Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To quote Bugs Bunny:

"He don't know me very well, do he?"

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Art, I'm sure you are sincere, but I think you have misjudged the tone of this forum. Transparency brings a certain amount of credibility - I think that is human nature. Many here know that I retired from a US auto company, so when I defend US automakers, I'm sincere, but I also certainly want my pension to continue!

If you look at the number of posts that any member has made, you can roughly judge how much they have divulged about themselves. So, I think it is reasonable for people to want to know more about you to evaluate your arguments in context.
Travel.....I hear what you are saying, however you must understand that if someone comes to a public forum claiming to be a financial advisor then they are claiming themselves an expert at some level and can be held accountable for their advice.
Again, consider me merely a knowledgeable investor, and I will try my best to honestly answer with my opinions on products. In my mind, to judge someone on here by their lives outside of here is just plain silly. If you favor the auto industry then it will come out in your posts and people will consider it as such. If I were to ask you a question about, say GM, and your answer didn't fit with my impression then the fact that you worked for them is of no matter. I'd consider your viewpoint, decide if it held truth in my mind, and act accordingly. Again, if I state that there are positives to a particular product and you disagree with cogent reasons as to why I am incorrect, then it's totally moot as to my or your background. Either the product does what it claims or it doesn't.
Believe me, I am not limited to talking about one product. Since you've mentioned the auto industry, I'd like your opinion on something. I recently had lunch with Professor Moshe Milevsky (he had some interesting thoughts on living benefits) and he was discussing the problem with GM and Ford being the amount of retirees in relation to working employees has managed to turn GM into a health care and retirement fund instead of a car builder. I'm curious as to your thoughts for GM and Ford to ever bail themselves out of their retirement mess, short of taking out hits on retirees?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
To quote Bugs Bunny:

"He don't know me very well, do he?"
Nope, but your posts speak volumes. You are a blowhard.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Nope, but your posts speak volumes. You are a blowhard.
Keep it up and I will having you say the "H" word by the end of the day.

- George Orwell

Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #45

Quote:
Keep it up and I will having you say the "H" word by the end of the day.
Yeah, I'm pretty much done with you. I hate to waste bandwidth. You are quite the cunning linguist.
Is there anyone else who would care to have an intellectual discussion?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......... I recently had lunch with Professor Moshe Milevsky (he had some interesting thoughts on living benefits) and he was discussing the problem with GM and Ford being the amount of retirees in relation to working employees has managed to turn GM into a health care and retirement fund instead of a car builder. I'm curious as to your thoughts for GM and Ford to ever bail themselves out of their retirement mess, short of taking out hits on retirees?
I believe the recent contract settlements with the UAW are a major turning point. The hourly employee retiree health care plans have been turned over to the union to administer and the union has agreed to a two tier wage scale, whereby new hires will make 1/2 the hourly wages and also will not be eligible for the same generous pension and retirement health care of 1st tier employees. Whether this is too little, too late, remains to be seen. Needless to say, I'm hoping they make it for my and many other's sake.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty much done with you. I hate to waste bandwidth. You are quite the cunning linguist.
Is there anyone else who would care to have an intellectual discussion?
Whatever you say, Salesman Art.

How are those trail commissions treating you?

- George Orwell

Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I believe the recent contract settlements with the UAW are a major turning point. The hourly employee retiree health care plans have been turned over to the union to administer and the union has agreed to a two tier wage scale, whereby new hires will make 1/2 the hourly wages and also will not be eligible for the same generous pension and retirement health care of 1st tier employees. Whether this is too little, too late, remains to be seen. Needless to say, I'm hoping they make it for my and many other's sake.
Yeah, Toyota, Honda and Nissan definitely have a benefit in the earnings dept. as far as not having to deal with unions. My father-in-law is a GM retiree, so I can definitely relate with those who put in their time and counted on GM to live up to their end of the bargain. However, as an investor, seeing the numbers is most disheartening. I wish I could find the actual numbers, but it was something like 1,023 retirees for every current employee at GM, and 550 retirees for every working employee at Ford, while Toyota had something like 3 to one or somesuch. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Whatever you say, Salesman Art.

How are those trail commissions treating you?
LOL! Oooooh, good one. Can I rely on further such clever retorts from you?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since I started this thread, I think I'll also be the one to end it...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ROTFLOL! Your disclaimer states that people should consult with their own financial advisor, and then you go on a rampage to blast them. For your information, just so you don't look quite so foolish in the future, there is no such thing as an "annuity salesman". In order to sell a VA, you must pass the Series 7 and Series 63 tests (at the very least). These people are known as financial consultants and the very people who you advise others to consult with as opposed to taking your own advice.
I'm guessing that you will not, and have never taken a test as difficult and complete as the Series 7. Unless of course you are a CPA or medical doctor. Of course you still haven't told us about your own occupation.
You must be a gas at parties. Are you the guy off arguing with the bartender about how he doesn't know how to mix drinks?
Actually, you only need a Series 6 to sell a VA....but I digress..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since I started this thread, I think I'll also be the one to end it...
Cool! So the "Moderator Bat Signal" worked...

- George Orwell

Closed Thread