Score One for Suze Orman

Dog

Full time employment: Posting here.
Okay - I occasionally watch the SO show for entertainment value :D
DH can't stand the women and makes me change the channel.

DH and I have one grown daughter (just turned 25). We adore her, but we are also realistic about her strengths and weaknesses. We have mentally perpared ourselves for having to support her again sometime in the future (just not sure if she ever listened or learned from our LBYMs lifestyle). We were thrilled when she finally got a job with healthcare insurance!

Anyway, maybe she didn't listen to us, but she sure listens to Suze. She watches her show and has read several of her books. She cleaned up her credit, created a budget, got pre-approved for a mortgage and is now just waiting for the paperwork to close on a townhome outside of Portland, Oregon (will be relocating from Washington to Oregon this month). She did everything on her own - kept us updated, but never asked for any help.

Last week she came by the house to pick up a package. It was something she bought from Suze Orman called the Ultimate Protection Portfolio. A water resistant case with CDs, folders, forms etc. for organizing all your records in one spot. If she follows through on completing the package, she will be more organized and prepared then DH and I.

So, I have a kinder view of Ms. Orman now.

A friend of mine who never saved for retirement took Orman to heart and she started contributing to an IRA. She also took a second job to pay off her debt. So I say good for Suze.

A friend of mine who never saved for retirement took Orman to heart and she started contributing to an IRA. She also took a second job to pay off her debt. So I say good for Suze.

I went to a Suze Orman presentaion with a friend from the forum. Orman was a very good speaker, and judging from the audience reception her message got through well.

I give her 5 stars. Maybe not for the types on this board, but for the other 95% of Americans.

Ha

I went to a Suze Orman presentaion with a friend from the forum. Orman was a very good speaker, and judging from the audience reception her message got through well.

I give her 5 stars. Maybe not for the types on this board, but for the other 95% of Americans.

Ha

I agree. Anyone who gets people to hear the message and act is serving a useful purpose. Whatever it takes.....

Ha

Well said.

Suze does a good job of 'connecting' with the people who need her message the most. I think she understands that exactly. She's good at it, and has the NW to prove it.

If she were to sit around a table of the most analytical members of this forum, and was told up-front what the make up of that group was, I would not be surprised if she could hold her own.

Other than the hypocrisy in that car lease (loan?) commercial she did, I don't think too many here really fault her advice. Maybe consider it simplistic, but not bad, not shark bait or dangerous or anything. Unlike many of the popular 'advisors'.

Pretty cynical group, I think that says a lot.

-ERD50

Several years ago I saw her show a few times, then got a hold of a couple of her books to read. As one who was eyeball deep in CC debt, and had preformed some financially stupid things, what I heard and read set me on the right path! Once I got through the basics, and got ALL of the CC debt paid off....in full...in a relatively short period of time, got started on getting my estate set in order, set up a Roth IRA, and other stuff like that, then I got a hold of things like "The Four Pillars", "A Random Walk Down Wall Street", and one of my favorites "The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need" by Andrew Tobias.

She does the basics very well, and is a great starting point for the 'financially challenged' as well as young'uns just beginning their walk into the real world.

Suze Orman is approachable. My 80 year old mother listens to her. If this is what it takes to make my 80 year old mother somewhat financially literate, it's great to me.

Suze's advice is usually solid, and given the audience she's trying to reach, rather basic ... but i find it painful to listen to her.

Dog, you must be so proud of your daughter--finances under control, buying her own place. That is great!

Agree that Suze makes people believe in their own ability to tackle their finances--my clueless DH will sometimes quote something she said that he read in the paper, and if it gets through to him, she is doing a great job!

While I don't care for either Suze or Dave and don't always agree with their advice (plus can't stand their style), they offer better alternatives to being wasteful and going into bankruptcy. In the Rich Dad thread, someone said that hearing him speak started them into financial awareness so I have to give Kiyosaki some credit.

I like both Suze and Dave. Both preach debt management which a great deal of people don't seem to understand. After you get past that I turn my mind off knowing most of it borders on bs.

I have to admit, I quickly move to the next channel whenever I see her. But, if she is getting the message across to the ones that need it, more power to her.

Suze's advice is usually solid, and given the audience she's trying to reach, rather basic ... but i find it painful to listen to her.

Amen to that! A number of years ago I checked out one of her books on tape from the library to listen to on a long drive. I couldn't fault the advice but also found her painful to listen to.

Someone else mentioned the ad from a few years ago (for Chevy, I think.) IIRC, she was pitching their 0% financing as a good deal. Whether it was or not, I thought that compromised her position as a financial guru since she was obviously getting paid for the endorsement.

But, on balance, if it works....

Dog, congrats on your daughter's success with Suze's advice. It's great that she found this when she is still in her 20's.

My girlfriend and her husband are 49 and 56. They have been struggling with debt for their entire married life, oscillating between feeling flush with a new job and buying a fancy new car, and then a few months later the payments and some minor emergency hit and they struggle to even put food on the table.

Girlfriend and husband saw a presentation of Dave Ramsey's method and, thankfully, it really resonated with them. They used their stimulus check to achieve Step 1 ($1,000 emergency fund) and now they are working on Step 2 (debt snowball) with a vengence. I sure hope they can stick with this. The very likely alternative is that they will work until they are disabled and then lose their house when their small social security checks cannot cover the payments.

I pretty much ignore Suze and Dave, but I appreciate that they provide good, sound advice that resonates with many people.

--Linney

I saw this and it made me giggle.

suzeorman.jpg

Hey I was just making an innocent comment. Leave it to you guys to run with it..

Back
Top Bottom