain point. I don't think Bill Gates would be any happier spending more money on himself than he already does.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the issue is great savers are good at deferred gratification. Some are so good, they defer it beyond the grave.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Another point to think about is in order to grow your next egg to support a 2% withdrawal rate as compared to 3% or 4% may involve working 5 to 10 years longer. If you enjoy working, that is not so much an issue, but you do give up a significant portion your retirement. (Duration)
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
Another point to think about is in order to grow your next egg to support a 2% withdrawal rate as compared to 3% or 4% may involve working 5 to 10 years longer. If you enjoy working, that is not so much an issue, but you do give up a significant portion your retirement. (Duration)
+1 Exactly!

I couldn't do 10 more years of time to get to a "really safe" SWR, whatever that is, so I bailed at a "hopefully safe enough" SWR.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On average, however, this 4% rule is overly cautious — a “safe” rate of withdrawal is closer to 6%. This also happens to be in the best interest of the financial adviser, who oversees a portfolio that will not just serve the client, but ensure that there is a big sum of money to be managed by the estate, keeping the advisory fees rolling on in perpetuity.
6%? There is NO way I could ever see myself allowing a 6% draw, and that's with me having a good pension that more than covers our expenses!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
6%? There is NO way I could ever see myself allowing a 6% draw, and that's with me having a good pension that more than covers our expenses!
6% is mighty fine if you retire at 67
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #11

Somebody once said.......You can never be too thin and never have too much money.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Somebody once said.......You can never be too thin and never have too much money.
"A woman can never be too rich or too thin", is attributed to Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor, who was certainly very thin and very rich.

I have no argument with this sentiment. Most of us will have to be happy with the thin ones, the rich ones are usually surrounded by barbed wire

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
"A woman can never be too rich or too thin", is attributed to Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor, who was certainly very thin and very rich.

I have no argument with this sentiment. Most of us will have to be happy with the thin ones, the rich ones are usually surrounded by barbed wire

Ha
I like the way you express yourself.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #14

I think there may be quite a few on this site that have over saved or are now underspending. Hard to change after a while. Our heirs will thank us.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Order placed;

1 Russian Osetra Caviar Karat 3.5 oz (100g) $255.00
1 Mother of Pearl Caviar Spoon - Small
1 Paddlefish Caviar Metal Tin 4.4 oz (125g) $89.00
1 CREME FRAiCHE 8oz (227g) $5.99
1 Premium Norwegian Smoked Salmon 4 oz (113g) $11.25
Subtotal: $361.24
Discount: -$10.62
Shipping: FedEx Standard Overnight

Ha, burned another $350 -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm one of those ending up deferring my retirement by five years which I forecast will decrease my WR from 4% to 2.6%. It just gives a bit more flexibility if the missus' half of the nest egg doesn't play out as planned.
If we both meet our targets, I'm pretty sure we'll easily be able to ramp up our spend with our travel as we likely will place more value on comfort as the years go by. I don't suspect we'll come close to burning through our nest egg but it does give a level of comfort around the question of longevity and I also don't mind leaving a legacy.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

This recent thread,

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...lio-82593.html

is quite similar and may be of interest to those who are interested in the present thread. It links to Kitces's blog article directly, instead of through Marketwatch.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Nuts, 6%, I should have retired years ago

More seriously, looking at the original Kitches article, it looks like 6% is AVERAGE historic SWR, as opposed to 4%, essentially worst case historic (assuming 30 yr retirement). Actually, I'm a big fan of his articles, especially sequence of return, but folks need to be careful not to misread or oversimplify.

In the end, I'm not too concerned about average SWR. I'm more interested in avoiding a high likelihood to eating cat food after 20+ yrs...
Old 07-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I think there may be quite a few on this site that have over saved or are now underspending. Hard to change after a while. Our heirs will thank us.
I think that's the issue. Most retirees keep the same traits that got u to ER. If you're a normally frugal person that's how you'll be in retirement

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm still learning to give myself permission to spend on stuff that I can afford. Mostly with travel. Like - it's OK to spend up for stuff that will make a trip more convenient or comfortable or enjoyable.

In other words - it's not automatic.