Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
I am tired of looking at my accounts. I can't get to my milestone--almost there but not quite.
I got to my milestone but almost immediately started looking towards the next milestone. There is always another milestone ahead. You'll get there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am tired of looking at my accounts. I can't get to my milestone--almost there but not quite.
I am encountering that problem as of late, ever since I first considered an early retirement last month. Now, it's like waiting for water to boil.

I think it is far better to not to look at it (unless you want to make adjustments). Because of housing costs in our area (Cupertino, CA), my wife and I got a very late start on our 401K contributions. One month ago, I was surprised to find we had accumulated $550K, which isn't too bad considering I'm 49. Now it seems like it can't grow fast enough ... :sigh:

Old 05-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, between the 1.5% gift from my employer and payday today, I'm just over $80k in my 401(k). While it's not the bulk of our savings, I'm still excited because I've never had that much in my 401(k) before (last employer didn't match nearly as much and didn't have a safe harbor plan)

To celebrate I went pretty wild! I upped my after-tax 401(k) contrib a percent, dropped my pre-tax a percent, and upped my Roth 401(k) contrib a percent. Oh, and then I initiated a rollover from my solo 401(k) at Invesco AIM to my SEP at Vanguard. I am wild!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #44

I've been flirting with $200K for months now. All the while sticking in 18% of my salary. dang market...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
To celebrate I went pretty wild! I upped my after-tax 401(k) contrib a percent, dropped my pre-tax a percent, and upped my Roth 401(k) contrib a percent. Oh, and then I initiated a rollover from my solo 401(k) at Invesco AIM to my SEP at Vanguard. I am wild!
You risk taker, you!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I got to my milestone but almost immediately started looking towards the next milestone. There is always another milestone ahead. You'll get there.
Thank you for the encouragement! The day after you said that, I looked at my accounts and I had surpassed my milestone by about $1K.

I was afraid that buying the sushi for lunch that day and sending off money to my mom and my brother would make for a milestone shortfall.

But today, I am over my milestone by $3K.

I hear you, too, about milestones beyond milestones.

(There's a book title in there somewhere. How about "Milestones 'Til the Tombstone"? A better book might be a self-help one--"Get the Milestone Millstone Off Your Neck: Breaking the Portfolio-Checking Addiction".)
Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you for the encouragement! The day after you said that, I looked at my accounts and I had surpassed my milestone by about $1K.
That is TERRIFIC!! Congratulations on passing that milestone.

Quote:
I was afraid that buying the sushi for lunch that day and sending off money to my mom and my brother would make for a milestone shortfall.

But today, I am over my milestone by $3K.
Now that is even BETTER! <~~ (one for each $1K)

Quote:
I hear you, too, about milestones beyond milestones.

(There's a book title in there somewhere. How about "Milestones 'Til the Tombstone"? A better book might be a self-help one--"Get the Milestone Millstone Off Your Neck: Breaking the Portfolio-Checking Addiction".)

There's a really memorable Emerson quotation about such things. Memorable, but I forgot it. If I remember it I'll post it later on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
There's a really memorable Emerson quotation about such things. Memorable, but I forgot it. If I remember it I'll post it later on.
"Every end is prospective of some other end, which is also temporary; a round and final success nowhere." - - Ralph Waldo Emerson

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

At the end of each fiacal year I calculate NW. This year, it increased by <4% despite the fact that I work in a high paying job. It did break through the $2.5m mark, which I suppose is a milestone, but below my projection of $2.6m. However, since March 31 NW has increased by well over $100K and one particular portfolio has topped the $1m mark (another milestone). I use a spreadsheet to project NW over time and it's interesting to see the impact of FY2007-08's poor performance on projected long term growth. Had I RE'd in 2007, NW would have decreased significantly in Year 1, which would be quite disconcerting!

Let's hope volatility works both ways over time..........
Old 05-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you have more than you need to live the life you wish, does it really matter what "the number" is

I understand for those that have not reached "their goal", but sometimes the goal has been surpassed without understanding that you can enjoy your "effort".

Life is short. Enjoy it while you can..... (yes, I am )...

- Ron
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Ok. I had to go dig this thread up. 300k for the 2nd time.
Well, I'm still holding above 200k, barely. This is hard to take but I still have at least 12 more years until retirement while dumping in 25k yearly.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #52

I'm said in an earlier post in this thread that I now mark my net worth interval changes each $100K.

Well, I'm down over two intervals.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #53

I have enough left to buy a pineapple and two carrots.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I'm said in an earlier post in this thread that I now mark my net worth interval changes each $100K.

Well, I'm down over two intervals.
To tell the truth: I haven't been looking.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #55

I'm another that is not looking at retirement account balances. There is still a considerable amount of time before we can draw on them without penalty, so I would prefer to bury my head in the sand and worry about that another day.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #56

On 5/6/08, I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
LOL. I recently did the same thing at the 500K mark. Dropped below it around last December, rose above it again a couple weeks ago.
And looking at Quicken today, back down to $370K. Ouch.

Where's my bailout?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Instead of a milestone, I feel like I have a kidney stone.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:31 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
On 5/6/08, I wrote:

And looking at Quicken today, back down to $370K. Ouch.

Where's my bailout?
I've discontinued Quicken until this blows over
Old 10-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Well, I'm still holding above 200k, barely. This is hard to take but I still have at least 12 more years until retirement while dumping in 25k yearly.

How is everyone else doing?
what? you lost 100K in 4 months?!?!

that is scary :confused:
Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

From 5/8/08 (post #42):

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
One month ago, I was surprised to find we had accumulated $550K ...
This was for our 401(k)s. Heading into today, we are right at $550K. This means our 401(k) contributions and company matching were offset by our losses for the last 6 months (~$24K). Of course, our 401(k)s are 100% fixed income as of 4 months ago (30% Broad Market Bond, 30% D&C Income, 20% VG GMNA, 20% Stable Value).