Sched D removed from TT 2014 Deluxe

If I didn't have a low price version of Premier in my hip pocket through Vanguard I would be calling them and pressing to sell me Premier for the $9.99 as advertised.

What a mess.

Ha. Sounds like all the people who worked on the CoveredCA site moved over to Intuit.

It's probably hard to find much good IT help anymore. They all FIRE'd and hang out on this board.

😎🌴

I had a little rootle around and found the 1994 CD for Taxcut; pretty sure it came on floppies at one point. It'll be pretty hard to get me to change to TT after all these years, but TA does appeal to my inner cheapskate! ;)

Don't know how long this will last, but if you don't happen to have $1M sitting in Vanguard Intuit appears to have a quick sale on TT Premier going on for a similar price. I bought a copy and it looks legit to me...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/persona...de=3468350682&cid=all_webops24_aff_3468350682

When I follow the link, Premier shows up as $89 for download copy. I bought at Costco last week for $69. Never seen Intuit offer a real deal online. Better than list but no deal.
Nwsteve

Just wondering, was anyone here able to actually buy it for $0.00 Deluxe or $9.99 Premium?

Just wondering, was anyone here able to actually buy it for $0.00 Deluxe or $9.99 Premium?

Yes, I got the deluxe for $0. Keep in mind this has been happening for at least the last 3 years that I know of and don't be surprised if this happens another 1-3 times during the tax season. I know last year, this happened at least one more time.

Yes, MichaelB got himself a free copy of Deluxe.
I didn't complete the checkout for the free copy, instead decided to wait for Vanguard. It was there, at $0.00 :)

Last edited:
I got it first think this morning (thanks slickdeal.net email alerts). I got the pc download of deluxe decided I wanted premier and downloaded that too. Installed premier and all works. Came here to post this deal but saw I'd been beaten to it. Must've just snuck in under the wire

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yep, I will use my Flagship freebe for the online version.

999tt.JPG

Last edited:
Couldn't you still use the TT Deluxe (download) version if your capital gains were reported on your 1099DIV (and only box 2A checked), and you have no other capital gains from sales?

(from the Vanguard attachment)

Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses)

You must report total capital gains (Box 2a) from
your taxable mutual fund accounts on Schedule
D of Form 1040, unless both of the following
exceptions apply:

1. The only amounts you have to report on Schedule D
are capital gains from Box 2a of your Forms 1099-DIV.

2. None of your Forms 1099-DIV have an amount in
Box 2b (Unrecaptured Section 1250 gain), Box 2c
(Section 1202 gain), and Box 2d (Collectibles [28%] gain).

If you aren’t required to file Schedule D, enter your
total capital gains (Box 2a) from all your taxable
investments on Line 13 of Form 1040 and check
the box on that line, or enter them on Line 10 of
Form 1040A. You also must complete the Qualified
Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet included
in the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions to determine
your tax due on these amounts.

Even more confusing is Vanguard's statement on their website (might be pertaining to 2013 version if this was last year's page just brought forward) -

†TurboTax Online users who are filing Schedules D or E are required to use TurboTax Premier. Users filing Schedules C or F must use TurboTax Home & Business. This applies to both TurboTax Online and Desktop products.

TT website also states that capital gains could be handled on CD/Download Basic and Deluxe versions -

Covers interest, dividends, capital gain and IRA distributions (Sch B)

This is off their comparison of CD/Download products, and appears to indicate they will address capital gains in Basic and Deluxe Versions......

Attachments

• 1099DIV How to report Dividends and Capital gains (Vanguard).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I think Deluxe will handle capital gain distributions (ie; if you don't have any sales).

I think Deluxe will handle capital gain distributions (ie; if you don't have any sales).

Actually I just checked the deluxe version and it has the capital gain worksheet that feeds into the various other forms, it asks all the questions, so unless you have a lot of transactions it will work. I suspect it does not have the import capability nor the ability to carry a loss forward. I believe the import capability might be the biggest loss but if you only do a few trades a year not a major issue.

I do not remember last year if I had to put in my sales.... but since the deluxe if free I can try that first and if I need to I can then buy the premium for the $10....

My concern is for RE... DW still is renting out her old place...

They just updated their website, raised the price of Deluxe back to $59.99. About a half hour ago I was able to get to the "checkout" phase with TT Deluxe for free. What a mess over there.

Wow - I was shocked to see the going prices for TT. I must be spoiled by my 10 years of <$20 for desktop installed TaxAct with Fed and State SW as well as a Fed e-file included.

I guess this is similar to paying retail rates for cell phone service when discounters such as PagePlus and Ting will do it for a small fraction of the price of the big guys.

I guess that advertising really does work.

-gauss

Wow! That is expensive. Even using Vanguard discount, I'd have to pay $74.99 for TT Premier to get Schedule D support. I've used H&R Block desktop software for the past 17 years (with the exception of 2005 when it wasn't available for mac) and have been very happy with it. Just downloaded H&R Deluxe for $39 to see how much Roth conversion I can afford before the end of the year deadline.

My one experience with TT in 2005 showed me there is essentially no difference in the two programs. I'll stick with the less expensive option and should really take a good look at TaxAct. Maybe next year.

Thank you all very much for this thread. I've used Turbotax for many years but their shenanigans this year is too much. I will try tax cut and see how it goes.

I've been watching the price of TaxCut on amazon for a week or so; every few hours, it drops a few cents. Today it dropped a couple of bucks, so I think I'm ready! :)

Thank you all very much for this thread. I've used Turbotax for many years but their shenanigans this year is too much. I will try tax cut and see how it goes.

Same here except I will wait till next yr to try Tax Cut et al since I already preemptively spent for TT Deluxe. Sometimes doing nothing and not trying to stay ahead of things is the best course.

Interesting thread! This year I think I am going to explore the Premier version of TT for the first time, more out of curiousity than desperation. Desperation might be the more sensible motivation but I haven't decided. :D

I love the way TT fills everything in from last year's forms, so despite my curiousity motivation I am not curious enough yet to try another brand of tax software.

I do like having the doggone CD in hand no matter the cost; this must be a solid indicator of being older than Methuselah. :wiseone:

Back
Top Bottom