Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am aware many here dislike or even hate annuities and will beat up my comments above. That's fine. This is America, people can disagree.
People 'beat up your comments' because your posts rarely if ever do more than scratch the surface. You always tell us you're too busy to add any substance, fair enough. But when someone tries to give another POV, you take that as getting 'beat up' - instead of providing a thoughtful rebuttal.

You've admitted you're an outlier, you have a high income relative to your spending - more than most members (congrats). And IIRC you've never owned equities or equity funds - so you may know the cons of equities much better than the pros, and therefore can't present a balanced view on equities. Longtime members have learned what your financial/investment philosophy is, and you're as entitled to it as anyone else is to theirs. But you have to realize that your POV, could be puzzling or worse to newbies, that's where I personally get concerned with some of your overly brief/too general posts.

Most people can't/don't LBYM to the extent you do, so they can't be as conservative investing as you are. History suggests inflation will ruin their chances. Again, congrats that it's an option for you.

My intent is not to beat up on you. FWIW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Didn't see anything new in the linked WSJ article. The analysis and proposal by W. Pfau has been discussed here before as well.
+1. A SPIA is one of my plan B options, presumably later in life depending on how our annuitization hurdle plays out. Hopefully that's not 'hating annuities.' And as another member noted, some annuities have inordinately high commissions and provide relatively poor value - arguably some annuity products are categorically bad.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have nothing against SPIAs, per se, but you are still taking market risk with one, just indirectly...
My major concern with standard SPIA's is inflation risk. Using an SPIA, especially if the rates are attractive at the time, when you're deep into retirement might be fine. But to rely on an SPIA early in retirement hoping that the real value of the payments doesn't erode too severely over the decades would be a concern for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
My major concern with standard SPIA's is inflation risk. Using an SPIA, especially if the rates are attractive at the time, when you're deep into retirement might be fine. But to rely on an SPIA early in retirement hoping that the real value of the payments doesn't erode too severely over the decades would be a concern for me.
+1

Even with inflation protection, one loses over long periods because taxes consume part of the inflation factor.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Annuities rank right up there with the "crunchy" cat food in my retirement plans, say around Plan F or so. Wade Pfau is too young to feel the way he does, IMHO.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Annuities rank right up there with the "crunchy" cat food in my retirement plans, say around Plan F or so.
I'm sorry, you gotta splain me that one. We feed our dog one of the top three, but it's still crunchy, and he likes loves it. Been a while since we've had a cat, but friends who do (including a couple vets) feed em crunchy cat food too.

Tyro
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Didn't see anything new in the linked WSJ article. The analysis and proposal by W. Pfau has been discussed here before as well.
I don't see anything new in W. Pfau's enthusiasm for annuities as I've always had a deferred annuity in my retirement portfolio. Even as I paid into 401ks etc I always planned to use a combination if annuities, SS, and rental income to fund my retirement.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
I'm sorry, you gotta splain me that one. We feed our dog one of the top three, but it's still crunchy, and he likes loves it. Been a while since we've had a cat, but friends who do (including a couple vets) feed em crunchy cat food too.
Keep in mind that she never disclosed whether moist/canned cat food was Plan E or Plan G...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Annuities rank right up there with the "crunchy" cat food in my retirement plans, say around Plan F or so. Wade Pfau is too young to feel the way he does, IMHO.
Dry cat food has no expiration date so buy now to beat inflation.
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyFault View Post
You could say the same for Twinkies, though I suspect "buy and hold" of Twinkies a year ago could be rather profitable.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #30

Um, no. I once tucked away some Twinkies in the back of my desk drawer for a hunger-emergency.

After about a year, Twinkies turn green and fuzzy.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post

Tyro
LOL, I mean ME eating the crunchy cat food! The cats and dogs like it just fine!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Actually, it does, but we do stock up when dog food goes on sale (up to that date).
However being her plan F, I'm not convinced that's what Sarahbear meant.

Tyro

Edit: Oopsus Crosspostus I've tried both (dry cat & dog foods), and I think I'd have to go with...

Tyro
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We feed our cat crunchy food. Am I supposed to feed him annuities now? Man, I'm getting confused.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
We feed our cat crunchy food. Am I supposed to feed him annuities now? Man, I'm getting confused.
Now that's funny
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now that's funny
+1 But must add, if you are feeding annuities to the cats, please feed annuity salesmen to the dogs!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....feed annuity salesmen to the dogs!
GREAT idea!!! It's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #37

Crunchy is fine with me.
DW buys those big 50 pound sacks of Hubby Chow and just pours some in my bowl, next to my beer stein. Saves so much time and effort!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Remember the risk of that Purina Diet.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #39

We will be well above 4% in our first years of retirement then will drop well below when some other income streams besides our investment portfolio become available.

I consistently fail to understand why people take 4% as 'though shalt never cross that line." Having a financial plan, knowing where your income is coming from and knowing how to adjust when needed is of far more interest to me than knowing that 4% might not be safe after all.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
We will be well above 4% in our first years of retirement then will drop well below when some other income streams besides our investment portfolio become available.

I consistently fail to understand why people take 4% as 'though shalt never cross that line." Having a financial plan, knowing where your income is coming from and knowing how to adjust when needed is of far more interest to me than knowing that 4% might not be safe after all.
+1 It is the "ultimate" WR (once SS, pensions, etc come on-line) that one should focus on. In many cases it will be higher prior to those sources coming on-line.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote