Sched D removed from TT 2014 Deluxe

[-]I see Vanguard just posted the TurboTax prices for this year.
Flagship customers get the Premier version for $10. Otherwise $75 (ouch). Amazon price is $70
[/-]
Edit - Jumped the gun :facepalm:

Last edited:
The lack of interview doesn't bother me for Turbo Tax deluxe schedule D but the lack of being able to efile is an issue for me. It is a deal breaker issue for me. So, it is either upgrade to Premium or switch to H&R Block. I'm thinking I will switch. I don't need the Premium features at all and it irritates me to have to buy it. I used H&R Block some years ago and it was fine, so unless someone says the H&R Block software has some issues with it, I'm inclined to just go ahead and buy it instead of Turbo Tax (would get deluxe with no state).

$75 through Fidelity as well.

I'll be interested to see what Fidelity does for its Private Client folks. Last year they gave the TT Deluxe version free. This year, who knows?

If I switch to TaxAct, will TaxAct import info from last years TT?

I just checked and TaxAct says it can import if you have a PDF version from TT or HRBlock.

unless someone says the H&R Block software has some issues with it, I'm inclined to just go ahead and buy it instead of Turbo Tax (would get deluxe with no state).

I've used the Basic for years. Never had a problem and never had a schedule that wasn't included.

One reason I use the desktop version is after filing I use my return as a basis for modeling the next year. Our portfolio is all taxable, so alternate scenarios represent different amounts of capital gains. This is something I'd much rather do automatically than manually.

I'm not sure why they didn't just increase the price.

For the same reason ice cream no longer comes in a half gallon container. They believe people won't notice it's smaller (less useful, in TT's case) as easily as they would notice the price went up. Smoke and mirrors.

I use TT Home and Business anyway, so no big deal for me. But I can certainly understand the irritation. Some companies (Intuit and Netflix are good examples) must not have a Common Sense department, considering the ways they find to piss off their customers.

I see Vanguard just posted the TurboTax prices for this year.
Flagship customers get the Premier version for $10. Otherwise $75 (ouch). Amazon price is $70

Thanks for that info Michael!!

I got in touch with my Schwab rep and she said she could match the Vanguard offer by crediting my account at Schwab. I'm not surprised as I've had a couple of other issues where a "deal" was available from Fido or Vanguard and when I approached my rep at Schwab, she always did something to keep Schwab competitive, even on nickle and dime stuff life this.

I forwarded her the chart you posted showing the Permier $9.95 price for Flagship customers and mentioned the best retail price was $70 from Amazon. Hopefully, that will inspire her to credit my account for $60. I'll post results when she lets me know. It'll probably be Monday now.

Last edited:
I just checked and TaxAct says it can import if you have a PDF version from TT or HRBlock.

Thanks KM! If Schwab doesn't come through with cheap ($10) TT Premier for me, I'm definitely heading to TaxAct. I do have PDF versions of my taxes going back several years.

Are there different versions of TaxAct?

Also $70 at Costco for Premier.

We paid $40 last year at Amazon for the Deluxe version that did Schedule D and eFile (download version). It also had the promotional refund credit - 10% bonus for refund up to $2K to go to Amazon store credit.

What constitutes a Vanguard Flagship customer?

Hmmm - I guess we'll lean on Fidelity for a perk this year.

For the same reason ice cream no longer comes in a half gallon container. They believe people won't notice it's smaller (less useful, in TT's case) as easily as they would notice the price went up. Smoke and mirrors.

I use TT Home and Business anyway, so no big deal for me. But I can certainly understand the irritation. Some companies (Intuit and Netflix are good examples) must not have a Common Sense department, considering the ways they find to piss off their customers.

But people doing their own taxes with software are exactly the type of people to notice this shenanigan. And they did raise the discounted price of Deluxe $10 as far as I can tell.

If they had raised the price by $10 or so we probably would have bought it anyway. But the stealth price increase by removing functionality is very annoying so we may look for alternatives. We're on mac so either HR block or use a VM with windows for tax act (fyi in addition to parallels, virtual box is free).

Thanks KM! If Schwab doesn't come through with cheap ($10) TT Premier for me, I'm definitely heading to TaxAct. I do have PDF versions of my taxes going back several years.

Are there different versions of TaxAct?

Yes - there's a Free Federal (all done online), Deluxe Federal (software can be downloaded to computer) and then Ultimate Bundle (which includes one state). I file 1040, Schedules B, D, and E with the Deluxe Federal, but I am pretty sure I can file any and all other forms.

...but you can still get the walk through and Sch D in Premier, right? And file electronically?

On schedule D there is no way they can really ensure accuracy for stocks owned before 2011 or so since they don't necessarily have good basis information. Essentially if you look at form 8949 and check box B about all turbo tax can guarantee is that the math is ok.

On schedule D there is no way they can really ensure accuracy for stocks owned before 2011 or so since they don't necessarily have good basis information. Essentially if you look at form 8949 and check box B about all turbo tax can guarantee is that the math is ok.

The brokerage/institution provides that basis information. You have to work with your brokerage to make sure that info stays straight. Then electronically downloaded into Turbotax should be fine (although I always check against my 1099s).

I've been paying $10 for the Premium version all for a few years (as opposed to getting the free Deluxe version as Vanguard customer) because it was touted for dealing better with investments.

But yeah, it looks like a sleazy move.

They do offer a "free" online product, though I think you pay when you e-file. But like I suspect most people they don't want to upload their financial data to someone's servers.

I used the H&R Block (formerly Kiplinger) product for several years in protest of Intuit's price increases. Then made Vanguard Flagship status and have used TT Deluxe since then. We have an accountant doing our returns due to some complications from property my sister and I own (and wish we could get rid of) but I do my mother's returns (she died this year so this will be the last year for that) and like others have posted, I like to use the desktop version to do modeling when making financial decisions through the year. I dislike Intuit's business practices but it's a good product so I'm happy to have the VG discount.

You sure? I just logged on and see the same page but at the top in orange letters on a yellow background it says:

Coming soon: TurboTax for tax year 2014 will be available soon. Please return to this page at that time to take advantage of great discounts. The pricing information below is not reflective of 2014 pricing.

Looks like I may have to raid my loose change jar and scrape up $10 to get a Premier version via Vanguard :LOL:

I'm not daring enough to go with an alternative.

I've gone back and forth with the various products before consolidating enough assets with Vanguard to get Flagship status. I'll pay the $10 but it's a further reason for me to dislike Intuit. I use Quicken to track expenses but it has all sorts of errors in downloading Vanguard transactions particularly for CD purchases. I have to go in and edit every transaction. It also has trouble with money market transfers.

If I wasn't Flagship, I'd definitely not purchase Turbo Tax. Intuit believes that once they have you as a customer they can keep sticking it to you thinking you won't switch.

Does the H&R block software import your info from your brokerage website and populate sched D for you?

Yes, I've used it and it has. A caveat, though- check the download. I ended up with an expensive mess because the download from my Morgan Stanley account didn't pick everything up; may have been because of the merger with Smith Barney that year (I was a Smith Barney customer). I don't remember which software I used but I suspect the problem was at the brokerage. They reported the correct numbers to the IRS, though. :mad:

Thanks to the OP for the news on TurboTax. I won't be using it this year.

Back
Top Bottom