Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Of course, that's what it means to be a lesbian.

Ha
Hey hey.....can I watch?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey I was just making an innocent comment. Leave it to you guys to run with it..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hey I was just making an innocent comment. Leave it to you guys to run with it..
Hey, you can always count on the home team.

Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I have to give Kiyosaki some credit.
okay, but do be sure to increase your reserve for bad debt.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Hey, you can always count on the home team.

Ha
I know. Had to wipe a tear from my eye. You guys make me proud.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Why do you guys always have to turn everything into a discussion about sex?

Its disgusting. Revolting.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

I wonder if the beer can lady gives financial advice? - although Foster's was never high on my list - sort of like load funds with no other option available.

- maybe the Lady's have trouble picturing Dave as a male stripper.

heh heh heh - actually this crop of advisors weren't around when I got the frugal bug - or I didn't notice back then (1960's).
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Alright boys--must be desperate for entertainment if you are imagining Suze Orman naked, but whatever.

We took some young folks to see Dave Ramsey when he came to town a few weeks ago, and as others have said, his advice is not for the folks on this board, but it is where some of us started. It was a great program, inspiring and upbeat, and I saw a lot of enthused faces in the (huge) crowd.
I have no problem with folks getting the "be smart with money" info from Dave or from Suze. Much of our path to FIRE is paved with advice from Dave--and I did get a huge amount of satisfaction from yelling we're debt free on his radio program when we paid off the house!
Suze is nerve-wracking to listen to, no dispute with that!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I've watched parts of Suze Orman's show a few times although probably not within the last year. I admit that it can be self-satisfying to hear people call in with self-induced financial problems that I do not have. It gives me an opportunity to feel smug about my own LBYM lifestyle.

Orman's advice on personal financial management (e.g., get out of credit card debt) is undoubtedly valuable to certain people. If it can help people stabilize their own financial situation, then this is good. Orman also appears to be adept at helping people realize what they can and cannot afford ("Suze, I net $1500/month at my job. Can I afford a $2500/month mortgage payment?").

That said, Orman's investment advice is abysmal. For example, she doesn't emphasize a well-diversified portfolio but instead encourages specific asset classes (e.g., she told people not to buy bonds when in fact bonds turned out to be good investments). She insists (no exceptions) that it's a bad idea not to pay off a mortgage if one has the means to do so. This sort of dogmatism is bad advice. I can easily beat my 3% tax-adjusted mortgage rate with relatively safe investments.

Personally, I dislike Orman because she is extremely sexist. For example, she constantly refers to women callers as "girlfriend." A man in her position could not get away with this, and he would be called on it. In fact, he likely would no longer have a job. Admittedly, I've heard her call men "boyfriend." If Orman called me "boyfriend," I would "pop her in the nose." If you're offended at my comment, you should be. But the "pop in the nose" comment is exactly what she told a woman caller to do to her boyfriend/husband. Even though Orman was joking, it was totally inappropriate. But she knows that she can get away with such comments because as a woman she can joke about domestic violence as long as the victim is a man. In another segment, Orman told a woman caller that her live-in boyfriend should pay the majority of the household living expenses because he made more money than her. Sorry Suze. This is the 21st century. Men are not walking wallets. It's not the responsibility of men to subsidize women. Now, it would have been different if Orman also suggested that the woman compensate by doing the majority of the household cooking and cleaning. But Orman didn't recommend this. Her attitude was, "You go girl. You're an independent career woman and your boyfriend should subsidize your life." Yeah, right.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
In another segment, Orman told a woman caller that her live-in boyfriend should pay the majority of the household living expenses because he made more money than her. Sorry Suze. This is the 21st century. Men are not walking wallets. It's not the responsibility of men to subsidize women. Now, it would have been different if Orman also suggested that the woman compensate by doing the majority of the household cooking and cleaning. But Orman didn't recommend this. Her attitude was, "You go girl. You're an independent career woman and your boyfriend should subsidize your life." Yeah, right.
Shawn, no matter how young you are you aren't going to live long enough to see an end to this stuff. Accept reality- a woman operates a toll booth, if you want what is on the other side, just pay the toll and enjoy the ride. I think the only control we have as men is to be sure that the payoff is worth the price, and that we don't take out any long term contracts. Women seem to work harder on commission. (Of course men do too!)

Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
a woman is a toll booth, if you want what is on the other side, just pay the toll and enjoy the ride.
It took me quite a while to find a suitable toll booth image for this post, Ha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg other-forms-of-payment.jpg (34.9 KB, 216 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Sarah, you are a very tolerant moderator, and a very cool woman.

I can't quite stop laughing.

Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Alright boys--must be desperate for entertainment if you are imagining Suze Orman naked, but whatever.
We took some young folks to see Dave Ramsey when he came to town a few weeks ago...
The heck with the boys. I'm a little concerned about the image created by your deliberate juxtaposition of the words "naked" and "Dave Ramsey"...

Almost as bad as "Ray Lucia" and his "buckets"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Okay - I occasionally watch the SO show for entertainment value
DH can't stand the women and makes me change the channel.
Anyway, maybe she didn't listen to us, but she sure listens to Suze.
Last week she came by the house to pick up a package. It was something she bought from Suze Orman called the Ultimate Protection Portfolio. A water resistant case with CDs, folders, forms etc. for organizing all your records in one spot. If she follows through on completing the package, she will be more organized and prepared then DH and I.
So, I have a kinder view of Ms. Orman now.
Spouse had me research Suze's portfolio, and thank goodness we already had our stuff in one sack. I'd hate to have to admit to anyone, let alone my spouse, that Suze could teach me anything about life/financial/estate planning.

Suze's delivery makes Dr. Laura & Dr. Phil come across as mellow as Barney the Purple Dinosaur.

When spouse is all out of videotapes or other TV to watch, and she's just looking for mindless entertainment, she brings up Suze's "Can I Afford It." She's learned not to be drinking anything or eating choke-possible foods during the presentation. And if our daughter walks by during the show, it's usually a valuable teaching moment.

I think that a few episodes of "Can I Afford It?" should be mandatory viewing in teenager's financial-management classes. It's more entertaining than Beavis & Butthead, and no one would dare fall asleep during that spiel.

As for the members of this board, we could learn a lot about the members of the consumer economy by seeing what they consider to be important enough to risk being humiliated by Suze on national TV. Even when she approves their request, they're still humiliated!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
And if our daughter walks by during the show, it's usually a valuable teaching moment...I think that a few episodes of "Can I Afford It?" should be mandatory viewing in teenager's financial-management classes. It's more entertaining than Beavis & Butthead, and no one would dare fall asleep during that spiel.
When I used to pick our oldest kid up from school I had either Dave Ramsey of Clark Howard's show on the radio. The stories would have us laughing all the way home. It's amazing how much the kid picked up from listening to those shows.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #35

Quote:

We took some young folks to see Dave Ramsey when he came to town a few weeks ago, and as others have said, his advice is not for the folks on this board, but it is where some of us started. It was a great program, inspiring and upbeat, and I saw a lot of enthused faces in the (huge) crowd.
I have no problem with folks getting the "be smart with money" info from Dave or from Suze. Much of our path to FIRE is paved with advice from Dave--and I did get a huge amount of satisfaction from yelling we're debt free on his radio program when we paid off the house!
Suze is nerve-wracking to listen to, no dispute with that!

Are we being bad? Are you going to moderate us? Oh and what a special picture you found
Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #36

Quote:

I know bunch of pigs! GOSH
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I speak for all of us when I say that picturing Suze naked never came into the equation. It was just that weird lesbian thing that got all all curious.

Not for any particularly good reason.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #38

Quote:
I think I speak for all of us when I say that picturing Suze naked never came into the equation. It was just that weird lesbian thing that got all all curious.

Not for any particularly good reason.
Wait who was picturing her naked? The devil eye'd thing picture in leopard skin...ahhh oh yaa.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #39

I've learned quite a lot from listening/watching these two financial "gurus." Plus, it's kind of entertaining. "Can I afford my own personal robot?" (on Suze Orman's "can I afford it?" segment. Her books are excellent too.

Also, Dave is admirable in the way he coaches people in dealing with collection agencies, which are, as he says, "Out of control!" and "Idiots in a cubicle." I had no idea how they harass people until I listened to his show. I also had no idea that CC companies can raise your rate so easily, for example, just because you applied for another CC. What a world!

So, I'm happy to recommend either of these advisors to my kids, my family members, my friends, if they seem to want more financial info.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Sarah,
What is being depicted in that last drawing? Is that someone with a sheep?? Huh?
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote