Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

One can receive payments from a 401k without the 10% penalty if you are over 55 and have had a separation of service.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

My company provides 100% matching, up to 9%, and allows after tax contributions up to the IRS annual limit ($53K for 2015).

Old 12-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No restrictions at all as far as I am aware, on any of the types of IRA you mention. The more you convert in any given tax year the more tax you pay. It is the tax bands that cause folks to self limit what they convert.
I know you can convert money from tIRA to Roth IRA. Can you covert money from 401(k) directly to Roth IRA (without roll over to tIRA first)?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I know you can convert money from tIRA to Roth IRA. Can you covert money from 401(k) directly to Roth IRA (without roll over to tIRA first)?
No, I pretty sure you can't.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
One can receive payments from a 401k without the 10% penalty if you are over 55 and have had a separation of service.
If your plan allows it. Many do, but some do not so be sure to check if you are relying on this strategy.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I originally read this a few days ago, I thought this question was a retirement time bomb question... the tax trap at RMD time. With the availability of provision 72T, there is a way to access the tax deferred funds somewhat early.

I see my investments as one entity... not divided by goal. I've believed that some diversification in tax treatment of assets. Presently I have 1%/44%/55% roth/ira-401k/after tax. ok, a bit light on the roth, but ER will give me the opportunity to roll some over at relatively low tax rates.

One has to remember when counting the pennies you've saved in IRA/401k... it is not all yours. The government still has a tax interest in it. So don't count your pennies before they're taxed. But with some planning you may have some control on how that happens.

ER provides more options than for those who choose... or have to work until RMD time.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Yes -- I have done it before.

In the past this was prohibited, but the Pension Protection Act of 2006 reformed this. Here is an article that discusses this.

-gauss
Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Yes -- I have done it before.

In the past this was prohibited, but the Pension Protection Act of 2006 reformed this. Here is an article that discusses this.

-gauss
Interesting. Learn something new every day. I guess the real benefit is avoiding the pro-rata rule.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #49

Quote:
So don't count your pennies before they're taxed.
Is this a new retirement planning aphorism. Love it.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
When I originally read this a few days ago, I thought this question was a retirement time bomb question... the tax trap at RMD time. With the availability of provision 72T, there is a way to access the tax deferred funds somewhat early.
As an early retiree, I consider the 72T withdrawal process as a very last resort due to it's requirement to continue until 59 (~20 years for me). I suppose as I get closer to this age I will have less reservations about being locked in.

However another drawback of 72t is that you can't easily vary the withdrawal size on a yearly basis (set according to life expectancy). This may be an issue if you are managing income for various ACA subsidy thresholds.

This overall lack of flexibility is scary to me. Therefore I prefer to spend down taxable or use withdrawals of Roth contributions.

Quote:
I see my investments as one entity... not divided by goal. I've believed that some diversification in tax treatment of assets. Presently I have 1%/44%/55% roth/ira-401k/after tax. ok, a bit light on the roth, but ER will give me the opportunity to roll some over at relatively low tax rates.
I have a similar distribution with very low percentage in roth (never met income limits while working and didn't want to use conversions). However now that i'm fired, will definitely convert more IRA assets to roth.