Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I still think it's on the high side of what's fair but I figured I'd lock in this sure thing reduction this year, and if the other homes haven't "caught up" next year I'll likely repeat the process.
Sounds reasonable. You can take satisfaction in moving them from a planned increase to what looks to be a ~10% decrease. One heck of a lot better than I ended up...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Depends on where you buy and how much you'll have in exemptions. For us -- a homestead but no other exemptions -- it would have been $1,292 with the original appraisal.

With our reduction in appraisal, plugging in the numbers looks like it will be $1,119. Heck, that $173 savings this year buys a tank of gas....

When we first moved here in '06, we inherited a senior exemption AND a disabled exemption for that year from the prior occupant, and we paid about $230 in property tax.
Thanks, high but not as bad as I thought. I am paying Missouri $4300 a year between the state income tax and the house tax. That's why I am looking at Texas. The homestead in texas is 15k if I remember right?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
The homestead in texas is 15k if I remember right?
Texas Property Tax Exemptions

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Depends on where you buy and how much you'll have in exemptions. For us -- a homestead but no other exemptions -- it would have been $1,292 with the original appraisal.

With our reduction in appraisal, plugging in the numbers looks like it will be $1,119. Heck, that $173 savings this year buys a tank of gas....

When we first moved here in '06, we inherited a senior exemption AND a disabled exemption for that year from the prior occupant, and we paid about $230 in property tax.

Thanks, high but not as bad as I thought. I am paying Missouri $4300 a year between the state income tax and the house tax. That's why I am looking at Texas.

You know that the people in NJ are laughing at both of us.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
You know that the people in NJ are laughing at both of us.
Well yeah -- both Texas and Jersey have very high property tax rates, but at least in TX property values are generally not too high. Jersey has the double whammy of a high rate AND high housing costs. Add to that the NJ state income tax and they really take it in the shorts -- at least TX can justify the high property taxes with the lack of an income tax.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of living, property tax