Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Scott Burns -- You're Saving Too Much to Retire
Old 07-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #61

Count in another who will very probably be in Thailand this fall.* I also plan to return to Burma/Myanmar and visit Laos for the first time, but Bangkok will probably be more or less a base of operations in October/November.* October 3 is my last day at work, and I want to poke more around southeast Asia and central/south America before I launch the gameplan.*

I find this thread quite interesting.* I've always had a "gut" feel, based on observation and discusssions with family and friends, that retirement costs decrease dramatically as you bump along in decades.* My retirement income will effectively be 100% COLA'd pension--not enough in my 40's and 50's; probably way more than adequate in my 70's and 80's.* I'm trying to bend my inflexible pension to meet my income needs.* The default strategy is to sell the bubbled-out house, chill out as an ex-pat in a low cost of living area for a few years, then buy a home outright when the foreclosures peak in a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Sure Ben let's knock down a few Beer Changs. If there are 3 or more ER's in a Beer Garden does that qualify as a convention This could be a first!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Perhaps so, perhaps so - I forget my past tendency to get a tad overzealous on frugal. My one year 12k budget early on - caused a minor rebellion and things like rebuilding the front porch from scrap hurricane debris MIGHT not be the approach of some ER's.
Good for you! You cleaned up some mess and saved a tree in the process. I hear that old barns are being torn down and the wood sold at high prices for its "rustic" appeal. Maybe there is a side industry there in hurricane debris . . . . ?

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tozz,
Cool! We usually base out of Chiang Mai, but do move around when ever we get the bug. Laos is very laidback. Now it's offical, we have the first ER Convention scheduled for Thailand, 2005.

Maybe we can qualify for discounts!...

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2

Perhaps so, perhaps so - I forget my past tendency to get a tad overzealous on frugal. My one year 12k budget early on - caused a minor rebellion and things like rebuilding the front porch from scrap hurricane debris MIGHT not be the approach of some ER's.

Although - given statistics - there HAS to be more than one left handed, INTJ, mildly insane ER out there - can't just be me.
Don't worry Uncle...you've got a relative to make it at least two INTJs that are ultracheap bastards out here in one of the most affluent countries in the world. I just love getting by on as little as possible.

Unfortunately, I never got around to keeping track of my budgets until last year. If I had kept track, I know the first few years out of college would have been much less than just 10% of your 12k record (hey, living at home, driving a company car with company-paid gas/oil/maintenance/health insurance and not pissing away my money at the bars sure does help in some exponential growth of the savings stash...now the fun begins in trying to meet my better half ).

--Peter
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

And tozz too! Billy and Lancelot; looks like we gotta arrange for a bus soon!

preben is offline   Reply With Quote