Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Missouri has yearly personal property tax on your car, boat, and such items. I don't recall the rate but I figured out last week that it would be over $400 for a $25K car.

$400 sounds a little high....Last year I had 4 vehicles and 1 classic car listed and the state bill was $495 and the city $45. I live in a fairly high tax rate city/county.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
When you talk $$per foot you need to look at the competing dwellings.
Yep.
Quote:
One story is more per foot than multi story.
All but one of the four are one story - like ours. And wouldn't you know it, the house with the highest appraisal ($126 sf) is a two story. Makes no sense.
Quote:
When you talk $$per foot you need to look at the competing dwellings.
Then if some have high cost features like central vac, marble counters etc, etc, that goes into the figure also.
I've been in three of them and the level of finish out isn't significantly different from what we have.
Quote:
Age of the house should be like 5 to 8 apart.
All these houses were built within 5 years of ours.
Quote:
You really need to show the reason those homes are higher is because they deserve to be and your doesn't......you know, overrun with snakes and stuff.
Sure. The snakes and scorpions are much worse over here across the street.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
$400 sounds a little high....Last year I had 4 vehicles and 1 classic car listed and the state bill was $495 and the city $45. I live in a fairly high tax rate city/county.
Wow, that sounds a lot better!! Maybe I'm calculating it wrong, I dunno. Or maybe Springfield is different. Here's the link with the info (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.business4springfield.com/...hics/taxes.htm

It says the personal property tax rate is $4.9487 per $100 of assessed value, and that the assessed value is 1/3 of the appraised value.

So, if my car is worth $25K, I would infer that the tax is

(($25000/3)/100) x 4.9487 = $412.39

Is that incorrect? I am thinking this may vary from place to place in the state. Maybe there is a city or county tax included.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It says the personal property tax rate is $4.9487 per $100 of assessed value, and that the assessed value is 1/3 of the appraised value.

Is that incorrect? I am thinking this may vary from place to place in the state. Maybe there is a city or county tax included.
I have limited experience since I've only lived in WI and we don't have anything like that, but is this type of tax common? How is it collected?

I guess WI is happy enough with the sales tax when you buy the vehicle, and the (fairly-low at $70) annual registration fee for the vehicle. We make up for it with real estate property (& other) taxes, it seems.

Being taxed year after year on the value of your car is foreign to me.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #85

Scorpions, rattlesnakes and #@%$*&!

I thought from the title you were referring to the market over the last week.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I have limited experience since I've only lived in WI and we don't have anything like that, but is this type of tax common? How is it collected?

I guess WI is happy enough with the sales tax when you buy the vehicle, and the (fairly-low at $70) annual registration fee for the vehicle. We make up for it with real estate property (& other) taxes, it seems.

Being taxed year after year on the value of your car is foreign to me.
Some, states have personal property tax, but I don't consider it to be usual. I recall paying personal property tax each year on our boat when living in California.

According to the Greene County Tax Collector's office, a bill is sent to each owner of a car, boat, RV, or whatever, every November.

I still want to move to Missouri! But I am hoping that JPatrick is right, and that I forgot to take something into account in my computations.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #87

Quote:
Wow, that sounds a lot better!! Maybe I'm calculating it wrong, I dunno. Or maybe Springfield is different. Here's the link with the info (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.business4springfield.com/...hics/taxes.htm

The difference may be in the county rate. Ours is .o41142 on 19% of value. A bit lower. I don't know the city figure, but it is pretty insignificant.
A pain in the backside, but when all the checks are written (state income tax, pers prop, and real estate) I'm still ahead of where I was in Texas. And way fewer scorpions. A few bears, some snakes, but no fire ants.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The difference may be in the county rate. Ours is .o41142 on 19% of value. A bit lower. I don't know the city figure, but it is pretty insignificant.
A pain in the backside, but when all the checks are written (state income tax, pers prop, and real estate) I'm still ahead of where I was in Texas. And way fewer scorpions. A few bears, some snakes, but no fire ants.
If it's the city tax, I might be able to live (essentially) in Springfield, but just outside the city line and avoid it. People do that here - - often people have their cars registered to an address in a suburb just outside of New Orleans to avoid a couple of hundred dollars in personal property taxes that would be required in the city per se.

Hmm!! Food for thought.

On the other hand, if it's a county tax then I will just have to pay it if I want to live in town.

You're right - - $400 is chicken feed compared with the property taxes in Texas. No fire ants? Now there's a bonus I hadn't thought of.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #89

Did you mention to them that your house is located in Texas? That alone should be enough to get the taxes down... adverse living conditions and all that ;-)
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm waiting for his call to see what new number they come up with. If they go for it my 24% increase will be reduced to 14%...
After waiting a week without hearing from the county appraisal office, I gave them a call. The appraiser I spoke to last Monday was apologetic for failing to call me back, put me on hold for two minutes, then came back with a revised appraisal number - an increase of 13%. Guess in this case it paid (or at least was less taxing) to be a squeaky wheel.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After waiting a week without hearing from the county appraisal office, I gave them a call. The appraiser I spoke to last Monday was apologetic for failing to call me back, put me on hold for two minutes, then came back with a revised appraisal number - an increase of 13%. Guess in this case it paid (or at least was less taxing) to be a squeaky wheel.
I'm waiting for a callback, too. I was already told by the appraiser that he could "drop" the appraisal 2% (still +3% from last year and still way higher than others nearby are assessed). He said he'd personally come by and inspect our house's condition relative to others to see if it justifies the much higher appraisal relative to our neighbors, and if not, he might be able to offer a better offer to avoid a hearing. That was more than a week ago. Haven't heard yet, but I have until the 27th to file a protest.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #92

Ziggy, call him back. Among other things that will make it clear to him you aren't going away. I imagine they are covered up with calls and complaints, so if you're persistent, polite and have the comparisons to prove your case you should see a decent adjustment without having to formally file a protest.

If not, load up your Powerpoint presentation and let 'em have it!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #93
gone traveling

I live in Dallas County... and believe it or not, I recently received
notice my appraisal has been lowered... only a few hundred dollars...
but hey !
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I live in Dallas County... and believe it or not, I recently received
notice my appraisal has been lowered... only a few hundred dollars...
but hey !
Mistakes do happen occasionally...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ziggy, call him back. Among other things that will make it clear to him you aren't going away. I imagine they are covered up with calls and complaints, so if you're persistent, polite and have the comparisons to prove your case you should see a decent adjustment without having to formally file a protest.

If not, load up your Powerpoint presentation and let 'em have it!
Don't need to -- he just came over today to inspect the property and called me back to offer to lower the appraisal from $89K to $76K, which I'm inclined to accept.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Don't need to -- he just came over today to inspect the property and called me back to offer to lower the appraisal from $89K to $76K, which I'm inclined to accept.
How much are the taxes on 89k in texas? I was looking to spend around the same money on a home.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
How much are the taxes on 89k in texas? I was looking to spend around the same money on a home.
Depends on where you buy and how much you'll have in exemptions. For us -- a homestead but no other exemptions -- it would have been $1,292 with the original appraisal.

With our reduction in appraisal, plugging in the numbers looks like it will be $1,119. Heck, that $173 savings this year buys a tank of gas....

When we first moved here in '06, we inherited a senior exemption AND a disabled exemption for that year from the prior occupant, and we paid about $230 in property tax.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Won't that still result in an assessed value per SF significantly higher than your neighbors? (I'm looking back at the info you shared in post #32.)

The appraiser here agreed to take the average per SF appraisal of my 4 nearest neighbors and use it to determine my value. Might that arguement be worth running by the powers that be in a formal protest?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Won't that still result in an assessed value per SF significantly higher than your neighbors? (I'm looking back at the info you shared in post #32.)?
Significantly higher than the one next door, but in reality it's in crap condition. At $55 per SF it's still higher than my neighbors but I think my house is at least in marginally better condition than most of them. I still think it's on the high side of what's fair but I figured I'd lock in this sure thing reduction this year, and if the other homes haven't "caught up" next year I'll likely repeat the process.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #100

Just talked to the district. Got them to knock it back to last year's value. As I turn 65 this year that is important as it will freeze the school and county taxes.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of living, property tax