Sched D removed from TT 2014 Deluxe

My refund credit showed up on my cc today. :)

H&R Block is really taking advantage of the TT change. Good for them!

This is what free enterprise and capitalism are all about.

H&R Block sent me a solicitation/disk in the mail (I'd used them before, been using TT for the last 3 years).

- "Deluxe" and one state are free (incl 5 federal e-files, one state program and e-file). Deluxe does Sched D.

- "Premier" costs $24.95, all of the above plus Schedule C (for sole proprietors) and some help with real estate.

Right now I'm planning to go with H&R Block, despite the possible pain of re-learning how to make it do what I want. I liked it before (just as well as TT overall--some things better, some things not as much), they seem to want my business, and Intuit's present machinations (and the memory of their previous affronts to customers) make me feel okay about swapping. Even buying the disks at Staples, H&R Block's products tended to be about 25% less expensive for the stuff I needed (Schedules D and C, etc)

All this hassle can't be worth Vanguard's time. If H&R Block is smart, they'll 1) start calling the software TaxCut again instead of--whatever non-name they are using now and 2) They have some good salespeople approaching Vanguard, Fido, and others with a great offer for a tie-in with their product.

Has anyone started using the H&R Block software yet?

I downloaded TT Premier 2014 and imported last year's data, only to find that they make you use an online login to password-protect the tax return file.

IMO, this is at least as bad a change as the Schedule D shenanigans.

I may run both software and see what kind of results I get.

I can understand why they removed Sched C it was catching filers offguard and not the IRS. I believe people got tangled up with RE deductions and it cost folks audits and lots of money. A sibling of mine being one of them. Now there situation might be unique but some items should have been guided into a Sched E using the software and were not...

The reason for buying TT is to have it guide you through the data entry process. If their Sched C was not catching errors that IRS was then there is a program issue. This is a huge confidence in the product blow.

I would guess this has been mentioned here before, but there is another way to get TT for free (for some).

If you buy it from Amazon, and if you have a refund coming, you can take part of your refund as a 10% bonus.

For example, say you have a $1,000 refund coming. You take $750 of it as an Amazon gift card, and they will make the gift card $825 instead of the $750. So you get $75 for free.

For anyone with a good sized refund who does a lot of Amazon shopping, this can easily make the TT cost a non-issue.

Never stopped using it.

It really is not that different from TT, just less cluttered. You can go thru an interview or just fill in the forms. If you try to change a field that comes from a separate form - it warns you. It does an audit at the end to let you know what you missed. It gives you advice about what you can do next year to reduce your taxes. If you need to make estimated payments, it offers to calculate those for you.

It's amazingly less costly than TT and only comes in two flavors both of them full-featured (on-line or on your PC).

Jump in! The water's fine!!!

-- Rita

Got my Turbotax purchase refunded today from Intuit. I didn't even have to request it :D

Nothing like a mass threat of boycotting to may a company beg forgiveness. Hmmm.. maybe I will use Turbotax again next year :LOL:

It will be interesting to see how TT markets/packages/prices their different versions next year. I wonder if the folks who came up with this year's strategy will be around to give input next year? :)

My guess is that we face the same issue a year from now. They ain't the brightest bunch there and seem determined to extract more $ from users.

I'll play it by ear. While I would prefer to stay with TT for convenience sake, if they keep jerking us around I'll bolt.

I totally agree. This is not them capitulating. This is just damage control for the rollout. Next year it'll be gone again.

My guess is that we face the same issue a year from now. They ain't the brightest bunch there and seem determined to extract more $ from users.

I'll play it by ear. While I would prefer to stay with TT for convenience sake, if they keep jerking us around I'll bolt.

I doubt they are going to go back to where they were.... this was a decision they made knowing they would lose customers....

Remember when a number of people here were complaining about Netflix splitting their mailing and online services:confused: Look at them now.... doing way much better than before....

As long as Vanguard has it free or cheaper than the alternative, I will be using TT... when it become more expensive.... I will change... Prior to me getting the great deal from Vanguard I was using H&R Block as it was the best software for the money.... that is the bottom line to me....

Well, in December, I just went ahead and bought the HR Block deluxe without state on Amazon. It wasn't that expensive and so far it is easy to use. I had used HR Block some years ago (back when it got mailed to me free on CD), then switched to TT one year. I liked it OK, but so far HR Block seems easy to use. And, I'm just done with TT and, frankly, with Quicken also. I had been on the fence whether to upgrade Quicken. So, I'm now using YNAB only (I had been using both YNAB and Quicken) and using HR Block and won't go back to TT or Quicken. They just burned bridges with me.

It will be interesting to see how TT markets/packages/prices their different versions next year. I wonder if the folks who came up with this year's strategy will be around to give input next year? :)
My guess is they won't back down and their tax SW revenue for the two year period will grow faster than the industry average. They have acted badly in the past and it doesn't seem to have hampered their sales much.

Well, in December, I just went ahead and bought the HR Block deluxe without state on Amazon. It wasn't that expensive and so far it is easy to use. I had used HR Block some years ago (back when it got mailed to me free on CD), then switched to TT one year. I liked it OK, but so far HR Block seems easy to use. And, I'm just done with TT .

Same here. I used H&R, changed to TT, and now that I got my $9.99 TT refunded I'll try H&R this year and see.

My guess is they won't back down and their tax SW revenue for the two year period will grow faster than the industry average. They have acted badly in the past and it doesn't seem to have hampered their sales much.

Same here. I used H&R, changed to TT, and now that I got my $9.99 TT refunded I'll try H&R this year and see.

I think you are right Michael. I suspect they'll end up with more revenue. Over the decades I've tried all of them, and eventually settled on TT as being the best for me. The extra $10 or $15 is annoyance but not worth the switching cost. Thanks to this thread it looks like I can buy premier for $35.

I'll grumble but I can hardly criticize a company, that I own a piece in for attempting to maximize profits. INTU is part of the S&P 500.

We've been using TT since at least 2004 (maybe longer, as 2004 was when I switched to Mac). But we file schedules C and D, so for us, the loss of the option to e-file those schedules from the deluxe edition was also the last straw. Since we are on Macs, I downloaded the Deluxe + State version of the H&R Block software. I was able to import my data from last year's TT file with no problems. Looks like I am set to get started on our taxes once we begin receiving our tax forms from 2014. It's the last year I'll have to wait around for W-2 forms, now that we're retired!

I downloaded TT Premier 2014 and imported last year's data, only to find that they make you use an online login to password-protect the tax return file.

Yes, I was surprised when I went to import last year's data from TT into H&R Block and the password request popped up. Of course I didn't remember it, but I tried a few oldies but goodies and on the third try I got it.

Yes, I was surprised when I went to import last year's data from TT into H&R Block and the password request popped up. Of course I didn't remember it, but I tried a few oldies but goodies and on the third try I got it.

I bought HRBlock deluxe (download version) and I didn't get asked for any password. Are you using the download version or an online version?

I bought HRBlock deluxe (download version) and I didn't get asked for any password. Are you using the download version or an online version?

I used the download versions of both TT (2013) and HRBlock deluxe (2014). TT must have had me set a password for my 2013 final return when I did it last year, but I didn't remember that. In order to import it into HRBlock, I had to enter that password.

I started receiving ads in my email from intuit, so I went for the e-stop. Sent the spam to abuse@ email address. Person responded with a professional response, and said I was removed from all marketing. I followed up with this response:

Thank you for taking care of this promptly. You may wish to pass along the following comments to someone in your company who might be interested.

I am very unhappy with how your company treats customers in general. I did not opt in to promotional advertising. To suddenly receive a stream of unwanted advertisements after purchasing your software is unacceptable. Please note that your ads did not have an unsubscribe link. A company of your size should respect purchasers of the software.

At this time I am simply tolerating your company, as I just started using the product a few years ago. Hopefully your company will not continue to drop features from the software, as recently done with the deluxe version. Hopefully your company will enhance the software for current users, rather than finding new ways to spam and disappoint us.

I thinking may switch to HRB this year ...the TT interface and repeated modifications over the years has become really irritating ...and this recent abuse of customers is pretty incredible.

I have a couple of rental properties and TT has been doing the depreciation work accurately ....when I convert the TT file from 2013 to the HRB code will there be any glitches? I do NOT want to return to paper in order to restart on HRB.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'll grumble but I can hardly criticize a company, that I own a piece in for attempting to maximize profits. INTU is part of the S&P 500.

Free enterprise at work. I was an HRB user until I got reduced cost TT from brokerage. But always preferred the HRB interview.

Has anyone transitioned from TT to HRB with rental properties? Only concern I have is depreciation conversion ...?

Same reason ice cream now comes in 1.5 quart tubs, instead of half a gallon. The manufacturers didn't want to increase the "customer's price point." :sick:

Amethyst

THIS has actually ruined many recipes this year. You know, those jello and ice cream molds? I was helping my sister make one this year, and she was complaining about it not turning out. We looked at each other and both had the "ah ha!" moment that it was due to the weasels making the containers smaller.

Back to topic... I was looking at my credit card and saw the 10.66 credit. I knew where to find the answer. Here. You guys are great. (It took no action on my part, I just automatically got the refund.)

I used HRB software many years ago during the macrovision/root hack that turbotax had on their CDs. I wasn't impressed. But that was nearly a decade ago, things can change. I might just try to give it a try this year if I can get a deal and compare both side by side.

Back
Top Bottom