Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags - HBO documentary

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't know how many of you have HBO but did anybody watch it?

I thought it was a very well made documentary about the history of garment industry in NYC.

A new documentary about the disappearing New York City garment industry is slated to air on HBO on October 19. “Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags” follows the industries beginnings in the 19th century to the 1950s when New York became a fashion capital of the world. It also profiles how unions helped garment workers earn a better standard of living. It culminates in the last two decades which has seen garment makers shutting down New York factories and moving the jobs overseas. The film was created by director and New Yorker Marc Levin.

Today, 95 percent of the clothing sold in the United States is made outside this country.

HBO: Schmatta: Rags To Riches To Rags

I have a friend that used to work on 7th Avenue for a children's clothing manufacturer. She was a fabric artist and very talented. Her company closed and she now does administrative tasks for a brokerage in FL. So many industries lost for us to have cheaply made(but not cheap)garments.

Back
Top Bottom