Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Scott Burns doesn't want us to retire!
Old 11-05-2003, 04:41 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Uncle,
I agree.......

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do......at the end of the day, I only have half of it done....

Billy
Website http://www.geocities.com/ba264

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #22

Your chances of winning the big price is the same whether you buy a ticket or NOT to 5 or 6 decimal places(ie. ZERO=0.00000). Do keep buying those tickets, I'm sure your 10 millionth ticket might just be the winner!! Maybe we need a national lottery to bankroll SS in the future and recipients could opt to get their benefits in cash or lottery tickets. Could be a big time saver for some people..

You know nothing of me but your mind is sooo made up. Typical. Too bad you didn't read everything else I wrote or had someone else read it too you. Or tried to understand it. But this is exactly what I have come to expect from so many on boards like this.

I'm a retired, millionaire, at 38 but I'm mathematically ignorant?

You'll be so glad to know this is my last post.
Throw a party

Old 11-05-2003, 08:32 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Does someone have a link to the Scott Burns article? *I'd like to take a look at it.
You could try looking for it at dallasnews.com

Some content you can view, a lot of it requires a log-in, and the rest they want $ for. And, IIRC, some of the newest articles won't be there for a while. I suspect so there is no financial loss to newspaper sales.

I did not include a link, because I really hate clicking on links that users on bulletin boards provide, that take you to a page whereupon you have to "log-in" to view anything.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:12 AM   #24

Hi Telly! Re. "links/log in", me too. Can be a pain.
I still like Scott Burns though, probably because he
reinforces what I already believe more often than not.

John Galt
Old 11-06-2003, 04:55 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to read a lot Scot Burns when his early webstite was free(no log in) but don't anymore(screw Dallas MN) so I get him 'second hand' now a days. One of these days I'll grow up - scrap webtv and get a real computer - log in and put up with spam like my friends with 'real machines'.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:57 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My guess is that if "makeitwork" really is a millionaire, he was one of those extremely rare and lucky individuals who did win a lottery.

IMO, lotteries are about the worst form of social/economic policy around, because (1) they take money mostly from lower income people and then (2) transfer it in a way that gives a very few people much more than they need for happiness, or that they can handle wisely to their benefit and that of the overall economy. A third item is that they are somewhat fraudulent, in that the advertised jackpots are paid over decades with no interest.

At least there should be a reasonable cap on the amount paid to any one winner, such as $3 million that would allow them to retire comfortably if they chose. I know that studies have been done that show that purchases of lottery tickets are encouraged by extremely large jackpots, but, hey, these lotteries are government enterprises that are supposed to be socially beneficial. Capping the jackpots would allow a lot more people to be winners.

I periodically have the opportunity to vote on lotteries and gambling legalization issues and almost always abstain. The economist in me recognizes that they are basically a tax on poor fools, but the libertarian in me says that adults should have the right to spend their money as they wish.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:23 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worked arouind lower class people a lot in public health. It is my opinion that lottery tickets are about the least harmful thing that many of these folks could find to spend their money on. Tickets are not available with food stamps- you have to have cash. And that cash is often destined for even less socially or personally useful applications.

Say one of these guys wins a big pot. At the absolute worst, he has a ball for a few years. I am not enough of a Puritan that I don't appreciate that.

I don't particularly enjoy frugality; it is idleness that I find attractive. If my SWR would fund it, I'd be wearing Armani and living in a penthouse overlooking the Golden Gate. Alas, short of a big Powerball win, that isn't going to happen to me. So I can skip one Starbucks a week, and buy myself a ticket. Or I could become a Hindu and start start hoping for my next lifetime. It might be a tough choice except one of the things I want to do with my penthouse is throw barbecues for my friends on my balcony.

Mikey
Old 11-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

If anyone still wants Scott Burns site. It is .........
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/scottburns/