Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll be getting the Premier version too since I will file a schedule D and do want to efile.

If I had to pay full price though, I'd definitely consider an alternative.

Oh yeah, I like having the program installed on my desktop too
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Interesting thread! This year I think I am going to explore the Premier version of TT for the first time, more out of curiousity than desperation. Desperation might be the more sensible motivation but I haven't decided.

I love the way TT fills everything in from last year's forms, so despite my curiousity motivation I am not curious enough yet to try another brand of tax software.

I do like having the doggone CD in hand no matter the cost; this must be a solid indicator of being older than Methuselah.

I have used TaxCut and H&R block... It was awhile back, but I think that H&R did bring in the last years info even with a different program... it is not like they do not know the extension of every tax program out there...

I have a few CDs in my desk... but the last couple of years have done the download to my computer.... as long as it does not blow up I am good... Just checked... have 4 years of programs on it and about to be the 5th....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
At least it worked that way last year. I confirmed with my rep we were doing some the same thing this year and got a bit of gobbly-gook, how she was pretty sure it would be approved but could not "guarantee".
I picked up my 2014 copy of Premier at Costco earlier this week and sent the receipt in yesterday, so should know soon.
Nwsteve
Update: Received credit from Fidelity for Premier in my Cash Reserves earlier this week. Rep apologized for the delay as she was out when I sent in the receipt. I believe I would have gotten credit for any version I wanted based on rep comment. Again this is for Private Client.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I just downloaded by TT Premier from Vanguard a few minutes ago. While it works out well and I am happy, I think it is absolutely shameful the way the Intuit screens try to lead you to 1) use the online versions rather than the download version and 2) sucker you into signing up for automatic annual updates.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Update: Received credit from Fidelity for Premier in my Cash Reserves earlier this week. Rep apologized for the delay as she was out when I sent in the receipt. I believe I would have gotten credit for any version I wanted based on rep comment. Again this is for Private Client.
Nwsteve
Thanks for the info. We'll go this route from now on.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #106
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I just downloaded by TT Premier from Vanguard a few minutes ago. While it works out well and I am happy, I think it is absolutely shameful the way the Intuit screens try to lead you to 1) use the online versions rather than the download version and 2) sucker you into signing up for automatic annual updates.
+1

I also downloaded the Premier version from Vanguard and had to be careful NOT to sign up for automatic annual renewal.

The desktop download is always hard to find and I recall last year having to ask you guys where to find it on the Vanguard screens.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I also downloaded the Premier version from Vanguard and had to be careful NOT to sign up for automatic annual renewal.

The desktop download is always hard to find and I recall last year having to ask you guys where to find it on the Vanguard screens.
+1

Intuit didn't make it easy, trying to force the auto renewal on us. Took me a few attempts before I found a workaround.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #108

Just took a look at my Fidelity account, they take you to turbotax.intuit.com site, where it shows deluxe at $19.99 and Premier at $34.99
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Just took a look at my Fidelity account, they take you to turbotax.intuit.com site, where it shows deluxe at $19.99 and Premier at $34.99
Anyone know if they give this to folks with 401k's through Fidelity? I don't see any links on my 401k Netbenefits site.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I saw that too, but the retail pricing crossed out matches 2013 retail prices, not 2014.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Well, I went and bought and downloaded the Deluxe version of H&R Block (no state). I'm done with TurboTax...just irritated by the removing functionality (yeah, I know the schedule is still there but the no efiling is dealbreaker). And, I don't need premier just because I have this one transaction that causes me to need to use that schedule. I won't need that schedule for next year (most likely) but I'm not planning to go back to Turbo Tax.

H&R Block imported the Turbo Tax info just fine. I had to put in the amounts, but the base information imported with no difficulty.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Intuit didn't make it easy, trying to force the auto renewal on us. Took me a few attempts before I found a workaround.
Gosh this is confusing. I finally navigated (I think) to download Premier, but the price doesn't show the VG discounted price but the full $89 price so I backed out .

Why intuit likes being cute to offend folks, I don't know

Update: Second time is the charm. I went back in and this time around, didn't get bounced around but instead got shaken down and coughed up $10.61 (9.99 + tax) for the Premier download. Don't ask me what I did differently than before trying to buy the software
Old 12-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Can you download TT premier to more than one computer for the quoted price? How many Fed submissions are allowed?

With the CD version it's five Fed submissions.

Also, FYI, when I emailed my Schwab rep and bitched that my Internet buddies using Fido and Vanguard were all getting their tax software for free or discounted, she told me she'd happily credit my account for whatever I pay for TT and to just email her the amount. Seems fair.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Can you download TT premier to more than one computer for the quoted price? How many Fed submissions are allowed?

Also, FYI, when I emailed my Schwab rep and bitched that my Internet buddies using Fido and Vanguard were all getting their tax software for free or discounted, she told me she'd happily credit my account for whatever I pay for TT and to just email her the amount. Seems fair.
With all the b*tching going on this year, I wonder if next year, Vanguard, Fido, Intuit will just decide to give Premier free next year. I can see the complaints using up the reps' valuable time crediting accounts. Or maybe they have nothing better to do anyhow
Old 12-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
With all the b*tching going on this year, I wonder if next year, Vanguard, Fido, Intuit will just decide to give Premier free next year. I can see the complaints using up the reps' valuable time crediting accounts. Or maybe they have nothing better to do anyhow
Yeah, could be....... My $70 (the Amazon price for TT Premier) already hit my account and I haven't even placed the order yet!

Schwab has been very sensitive to the competition the past few years.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

You know it's inevitable that they'll make TT "cloud" only, meaning no more desktop clients.

Adobe reported good quarter, higher number of subscriptions for their software, the so-called Creative Cloud. They do make the client software but it has to check over the Internet to verify you've paid up each month.

For performance reasons, they won't get rid of the client software, unless they hype cloud processing of all the filter effects.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #117
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

I can't remember if you can download it to multiple computers but you can make up to 5 Fed submissions from the downloaded version.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Well dirty secret, I install it on my iMac and just copy the .app on a flash drive for my father to use.

He can't e-file though.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
You know it's inevitable that they'll make TT "cloud" only, meaning no more desktop clients.

Adobe reported good quarter, higher number of subscriptions for their software, the so-called Creative Cloud. They do make the client software but it has to check over the Internet to verify you've paid up each month.

For performance reasons, they won't get rid of the client software, unless they hype cloud processing of all the filter effects.

Once that happens I will go back to Block... I only use TT now because of getting it free (well, this year $10).... but use it for three tax returns... the cloud version only give you one efile...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
We get our Turbo Tax from here. Much better deals. Download to desktop.

KingDeals4u
Sweet! Thanks so much. Saved $35 for H&B.