Schwab (and others) 1099 corrections

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Has anyone ever seen a corrected 1099 come out after 3/15 from Schwab or anyone? I need to amend my return and I'm trying to decide how soon to do so. One year I got a corrected 1099 from Schwab but I think is was before 3/15 which I believe is the deadline for certain entities to report final numbers.

Note, the amendment that I already have will generate a refund so I'd like to file asap, but I certainly don't want to file again.

We got a corrected one from Schwab last week.

Sure. Owning multiple REITs seemed to be an excellent way to receive amended 1099s. Sometimes Schwab would send several in one year, once after 4/15, as the REITs kept updating their tax treatments.

Second revision. Mine were corrected with new dividend info. My K-1's report separately. Luckily I never finish my taxes until end of March for all these reasons.

it happens. Schwab is not the only place you can get them.

We just filed, so any day I'll get a changed 1099

I did have a REIT, so I guess I’ll wait until at least 4/15 and then amend. Thanks.

it happens. Schwab is not the only place you can get them.

We just filed, so any day I'll get a changed 1099

Yes, the title of the thread is misleading, IMO. It's not about Schwab, it's about corrected 1099's in general.

Does Schwab have a reputation for sending more corrections than the other big financial houses?

-ERD50

Yes, the title of the thread is misleading, IMO. It's not about Schwab, it's about corrected 1099's in general.

Does Schwab have a reputation for sending more corrections than the other big financial houses?

-ERD50

Sorry. Schwab is the only one that ever sent a corrected 1099 to me. However it seems, from reading this thread, that that’s because Schwab is the only broker where I had a REIT.

I’ve had corrected 1099’s from Fidelity 3 times. Twice they involved K-1’s and once a simple mutual fund distribution.

Edit to add - I changed the thread title to include 1099 corrections in general.

Last edited:

-ERD50
Nope, tax reporting is a great big PIA for the financial services industry.

Just received a corrected 1099-R from Vanguard today after they screwed up a distribution code for a dividend payment. So glad I haven't submitted my return yet.

Schwab Revised 1099's

Received 3rd revision to Schwab 1099.....last year had 4. Biggest change is revisions from Ordinary Divs to Non-Div distributions. Each change is lesser $ amount, hence when the change is single digits, its time to file.

Had a corrected 1099 last year from VG. Just checked VG for one as the Enrolled Agent I use for taxes just called to say this year's is ready to file. Thankfully, there is not a correction so I hope I'm good.

I believe corrected 1099 are fairly common. Especially if owning "income" generating securities and funds when there is late re-characterization of distributions between qualified, non-qualified, ROC and other categories.

You can file multiple amended returns if needed, though it can be tricky with Turbotax. I once filed in early April only to received a corrected 1099 just before the 15th. Got my amended returned filed by late April and thought I was done. Only to then receive another corrected 1099 in late summer, requiring a second corrected return to be filed. In each case the amounts were for a few dollars, so the effort involved was more costly than the refund received.

Just got a notice today from Schwab for a second corrected 1099. Ugh. Fortunately our accountant isn't finished with our return.

Back
Top Bottom