Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Thanks KM! If Schwab doesn't come through with cheap ($10) TT Premier for me, I'm definitely heading to TaxAct. I do have PDF versions of my taxes going back several years.

Are there different versions of TaxAct?
Yes - there's a Free Federal (all done online), Deluxe Federal (software can be downloaded to computer) and then Ultimate Bundle (which includes one state). I file 1040, Schedules B, D, and E with the Deluxe Federal, but I am pretty sure I can file any and all other forms.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

...but you can still get the walk through and Sch D in Premier, right? And file electronically?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On schedule D there is no way they can really ensure accuracy for stocks owned before 2011 or so since they don't necessarily have good basis information. Essentially if you look at form 8949 and check box B about all turbo tax can guarantee is that the math is ok.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
On schedule D there is no way they can really ensure accuracy for stocks owned before 2011 or so since they don't necessarily have good basis information. Essentially if you look at form 8949 and check box B about all turbo tax can guarantee is that the math is ok.
The brokerage/institution provides that basis information. You have to work with your brokerage to make sure that info stays straight. Then electronically downloaded into Turbotax should be fine (although I always check against my 1099s).
Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I've been paying $10 for the Premium version all for a few years (as opposed to getting the free Deluxe version as Vanguard customer) because it was touted for dealing better with investments.

But yeah, it looks like a sleazy move.

They do offer a "free" online product, though I think you pay when you e-file. But like I suspect most people they don't want to upload their financial data to someone's servers.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #46

I used the H&R Block (formerly Kiplinger) product for several years in protest of Intuit's price increases. Then made Vanguard Flagship status and have used TT Deluxe since then. We have an accountant doing our returns due to some complications from property my sister and I own (and wish we could get rid of) but I do my mother's returns (she died this year so this will be the last year for that) and like others have posted, I like to use the desktop version to do modeling when making financial decisions through the year. I dislike Intuit's business practices but it's a good product so I'm happy to have the VG discount.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I see Vanguard just posted the TurboTax prices for this year.
Flagship customers get the Premier version for $10. Otherwise $75 (ouch). Amazon price is $70

You sure? I just logged on and see the same page but at the top in orange letters on a yellow background it says:

Quote:
Coming soon: TurboTax for tax year 2014 will be available soon. Please return to this page at that time to take advantage of great discounts. The pricing information below is not reflective of 2014 pricing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Looks like I may have to raid my loose change jar and scrape up $10 to get a Premier version via Vanguard

I'm not daring enough to go with an alternative.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #49

I've gone back and forth with the various products before consolidating enough assets with Vanguard to get Flagship status. I'll pay the $10 but it's a further reason for me to dislike Intuit. I use Quicken to track expenses but it has all sorts of errors in downloading Vanguard transactions particularly for CD purchases. I have to go in and edit every transaction. It also has trouble with money market transfers.

If I wasn't Flagship, I'd definitely not purchase Turbo Tax. Intuit believes that once they have you as a customer they can keep sticking it to you thinking you won't switch.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does the H&R block software import your info from your brokerage website and populate sched D for you?
Yes, I've used it and it has. A caveat, though- check the download. I ended up with an expensive mess because the download from my Morgan Stanley account didn't pick everything up; may have been because of the merger with Smith Barney that year (I was a Smith Barney customer). I don't remember which software I used but I suspect the problem was at the brokerage. They reported the correct numbers to the IRS, though.

Thanks to the OP for the news on TurboTax. I won't be using it this year.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You sure? I just logged on and see the same page but at the top in orange letters on a yellow background it says:
I saw the same header you describe (checked, still there) but scrolled down and saw the price table anyway, and included a screenshot of it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

OK, so those are 2013 prices but probably indicative of 2014 prices. I wonder if the delay in TT being available through Vanguard has anything to do with this Schedule D debacle.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Back when Intuit treated everyone like software pirates and had that required software verification process, I thought about bailing and going to HR Block and went as far as trying out HR Block's software. My numbers ended up the same, but TT just seemed smoother to use and easier to understand. Of course, that was then and things may have changed since then.

I'm almost (I said almost, not will do) tempted to input my numbers to an alternative program just to compare with TT and see how that works for me.

With the uproar over at Amazon, I wonder if Intuit will eventually back off (if not this year, then next year) and make the Deluxe version the way we know it, or stick to their guns and and say "Take it or leave it." This could get interesting
Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Under the heading of what it is worth. I started using Quicken when it was in beta. Year by year they add "features" most of which are either a pia to use or don't quite work right. All of which includes price increases and complications. All I want is to be able to accurately download bank and financial info for review, that is simple. But in effect Intuit is the only game in town. Yes I know about Mint, etc., I have tried a number but at the end of the day, Intuit is the 1000 lb gorilla and acts like it. Sure wish we could get some free market competition.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
OK, so those are 2013 prices but probably indicative of 2014 prices. I wonder if the delay in TT being available through Vanguard has anything to do with this Schedule D debacle.
That was unexpected. When they first published that page the price table was all "TBA". Why they would then update it with 2013 prices is beyond me, but the table I posted is obviously not correct. Table deleted, still more ahead on this story
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I have been checking that page regularly as I am keen to download and get my numbers going (already in 2013 TT) and it is "early December". I never saw the table with the "TBA"s so it must have been at just a point in time... that and if I saw the yellow banner I just moved on.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Thanks KM! If Schwab doesn't come through with cheap ($10) TT Premier for me, I'm definitely heading to TaxAct. I do have PDF versions of my taxes going back several years.

Are there different versions of TaxAct?
Here's the website
https://www.taxact.com/index.asp

File free on-line
Download premier Federal version for $12.99
Premier Federal + State version is $17.99

That's it! No nickel and diming, it's a really nice product with no ads and no upsells (like TT). I've been using it for over 10 years.

Returning users get an offer mid-year to buy the next year's version. I paid $9.99 for the Premier Federal in August, with preview copy available late October. Credit Card won't be charged until December when they have the final out.

-- Rita
Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The brokerage/institution provides that basis information. You have to work with your brokerage to make sure that info stays straight. Then electronically downloaded into Turbotax should be fine (although I always check against my 1099s).
Worth re-emphasizing need to recheck tax basis and 1099's. Brokerage firms often do not have YOUR correct basis info, particularly for older issues. And remember to keep a sharp eye out for corrected 1099's which may be issued AFTER you've filed for that tax year
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The prices were not there 2 days ago. I have been watching. Most showed as TBD until yesterday when the prices appeared.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Huh...perhaps they are the 2014 prices and they forgot to remove the highlighted banner.